Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 75, Fla State 70 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Good win. Lots of positives to draw from it. On to The Friggin' Carolina Game.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Could have won by 20. I think we let up too soon. Overall, the defense looked good.

Defense allowed 43 points in the first 30 minutes. That's very good.

Then allowed 27 points on 17 possessions in the last 10 minutes. Even if you don't count the last 3 possessions when it was basically garbage time, it's still 20 point on 14 possessions given up down the stretch. Need to tighten that up.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Gonna be 80 degrees here tomorrow

UVA took the Holes down last night, NEXT??!! GTHC, GTH!!!

9F9F9F9F!!!!!!!

Burn, baby, burn!!!

Good win. A second consecutive game in which Duke made progress following two games (Wake, @Cuse) where it seemed we had regressed on defense.

Duke's defense was very good in this game up until the point when Hamilton went super smallball (Isaac at the 5) and could play 5-out offense. Not sure we have any easy answers for that alignment. That said, very few teams can play it, and our next opponent definitely won't.

Amile was the man. Hopefully that wasn't just Senior Night adrenaline carrying him because we'll need that kind of performance from him going forward to do big things.

Frank was great. With FSU's in-your-face pressure D and playing the passing lanes, you need guards who can break the Seminoles down off the dribble and convert at the basket. Frank was up to the task.

Good PNR defense. Matt did the job on Bacon.

Like I said, good win. Thank you, seniors!

good to get a win!
    We were up big when Grayson came in in the 2nd half and we gave up 8 pts off the lead before he came out and FSU was really on a roll. But we played well enough in winning time to tough it out. We did miss 4 FTs down the stretch, which is not optimal.
    Amazing game from Amile on Sr. night!!! So glad that he was able to play at a high level, hopefully that continues.
    Matt shut Bacon down for the most part, and his 2-9 FGs made it a Matt Jones type of game.
    Jackson went from being totally silenced at Syracuse, to big at Miami and big tonight. I hope it's the start of a streak that continues the rest of the year!!!

Tonight showed me that there's even more reason to have Frank and Luke as the primary guards with Frank running point.

Grayson, another sloppy performance with another very ugly fast break.

Amile missing 2 front ends of one and one's, not so good.

Luke with a late clutch 3 was awesome.

Tatum with several clutch plays.

Loved that K was able to get a curtain call for the seniors.

Anybody else think we were whistled for several bogus traveling calls tonight? I was not happy. If I had the game on tape, I'd re-watch it and then call the ACC office. I think this year's been terrible for ACC hoops and NFL football for officiating. Just my opinion. And I'm strict.

Duke's normal starting lineup with Frank in for an ailing Grayson took it to Fla Sts big lineup. Frank was great and Amile at 70% was playing one of his best games. We were able to build a big lead and good that we did as we had several stretches where we didn't adjust our defense to Fla Sts change to a small lineup that drove to the basket at every opportunity and were successful in doing so. We also got a little sloppy but having Tatum and Luke available to put points on the board.

Hope Amile will get past his injury, but he is just so important to our success, he had to be used tonight. Grayson played but obviously has a ways to go to be the Grayson that was a POY candidate. Lest we forget, the kid can really play when healthy.

Great win, now rest up for another battle on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by devilnfla View Post
    Tonight showed me that there's even more reason to have Frank and Luke as the primary guards with Frank running point.

Grayson, another sloppy performance with another very ugly fast break.

Amile missing 2 front ends of one and one's, not so good.

Luke with a late clutch 3 was awesome.

Tatum with several clutch plays.

Loved that K was able to get a curtain call for the seniors.
    How easy we forget. Grayson has given everything he's had for Duke University. Without him we don't get #5. Amile on senior night was sensational and that was playing injured. Enjoy the win and let's beat the cheats. GoDuke!

Amile had a fantastic, gritty Senior Night. He really led us.

Frank was so important tonight, a star making performance. The segment in the second half when he took over the scoring load was awesome.

Luke was huge down the stretch. His 3 with 6 left when they had cut it to 8 was the most important shot of the night. He also had some big offensive rebounds.

Jayson was also very important, he scored big buckets, rebounded, guarded and, most importantly, played smart. He also played 39 minutes.

The D was good until it wasn't. The lay-up drill for 5-6 key minutes of the second half was enraging me. The stall ball worked better than usual, although I thought Lenny Hamilton gave us an out by mostly not fouling down the stretch.

Big big win! Thanks to Matt and Amile and Nick. This may have also been the final game in Cameron for many others, but that talk can wait!

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Anybody else think we were whistled for several bogus traveling calls tonight? I was not happy. If I had the game on tape, I'd re-watch it and then call the ACC office. I think this year's been terrible for ACC hoops and NFL football for officiating. Just my opinion. And I'm strict.
    Agreed. I didn't see anything different tonight from the rest of the season in how players were moving, yet the whistles blew several times for traveling. Most likely the refs were told to tighten up heading into the post season.

Awesome win tonight!!

Lots of Frank and an apparently healthy Amile.

Now Vandy up big at UK, can that keep up????!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    How easy we forget. Grayson has given everything he's had for Duke University. Without him we don't get #5. Amile on senior night was sensational and that was playing injured. Enjoy the win and let's beat the cheats. GoDuke!
    Is there any definitive information on Allen's injury? Can he actually get back to 100% without taking a full week (or two) off? I know that the Duke staff don't give out much information about such things, but sometimes word leaks out anyway.

I made a point to pop up watch espn on my phone on my layover to avoid a 3 game skid. You are all welcome

Very happy to watch Amile & Matt leave Cameron on a winning note...& also to the voice of the Blue Devils..41 years ...Wow!.. The games Bob has watched & called. Amazing run..

Quote Originally Posted by bluenorth View Post
    Is there any definitive information on Allen's injury? Can he actually get back to 100% without taking a full week (or two) off? I know that the Duke staff don't give out much information about such things, but sometimes word leaks out anyway.
    Sprains are slow. I suspect it'll be May before he's even close to normal. Alas...

(My biggest brother sprained his ankle badly in college more than 40 years ago. It still bugs him.)

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Sprains are slow. I suspect it'll be May before he's even close to normal. Alas...

(My biggest brother sprained his ankle badly in college more than 40 years ago. It still bugs him.)

-jk
    I'm afraid you're right. Allen's probably using with an ice bag several times a day and we've seen him with his ankle taped. But if you don't let it heal completely, the slightest tweak sends you back to square one of the healing process. But when you're young you're invincible!

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Defense allowed 43 points in the first 30 minutes. That's very good.

Then allowed 27 points on 17 possessions in the last 10 minutes. Even if you don't count the last 3 possessions when it was basically garbage time, it's still 20 point on 14 possessions given up down the stretch. Need to tighten that up.
    Yes an FSU wasn't even running an offense during that time. They went small, spread the floor, and basically whichever player brought the ball up the court drove it straight to the rim, and in most cases got a layup, a foul, or both. When FSU actually ran an offense with a normal line up our defense was pretty darn good.

I thought the FSU defense was pretty darn impressive for most of the first half. Man they can defend. They looked like 1988 Duke.

I really wish Grayson had been held out though. He is just nowhere near 100% on that ankle. He could not push off and had no lateral movement. Made for a tough night for him.

Frank Jackson was really outstanding tonight offensively. He really gave us a shot in the arm from the perimeter and Amile was just a man down low all night. Matt held Bacon in check and Luke/Tatum provided the rest.

Big win and we needed it. Now let's hang another L on the tarCheats in our home away from home NoseDome. That would make up for a lot of the disappointments all the injuries have brought us this year.

I'm still convinced if they could just get healthy these guys could hurt a lot of teams feelings...

Shout out to our Seniors! Love those guys!!