Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

ACC Tournament 2017

Just six days ago, NC State beat Clemson in Clemson, but the Pack is really struggling in the ACC Tournament opener.

Clemson leads 39-28 at the half ... thanks to a bonehead play at the end of the half by Terry Henderson.

Clemson is up 36-28 and misses a shot with about 15 seconds left. Henderson gets the long rebound and pushes it up the floor (forgetting the clock), He goes 1-on-4 and has his shot swatted away with just under 10 seconds left. Clemson pushes it up and gets a wide open 3 at the buzzer to stretch the lead to 11.

Terrible game by Dennis Smith so far -- 3 assists, 3 turnovers. He is 1-of-6 from the floor ... finally hitting his first shot in the last minute of the half. Great half by Blossomgame (14 points).

A lot of talk about the tight rims at the Barclay Center. It does look like an awful lot of long rebounds.

Duke gets the winner of the this game -- it's looking more and more like Clemson.

ACC Tournament

State mailing it in. Clemson motivated and will give us a tough time if 2nd half is like the first.

Brooklyn is empty. This thing needs to come back to NC.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Duke gets the winner of the this game -- it's looking more and more like Clemson.
    That's disappointing. I wanted another crack at State and their Charmin soft defense. Clemson will be much tougher. Sad final college game for Dennis Smith (are they NIT worthy?), hopefully he comes out on fire in the 2nd half.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    That's disappointing. I wanted another crack at State and their Charmin soft defense. Clemson will be much tougher. Sad final college game for Dennis Smith (are they NIT worthy?), hopefully he comes out on fire in the 2nd half.
    No. If they lose today they end the season 15-17 overall and 4-15 in the ACC (season + tournament).

I don't care who wins. I want quadruple overtime though.

It's not like the old days, when all an ACC team needed was a winning record to get an NIT bid.

The NCAA owns the NIT now and the last few years, their selection has been rigorous. Clemson didn't get a bid last year with a 17-14 record and 10-8 in the ACC.

The big question is will Clemson get at NIT bid (assuming they beat State and lose to Duke tomorrow)? I'd call it a tossup.

NC State MIGHT get consideration for the NIT if they make a run to the ACC finals (which gets them to 19-17 overall with some great finishing wins) ... but a loss today or tomorrow? Absolutely no chance.

NC State MIGHT get consideration for the NIT if they make a run to the ACC finals (which gets them to 19-17 overall with some great finishing wins) ... but a loss today or tomorrow? Absolutely no chance.
    Would be hard to believe that Gott or the players would even want to play in the NIT under the circumstances. I'm sure they're all fierce competitors etc etc but if ever there was a team whose season just needs to end...

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Would be hard to believe that Gott or the players would even want to play in the NIT under the circumstances. I'm sure they're all fierce competitors etc etc but if ever there was a team whose season just needs to end...
    Yeah, they actually turned down an opportunity to play in one of the new post-season tournaments (if my memory serves... which is always in doubt) last year. So I have no idea what would be gained for them in extending an even worse season. I think they're ready for it to be over, too.

ETA: I must admit that a) I wanted another chance at NCSU and b) I cannot justify this, but I really love Anya. I always have, and I know there are tons of knocks against him, but I love his good nature and cheering for his teammates from the bench, even when he isn't played in the game. I hope he can get his weight under control, because I wish him the best and am sad to see his basketball career end in this way.

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    ... Brooklyn is empty. This thing needs to come back to NC.
    It's opening Tuesday of the ACC Tournament: I'm sure school teachers are rolling TVs into classrooms in Chestnut Hill, MA and Pittsburgh, PA right now, given the excitement, history, tradition, and passion of the expanded ACC.

Going to restate my crazy prediction that the winner will not be UNC, Louisville, FSU, Notre Dame, UVA, or Duke. The middle of the ACC is very good, feels like a year where a fringe tournament team or bubble team can do it...

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Going to restate my crazy prediction that the winner will not be UNC, Louisville, FSU, Notre Dame, UVA, or Duke. The middle of the ACC is very good, feels like a year where a fringe tournament team or bubble team can do it...
    I'll take those 6 teams. You can have the rest of the field

Count me in for that one...I'll take those 6 against your field.

Miami? Wake Forest? Syracuse??!?
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

It's not like the old days, when all an ACC team needed was a winning record to get an NIT bid.

The NCAA owns the NIT now and the last few years, their selection has been rigorous. Clemson didn't get a bid last year with a 17-14 record and 10-8 in the ACC.

The big question is will Clemson get at NIT bid (assuming they beat State and lose to Duke tomorrow)? I'd call it a tossup.

Huh? If they win today, lose tomorrow, Clemson's record be WORSE this season than last (when you say they didn't get a berth). They're current 16-14 overall and 6-12 in the ACC. Tough to reconcile the NIT having a rigorous selection, but Clemson somehow getting in with that resume...unless you're suggesting the possible pool is much worse this year (not likely).

Anybody know what sections Duke has inside Barclays Center? Thx

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Huh? If they win today, lose tomorrow, Clemson's record be WORSE this season than last (when you say they didn't get a berth). They're current 16-14 overall and 6-12 in the ACC. Tough to reconcile the NIT having a rigorous selection, but Clemson somehow getting in with that resume...unless you're suggesting the possible pool is much worse this year (not likely).
    Different year, different fields -- even with a 17-15 record, Clemson has a better RPI and a stronger resume than the teams they will be competing against. the pool IS weaker this year. As I said, it's a tossup.

Clemson did finish with a 75-61 win ... Blossomgame and Mitchell had terrific games for the Tigers. Smith was awful in his final game in a Wolfpack uniform.

One issue for Clemson going forward -- Avry Holmes, their best 3-point shooter, rolled an ankle early in the second half. It looked bad. He was treated in the locker room and returned to the bench, but not to the game. The ESPN sideline reporter said that he could have returned and is expected to be available tomorrow ... still you've got to worry (sometimes the second day is worse for a sprained ankle).

State's losing means Duke won't face NC State for a fourth straight tournament. Personally, I'd have rather played them than Clemson -- the Tigers are better and I would have loved to get revenge for the loss to State in Cameron.

Next up is Wake Forest-Boston College ... with Wake firmly on the bubble (among the last four in for both Palm and Lunardi), they can't afford a loss to a sub-100 team. Not saying a win over BC gets them in, but a loss almost certainly knocks them out.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    Anybody know what sections Duke has inside Barclays Center? Thx
    Any section Duke wants DUKE gets! LETS DO THIS!

Yeah, I'll probably go for Wake Forest, in an apathetic sort of way. I'm editing a show where a plastic surgeon gives people new faces, and so far, the ACCT hasn't really tempted me away from this ridiculous show. Was hoping the NCSU game would, but no such luck.

Can the mods please merge the two ACC Tournament threads?

I'll take the top 6 but
    I do think WF can make a run in this tourney.
    Reach out to Vegas you could get some nice odds on that pick