JJ Redick on Bill Simmons Podcast

JJ Redick made an appearance on Bill Simmons's podcast (perhaps as a return favor for Simmons appearing on JJ's podcast over the summer). They talk a lot of NBA, and starting about 36 minutes in they get to talking about college and the UNC-Duke Rivalry. Lots of good stuff. I won't give too much away, but I will add a teaser that Redick states that former teammate Reggie Bullock told him he never went to class in three years at UNC.

The whole interview is a great listen. Redick is such a fan and student of the game that sometimes you forget you're listening to an actual current player. He clearly understands the business side of the sport, and is really educated and well-spoken. Check it out! (But only after you check out the latest DBR Podcast, of course.)

link

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    JJ Redick made an appearance on Bill Simmons's podcast (perhaps as a return favor for Simmons appearing on JJ's podcast over the summer). They talk a lot of NBA, and starting about 36 minutes in they get to talking about college and the UNC-Duke Rivalry. Lots of good stuff. I won't give too much away, but I will add a teaser that Redick states that former teammate Reggie Bullock told him he never went to class in three years at UNC.
    link
    Wow! This is HUGE if true. Bullock was at Carolina thru 2013 -- two years AFTER UNC supposedly stopped the phoney courses.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Wow! This is HUGE if true. Bullock was at Carolina thru 2013 -- two years AFTER UNC supposedly stopped the phoney courses.
    When Redick said this, he and Simmons were kind of joking around, along with another person in the booth who is a big UNC fan. So it's unclear whether Redick was being serious. I do remember reading rumors on IC that Bullock had stopped going to class during his last semester to prepare for the draft, and this was one of the reasons why their APR dropped in the ensuing years (along with Larry Drew leaving mid-semester). Of course, saying he stopped going to class implies that he ever went to class to begin with

Oh, come on...one little teaser regarding JJ's impressions concerning Coach K's marvelous hair...
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

When Redick said this, he and Simmons were kind of joking around, along with another person in the booth who is a big UNC fan. So it's unclear whether Redick was being serious. I do remember reading rumors on IC that Bullock had stopped going to class during his last semester to prepare for the draft, and this was one of the reasons why their APR dropped in the ensuing years (along with Larry Drew leaving mid-semester). Of course, saying he stopped going to class implies that he ever went to class to begin with
    No!! This is proof! The NCAA must use this as evidence of continued bad behavior! JJ was under oath and so was Bullock! Noooooooo!!

-Jason "I keed, I keed" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    This was said very jokingly. It was not meant seriously--though that doesn't mean it isn't true! I'll believe anything about UNC attendance records at this point.

Great podcast tho. JJ was also Simmons' (now cancelled) TV show on HBO last year and has been on his podcast before. While Simmons used to be an unapologetic Duke hater, he and JJ have developed a good relationship and are pretty friendly. Simmons is a big clippers fan and really likes JJ as a player. JJ envisions a role as a media member after his playing days are over, so the relationship makes a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    This was said very jokingly. It was not meant seriously--though that doesn't mean it isn't true! I'll believe anything about UNC attendance records at this point.

Great podcast tho. JJ was also Simmons' (now cancelled) TV show on HBO last year and has been on his podcast before. While Simmons used to be an unapologetic Duke hater, he and JJ have developed a good relationship and are pretty friendly. Simmons is a big clippers fan and really likes JJ as a player. JJ envisions a role as a media member after his playing days are over, so the relationship makes a lot of sense.
    I was also really impressed with JJ. He had a really good knowledge of many of the NBA teams' styles of play and was articulate in explaining. He should have no problem transitioning to the media although as BS said, he should be able to sit in the corners and shoot threes forever...

I think JJ has stated several times on his podcast that he's not sure he wants to be involved with the media after he retires. He mentioned getting his MBA and dabbling in the business world.

Simmons gave JJ an opening to debunk some of the negative Coach K tropes that exist and, unfortunately, the conversation got sidetracked and he didn't give an effective answer. It showed me, a bit, that those within the program aren't as aware of the negative perception of K that exists for most haters, namely that he is portrayed as a saint when he is, essentially, a laundered Calipari (again, this is a perception, not an opinion I agree with).

For example, Simmons said, "He was Coach of Team USA, don't you think he has Lebron and others call recruits...hasn't he ever had you call a recruit?" JJ was essentially mystified like, "No, he's never done anything like that..." but then the convo got into recruiting and away from K. Simmons has been so critical of K over the years that I wish the conversation had stayed there for a while, and I credit Simmons with bringing up the topic, but, alas..

Best thing in the podcast was JJ's story about how a dirty play by DeMarcus Cousins was basically responsible for the birth of his first kid. I loved that.