Duke Does Have Soft Rims -- So Does UNC

They've been tested and the rumor is true. No wonder Duke shoots better at home than at some other arenas. Thank goodness UNC also has soft rims.

I'm wondering why a UNC team that is typically near the bottom of the country in three point shots taken would want to use soft rims. Maybe it makes offensive rebounding easier when the ball bounces off closer to the rim?

Also, has anyone tested the backboards at Syracuse to see if they are softer than normal?

I'd love an article on the guy at Virginia who tunes their rims to be as hard as allowable before every game.

(I'm assuming this person exists.)

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    They've been tested and the rumor is true. No wonder Duke shoots better at home than at some other arenas. Thank goodness UNC also has soft rims.
    I thought it was interesting that the article states that nba standards for rims are much "harder" than ncaa. I wonder if this has anything to to with why Ingram seems to be shooting so poorly this year. I'm sure the skill of his opponents and speed of the game is also a factor but it is an interesting possibility.

Austin tested them.. he was perfectly satisfied..
    Although in fairness.. I'm not sure it touched the rim!
    Let's go DUKE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by BluDvlsN1 View Post
    Austin tested them.. he was perfectly satisfied..
    Although in fairness.. I'm not sure it touched the rim!
    Well, that was a great excuse to go back and watch this video to research:

Upon close inspection of Austin's shot, it doesn't look like it touches the rim. If it does, it's a slight glance.

Other notes:

- The rim was perfectly calibrated for Ryan Kelly to rebound his own miss and follow up with a 2-point jumper
    - Tyler Zeller's hand was also perfectly soft to gently nudge Kelly's shot in the basket for 2 points (I remember my mind frantically searching for ways that should have been counted as a 3-pointer; it still feels like it should sometimes, just to penalize the defense)

Quote Originally Posted by Hingeknocker View Post
    Well, that was a great excuse to go back and watch this video to research:
    Perfect, It never gets old..
    Let's go DUKE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    I thought it was interesting that the article states that nba standards for rims are much "harder" than ncaa. I wonder if this has anything to to with why Ingram seems to be shooting so poorly this year. I'm sure the skill of his opponents and speed of the game is also a factor but it is an interesting possibility.
    The bold ended up being what I found most surprising/interesting in the article. NBA requires 20-35% vs. the NCAA requiring 35-50%. That's signficant.

Bottom line:

Somebody with questionable ethics needs to tighten UNC's rims to the level they have at county fairs, and then during halftime loosen them again for Duke.

Unfortunately, I have no mafia connections, although I did meet Tim Donaghy once.

Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post
    Bottom line:

Somebody with questionable ethics needs to tighten UNC's rims to the level they have at county fairs, and then during halftime loosen them again for Duke.

Unfortunately, I have no mafia connections, although I did meet Tim Donaghy once.
    Talk about mixed metaphors!

As J J Redick once said "If you don't like the rims, don't hit the rims!" And he rarely did! LGD GTHc!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com