Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Giles

Harry Giles

First of all I feel for the guy. Evidently at one time he was considered a potential NBA super star but suffered several devastating injuries.

But its hard for me to see why an NBA team would draft him in the first round. While he has shown a few flashes, much of the time he seems lost. He really is very inexperienced. The game has not slowed down for him. So do you draft him and send him to the D League and hope he develops and also not suffer another injury.

I know the NBA drafts on potential and maybe anyone after the first few picks is a gamble but its not one I would take.

SoCal

If you had seen Harry play in HS, then you may have a very different opinion. At 100%, Harry is spectacular!

Here's hoping we all see it next year at Duke!

That was now three years ago.

Well

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    If you had seen Harry play in HS, then you may have a very different opinion. At 100%, Harry is spectacular!

For his sake I hope we see it all next year someplace. Duke would certainly be nice.

I have seen flashes of great athleticism. His potential when 100% is not my issue. My problem is that he often looks lost. My understanding is that he has played about one season since 9th grade. He has very little game experience against top talent. He needs to play against good players to adjust to the speed of the game. So an NBA team would need to send him to the D League and hope.

I know he is playing against top players in Duke practices but think he needs real game experience.

SoCal

"I know he is playing against top players in Duke practices but think he needs real game experience."

Won't stop the NBA from taking him in the 1st round.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Won't stop the NBA from taking him in the 1st round.
    IMO, Harry Giles may have a great deal of basketball skill and potential but, to date, he has given no demonstration of the ability to assert those skills against high level competition. I cannot see how any GM could justify anything beyond their 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft - at a late first or, more appropriate, in the 2nd round.

I understand that the general approach is "take the money and run." Setting that aside, if possible, what is best for Harry Giles?

I don't know the answer to that, but I would guess he is gone. I sincerely hope that works out for him.
    This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
    No trees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.

Agree

Word. Saw him twice.

Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    IMO, Harry Giles may have a great deal of basketball skill and potential but, to date, he has given no demonstration of the ability to assert those skills against high level competition. I cannot see how any GM could justify anything beyond their 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft - at a late first or, more appropriate, in the 2nd round.
    They could justify picking Harry based on his potential. He has far more potential than most players, and certainly more than almost any players who will be drafted after the first ten picks.

Don't forget that many first round picks don't make major contributions their first couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    For his sake I hope we see it all next year someplace. Duke would certainly be nice.

I have seen flashes of great athleticism. His potential when 100% is not my issue. My problem is that he often looks lost. My understanding is that he has played about one season since 9th grade. He has very little game experience against top talent. He needs to play against good players to adjust to the speed of the game. So an NBA team would need to send him to the D League and hope.

I know he is playing against top players in Duke practices but think he needs real game experience.

SoCal
    The D-League is real game experience though. Take a look at the top rookies this year and you'll see plenty of players with D-league experience (McGruder, Harrison, etc.). It's not just a dumping ground for low-odds draft picks.

That was his JUNIOR year... He was injured his sophomore year and a second time the first scrimmage of his Senior year (resulting in yet another major surgery0; he then had additional surgery at Duke. He missed the entirety of his senior HS year, any summer scrimmages/pick-up at Duke and all of fall practice. He has gone through a lot of physical changes, injuries, pain and rehab since he last played HS ball. As much as I would like for him to come back next year, I hope he goes number one in the draft. I must admit, I am uncomfortable, FOR him, when he does play. There is always, that underlying concern, that he is going to reinjure himself. He seems like a great young man and I just hope whatever he decides, it works out for him.
    Having said that, I agree with the above post... I just can't imagine a team taking him in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    They could justify picking Harry based on his potential. He has far more potential than most players, and certainly more than almost any players who will be drafted after the first ten picks.

Don't forget that many first round picks don't make major contributions their first couple of years.
    That's exactly right. While this draft is going to be deep, it's not sooooo deep that a team wouldn't take a chance on him in the 20s or more likely the teens of the first round.

It'd be mismanagement NOT to take the chance on Harry after the first 15 picks or so. At that point, it's low risk/cost, but potentially exceptionally high reward.

i believe everyone who doubts harry is worthy of a lottery pick will feel quite foolish 3 years from now (if not next season). i look forward to continuing to root for this likable kid and watching him grow.

In

Quote Originally Posted by Green Wave Dukie View Post
    Word. Saw him twice.
    what level of competition?

Reminder - Chris Burgess
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by bob blue devil View Post
    i believe everyone who doubts harry is worthy of a lottery pick will feel quite foolish 3 years from now (if not next season). i look forward to continuing to root for this likable kid and watching him grow.
    I agree. I have seen glimpses this year. The kid has tremendous rebounding potential and at least once a game, will snag a board by jumping higher and faster than everyone else on the court.

I think there are three questions that NBA GM's will want answers to:

1. Can Harry make the adjustment to the college and then the NBA level, or was he one of those players who relied on his physical advantages in high school but would have had less success against similar athletes even without all the injuries? There are plenty of examples of guys who look amazing in high school but don't make the transition.

2. Can he ever fully recover from his injuries, or has he permanently lost that lateral quickness and explosiveness?

3. Is he at risk of another injury?

These are legitimate questions. And Harry has nothing to demonstrate positive answers to these questions over the past two months IMO. I wouldn't waste a lottery pick on him when there will be many other quality players available who don't have these question marks. Maybe an end of the first round team which already has its roster set would take a flyer on him.

Quote Originally Posted by bob blue devil View Post

If Giles is indeed a first round pick and becomes a success, I will be the first to GLADLY say that I was wrong; and NO ONE will be happier for him than I.

Chad Ford's latest Big Board has Giles going at 13:

"NBA scouts aren't sure what to do with Giles at this point. He plays sporadic minutes for Duke, shows flashes of his old self but is still largely ineffective when he's on the court. He still has the motor that intrigued coming into the season, but his explosiveness and feel just aren't there yet.

Everything on paper screams that Giles needs another year at Duke to really reach his potential. But NBA teams are also aware of just how much potential he has and a number of them told me they'd be willing to gamble on him if he falls outside the top 10"

Unless there are further red flags revealed by a physical, I'd definitely draft him if I were an NBA GM drafting around 8 or lower. The reality is that even the best athletes take a good year to come back fully from the types of surgeries Harry's had, and in most cases that's guys who already have ready made NBA games like Jabari. The whole situation has been very unfortunate for Duke and Coach K, but I assume Harry will be fine a year or two down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by KandG View Post
    Unless there are further red flags revealed by a physical...
    I think this is the key. Things will continue to look murky for Harry until he goes through his series of NBA physicals.