Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    VERY few grad transfers do so for academic reasons. They are almost always doing it to improve their playing opportunities. In some cases, the grad program is an added bonus. But typically, the athletes are taking advantage of the rule for their athletic benefit.
    Understood, just think grad transfer rules are a net loser for Duke. Graduate good students on time and potentially lose them. Very few football or hoops grads could be admitted to Duke grad schools and contribute athletically.

Sirk's a good guy/QB, but probably not an NFL player. CFL and Arena League aren't great leagues. Maybe pick up a relevant degree if he wants to coach.

Grad transfer works for Obi: if he's healthy may be able to play in a decent international league; may also get two years via a medical redshirt and could knock out an MBA or two years of law school from a solid school.

Best of luck to both.

Quote Originally Posted by FadedTackyShirt View Post
    Understood, just think grad transfer rules are a net loser for Duke. Graduate good students on time and potentially lose them. Very few football or hoops grads could be admitted to Duke grad schools and contribute athletically.

Sirk's a good guy/QB, but probably not an NFL player. CFL and Arena League aren't great leagues. Maybe pick up a relevant degree if he wants to coach.

Grad transfer works for Obi: if he's healthy may be able to play in a decent international league; may also get two years via a medical redshirt and could knock out an MBA or two years of law school from a solid school.

Best of luck to both.
    I'm not sure we are on the same wave length. "Post-grad" status is a gimmick to avoid the sit-out rules for transfers -- but it does require the student to have graduated. For many "post-grad athletes," the new school puts together a collection of courses and gives it a unique label. It can be challenging or not challenging. Duke would do something similar. If the athlete is an outstanding student, then professional or graduate school programs may be a good idea, as they would offer career benefits downstream.

Here's a question I should know the answer to -- Aside from Thomas Sirk and Rasheed Sulaimon, has Duke ever lost or gained an athlete via post-grad transfer?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I'm not sure we are on the same wave length. "Post-grad" status is a gimmick to avoid the sit-out rules for transfers -- but it does require the student to have graduated. For many "post-grad athletes," the new school puts together a collection of courses and gives it a unique label. It can be challenging or not challenging. Duke would do something similar. If the athlete is an outstanding student, then professional or graduate school programs may be a good idea, as they would offer career benefits downstream.

Here's a question I should know the answer to -- Aside from Thomas Sirk and Rasheed Sulaimon, has Duke ever lost or gained an athlete via post-grad transfer?
    Aside from Obi this year? Brandon Connette did it. Greg Paulus technically did too. But yeah, pretty uncommon with relation to Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Aside from Obi this year? Brandon Connette did it. Greg Paulus technically did too. But yeah, pretty uncommon with relation to Duke.
    Yeah, although for Paulus we didn't lose a year of basketball eligibility. He exhausted that before going to SU for a football year.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Yeah, although for Paulus we didn't lose a year of basketball eligibility. He exhausted that before going to SU for a football year.
    Yeah we just "lost" a year of football eligibility. Which was of course irrelevant as he was never going to play for Duke football.

Tyler Krieg and Zach Smith both played on bowl winning teams as grad students.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Last season's baseball team had two graduate transfer pitchers: Kellon Urbon and Brian McAfee, both from Cornell. They both earned Master's in Management Studies at Fuqua.

Tyler Krieg and Zach Smith both played on bowl winning teams as grad students.
    Where?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Where?
    Cal. Krieg-2007 & Zach-2007 & 2008.

Fuqua's one year MMS program makes sense, legit academic program primarily targeted to undergrad business majors with no work experience.

Wake's a fine school, but the one year MA in sports storytelling is an embarrassing vehicle trolling for jock grad students.

Nothing wrong with rewarding grad students if they can contribute in the classroom and athletically, but no need to cobble something together to exploit a loophole.

Cal. Krieg-2007 & Zach-2007 & 2008.

Fuqua's one year MMS program makes sense, legit academic program primarily targeted to undergrad business majors with no work experience.

Wake's a fine school, but the one year MA in sports storytelling is an embarrassing vehicle trolling for jock grad students.

Nothing wrong with rewarding grad students if they can contribute in the classroom and athletically, but no need to cobble something together to exploit a loophole.
    I hate to say "everyone does it," but, well, everyone does it. Not sure what the harm is if a kid is willing to do the classwork and needs a change of scenery.