Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 122
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX

    MBB: Duke vs. Florida State (Feb 28 7:00 EST, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

    We need this one to stay in the top 4 (and get the double bye in the ACCT), but we also need Grayson and Amile to get healthy. On the other hand, this will likely be the last game either of them ever play at Cameron. Therefore, I expect both of them will play. Hopefully, they don't overdo it.

    The Seminoles are coming off of 2 straight wins, a blowout at home vs. BC and a tight win on the road at Clemson. They are deep and talented. I don't think anybody here is looking past this game toward the season finale at UNC, because FSU is a damn good team, and it's a chance for us to pick up a quality win, as well as stay in the running for the double bye, which we need. Badly.

    Next play. LETS GO DUKE!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    I hope Coach K chooses to rest both of them, senior day or not. We need HEALTH more than we need WINS right now. IMNSHO.


    (Not to say that we couldn't possibly sneak out a win here without either of them, because that is possible.)
    A plane takes off from Baltimore and touches down on Bourbon Street

  3. #3
    Coach K said today (Monday) on the ACC teleconference that both players are essentially game-day decisions.

    He also said that h was looking to play them, not rest them ... but it all depends on how they look/feel in pregame warmups Tuesday night.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I hope Coach K chooses to rest both of them, senior day or not. We need HEALTH more than we need WINS right now. IMNSHO.


    (Not to say that we couldn't possibly sneak out a win here without either of them, because that is possible.)
    Agree. We need to go "all in" for the NCAAT and if that means rest for both GA and AJ for the next three games then I, for one, am OK with it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I hope Coach K chooses to rest both of them, senior day or not. We need HEALTH more than we need WINS right now. IMNSHO.


    (Not to say that we couldn't possibly sneak out a win here without either of them, because that is possible.)
    I'm not so sure I agree that we don't need this win. We need this win BECAUSE we need to stay healthy. If we lose this game, we're almost assuredly going to be 5th-8th in the standings, which means in order to win the ACCT, we'd need to win 4 games in 4 days, or at least play 4 games in 4 days to be the runner up.

    That's not what you want to do when you're trying to get into the NCAA tournament relatively healthy. If we somehow stay in the top 4 seeds, we'd have to play at most 3 games in 3 days. The deep teams (UVA, UNC, FSU) in the ACC have a huge advantage on us in this regard.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I'm not so sure I agree that we don't need this win. We need this win BECAUSE we need to stay healthy. If we lose this game, we're almost assuredly going to be 5th-8th in the standings, which means in order to win the ACCT, we'd need to win 4 games in 4 days, or at least play 4 games in 4 days to be the runner up.

    That's not what you want to do when you're trying to get into the NCAA tournament relatively healthy. If we somehow stay in the top 4 seeds, we'd have to play at most 3 games in 3 days. The deep teams (UVA, UNC, FSU) in the ACC have a huge advantage on us in this regard.
    This is making the assumption that the team is attempting to win the ACCT. Not saying that Coach K isn't aiming for that, I'm just saying that your analysis necessarily includes that assumption.
    A plane takes off from Baltimore and touches down on Bourbon Street

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    This is making the assumption that the team is attempting to win the ACCT. Not saying that Coach K isn't aiming for that, I'm just saying that your analysis necessarily includes that assumption.
    Why would we not attempt to win the ACCT? At some point, you gotta take what you can get. If we "throw" the ACCT to get healthy for the NCAAT, and then we flop in the NCAAT, was it really worth it? Plus, a good showing in the ACCT would almost definitely improve our seeding in the NCAAT, and seeding matters. It really does. To me, the ACC Championship is a big deal. Not as big as the National Championship, but I'd say it's right up there:

    1. National Championship
    2. Final Four
    3. ACC Championship
    4. Sweet 16

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Given our health issues, this team is not winning games on consecutive days. I am worried enough about the short turnaround in the opening rounds of the NCAAT and that is with a days rest between games. We need to be healthy or closer to healthy for the NCAAT.

  9. #9
    I look forward to getting GA and Amile rest AND beating FSU!!!
    The advantage of having K on the bench.


  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    Given our health issues, this team is not winning games on consecutive days. I am worried enough about the short turnaround in the opening rounds of the NCAAT and that is with a days rest between games. We need to be healthy or closer to healthy for the NCAAT.
    This! My thoughts exactly. This year for once the ACC tournament to me drops in importance due to the continuing health situation of two key players and how the team has been beaten up all year. It still has the potential to go far in the NCAA tournament, which is the overarching goald of the season, IF it is at a decent level of health. Especially where Grayson can play agressively and explosively.

  11. #11
    I know both Matt and Jefferson will be honored but since he is graduating earlier will Grayson be honored to for Senior night?
       

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    I know both Matt and Jefferson will be honored but since he is graduating earlier will Grayson be honored to for Senior night?
    Is there any confirmation that grayson is graduating? I've heard rumors that he was on pace a year ago, but that isn't proof positive that he actually is.
    It's being reported that due to coronavirus fears, Harvard has asked students not to return from spring break, and for classes to be held online.

    Not to be outdone, UNC told students to stop coming to class 27 years ago under Dean Smith.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlanta

    Is the Season over?

    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Is there any confirmation that grayson is graduating? I've heard rumors that he was on pace a year ago, but that isn't proof positive that he actually is.
    "was it Over when the Germans bomb Pearl Harbor"...Coach K been wanting to have something to play for...believe we got something to play for tomorrow night and then Saturday..the season just started!!!!!!!!!!Go to Hell Carolina
    https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1015033823711711237

    Its like a movie, Williamson said. You say you want to be a part of it, but when youre actually here, its a movie...

    For somebody like me, coming down on a fast break, an in-and-out crossover, and that moment where I jump and glide to the rim and lay it in, for me, its like poetry in motion, he said. I feel like I was in slow motion, and its just poetry. Salisbury Post 12.20.18

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Ironically, the City of Angels
    Maybe he could just start them, then take them out at the first timeout? That way, they'd get to play a little in their last home game, but still get some rest. Although... I wouldn't really want to be the one to tell a dressed and warmed up Grayson that he couldn't play anymore. I mean, he's like 2.5 me's.

  15. #15
    The 3 players have been loyal to the program, and K will acknowledge that fact. If Jefferson, Jones, and Allen want to play, I believe K will honor their loyality. They are a credit to Duke, and the decision should be theirs to play or not in their last game at Cameron.

    And may they be honored so !
       

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Why would we not attempt to win the ACCT? At some point, you gotta take what you can get. If we "throw" the ACCT to get healthy for the NCAAT, and then we flop in the NCAAT, was it really worth it? Plus, a good showing in the ACCT would almost definitely improve our seeding in the NCAAT, and seeding matters. It really does. To me, the ACC Championship is a big deal. Not as big as the National Championship, but I'd say it's right up there:

    1. National Championship
    2. Final Four
    3. ACC Championship
    4. Sweet 16
    Since the ACC has had 18 Final Four teams in the last 20 years, it seems that the Final Four and ACC championship are almost of equal value. It's not a totally legit comparison b/c the ACC champ might not make the F4 in each of those instances, and in some cases could not have b/c the ACC had 2 entrants in a F4 on multiple occasions. Even with that, i agree with your ranking. Duke has made the S16 even with a 3 or 4 seed and far from the ACC championship.

  17. #17
    I know this opinion is the minority but I think Allen comes back. His nba draft stock has fallen off a cliff
       

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Jayson and Luke combined for 3 fta last game...and that was on one call. We need to get to the free throw line against the 'Noles. Lets hope our boys don't continue to get the Jabari treatment (he was the Anti-Hansborough).

    I am actually of the mindset that I don't mind if Grayson plays...lets just control his minutes if need be.

    This is a game to prove our mental strength. Veterans making veteran plays and freshman showing their growth.
    Windy City Devil

  19. #19
    I'd put the two games against UNC ahead of the ACC tournament in terms of importance
       

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Atlanta
    Go Duke!!!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 107
    Last Post: 12-06-2016, 10:30 PM
  2. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 02-25-2016, 06:53 PM
  3. Replies: 114
    Last Post: 02-09-2015, 08:17 PM
  4. Replies: 120
    Last Post: 01-25-2014, 01:07 PM
  5. MBB: Duke vs. Florida State Pre-Game and In-Game Thread
    By Hancock 4 Duke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 156
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 09:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •