Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    Confirms it, Boeheim is a tool.
    Luckily for Boeheim he may get to visit the big city again for the NIT finals.

Quote Originally Posted by fisheyes View Post
    That shot was insane! It may be the difference maker! Gott a love the new and improved Deacs.
    Seriously, he wasn't even trying. Same "shot" made in 50% of games at the end of a half. Stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    This is a bad idea. Want to know why? We are now one favorite-seed win tonight from having six of the top 8 in the quatrerfinals, and two wins away from having a guarantee of one of the top six in the final.

In a straight draw with no byes? You might have a chance. In a tournament in which the top 4 get a double bye and have of your underdogs are guaranteed to be eliminated before the quarters, that is a bad bet.
    You're right. I didn't really think about the implications of the funky double bye setup. My prediction would be much better applied for a normal 15 team setup where the top seed gets one bye and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Seriously, he wasn't even trying. Same "shot" made in 50% of games at the end of a half. Stunning.
    Hokies' payback for Les Henson, 1980: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC2Qbxkr2_s

Quote Originally Posted by vick View Post
    I sort-of agree with Boeheim, in that I think the pro-Greensboro old-guard can be a little tiresome, but I loved Greensboro's reply.
    That was hilarious.

Funny to see high Point's supportive gif in the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by fisheyes View Post
    That shot was insane! It may be the difference maker! Gott a love the new and improved Deacs.
    Ran out of steam. Hokies with a huge half.

This is a bad idea. Want to know why? We are now one favorite-seed win tonight from having six of the top 8 in the quatrerfinals, and two wins away from having a guarantee of one of the top six in the final.

In a straight draw with no byes? You might have a chance. In a tournament in which the top 4 get a double bye and have of your underdogs are guaranteed to be eliminated before the quarters, that is a bad bet.
    Perhaps the best way to return the sense of "anyone can win" to the ACCT would be to eliminate the double-bye altogether. To do so, you basically need to institute a bracket with the only bye going to the regular season champs and the rest of the teams playing in the first round. Seven games in one venue on a single day is a no-go, however, so here's what I'd do. Round 1 pits 15v2, 14v3, 13v4, 12v5, 11v6, 10v7, and 8v9. Seeds 2, 3, 4 and 5 get to play their games on Tuesday, and the other three games get played on Wednesday. Play these first 7 games at the home court of the higher seeds (i.e., at the home court of the 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 seeds). Thursday is a travel day, then Friday begins the 8-team tourney we all know and love... I hate the unbalanced regular season and the single-/double-bye unbalanced advantage of the new ACC Tourney. Equalize that crap as much as humanly possible...

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    Perhaps the best way to return the sense of "anyone can win" to the ACCT would be to eliminate the double-bye altogether. To do so, you basically need to institute a bracket with the only bye going to the regular season champs and the rest of the teams playing in the first round. Seven games in one venue on a single day is a no-go, however, so here's what I'd do. Round 1 pits 15v2, 14v3, 13v4, 12v5, 11v6, 10v7, and 8v9. Seeds 2, 3, 4 and 5 get to play their games on Tuesday, and the other three games get played on Wednesday. Play these first 7 games at the home court of the higher seeds (i.e., at the home court of the 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 seeds). Thursday is a travel day, then Friday begins the 8-team tourney we all know and love... I hate the unbalanced regular season and the single-/double-bye unbalanced advantage of the new ACC Tourney. Equalize that crap as much as humanly possible...
    I disagree with the idea of equalizing the tourney as much as possible. I mean, if you are just going to make it a complete toss-up, why even play a regular season at all?

The unbalanced schedule is far from perfect. But let's not make it even worse. At least this way we are more likely to have the champ be from among the best teams in the conference.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Ran out of steam. Hokies with a huge half.
    Unlike previous years, a lot of the games yesterday and today were darn good ball games played at a high level. Solidifies in my mind just how good the teams in this league are this season. Outside of BC an State, these teams can play with anyone. Good stuff.

Looking forward to this Pitt/UVA game coming up...

Given Boeheim's past connection to slander (literally), maybe it's best to not give too much credence to his off-the-cuff musings.

UVa is looking better with Kyle Guy playing more. They now have an offensive weapon. I think they will reach at least the semis.

The ACC is not making it easy on the Selection Committee.

I think either Syracuse and/or Wake Forest clinches a bid with a win Wednesday. By losing, they are going to have to sweat the next four days.

Interesting comparison:

Wake 19-13 ... No. 31 in the RPI ... No. 23 SOS

Syracuse 18-14 ... No. 75 in the RPI ... No. 59 SOS

Syracuse has one edge -- three wins over the top 50- (to just two for Wake). Okay, Syracuse also has a head-to-head win over Wake -- but that was a six-point win at home.

A couple of other points in Wake's favor:

If you prefer Pomeroy, Wake (No. 31) is higher than Syracuse (No. 47)

Wake has more top 100 wins (6 to 5).

Wake doesn't have a bad loss. Their worst loss was to No. 75 Syracuse (at Syracuse). Syracuse has a bunch of bad losses -- five losses to teams over 100 in the RPI, one to a team over 200!

The dreaded "Who you choose to play" which has been very important to the committee in recent years. Wake's non-conference SOS is No. 16 nationally ... Syracuse's is No. 214,

Also Syracuse has a problem in that 16 of its 18 wins were in the Carrier Dome ... Wake also has a homecourt problem, but the Deacs have eight wins away from Joel ... that's a big difference.

Now, both may get in and both may be left out, but if one of the two has to get in, I think Wake has the better case.

One interesting note_ No team has ever gotten an at large bid with an RPI as bad as Syracuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    The ACC is not making it easy on the Selection Committee.

I think either Syracuse and/or Wake Forest clinches a bid with a win Wednesday. By losing, they are going to have to sweat the next four days.
    These teams already played and lost.

Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post
    These teams already played and lost.
    Someone misread Oly's post.

Read the next line after the part you bolded.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Someone misread Oly's post.

Read the next line after the part you bolded.
    No I didn't. Olympic was writing as if the games hadn't already happened.

I could be wrong but don't think so. I think he was saying if they won their games today they would be in but by losing they now have to sweat it out for the next 4 days... That's how I read it anyway... He knew they had both lost I believe...

UVa is looking better with Kyle Guy playing more. They now have an offensive weapon. I think they will reach at least the semis.
    Looking way down the road, if we are fortunate enough to make it to the finals, I think UVA would be the best realistic potential opponent we could hope for. Based on the way we match up and the fact they will have played the same number of games and played later every night.

No, he wasn't. Read the next sentence in his post. Or the rest of the post altogether. What you are missing is the implied "if either had" in the sentence you bolded. But the entire post is talking about how Wake and Syracuse made it tough on the conference by losing.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerDevil View Post
    Looking way down the road, if we are fortunate enough to make it to the finals, I think UVA would be the best realistic potential opponent we could hope for. Based on the way we match up and the fact they will have played the same number of games and played later every night.
    Yeah, I am hopeful that Miami beats UNC and either Va Tech or UVa makes the finals.

No, he wasn't. Read the next sentence in his post. Or the rest of the post altogether. What you are missing is the implied "if either had" in the sentence you bolded. But the entire post is talking about how Wake and Syracuse made it tough on the conference by losing.
    There is nothing implied there. It's a purely speculative sentence.