Thread: Frank Bassett

Frank Bassett

He was the quintessential Blue Devil. This is a sad, sad day indeed.

Love,Ima

I'll Second That

He operated on my left knee in 1977, about a week after doing the same surgery on Bubba Smith. He had a wonderful sense of humor, too.

Me three

He treated me for knee problems and operated on my son's knees three times for three injuries. A wonderful man - in talent and spirit. I always felt good when I saw that mustache on the court looking after an injured player. Rest easy.

Duke Royalty, no doubt

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    He operated on my left knee in 1977, about a week after doing the same surgery on Bubba Smith. He had a wonderful sense of humor, too.
    Just a few years before he fixed your knee, he fixed a twisted fracture of my youngest son's femur just a centimeter or two from the hip joint. That same year he fixed my middle son's broken hand, and showed him how to throw a proper punch. DR. Bassett was a good man.

well said Ima.

You are a good person. I'm sure Frank knows what you said here, and appreciates it.

He was the primary reason I attended Duke. From Hopkinsville KY, he was a roomate of an attorney friend in my small hometown during college. He toured me around the Med School on my interview visit. We kept in touch while I was an undergrad and he advised me not "to go back to Kentucky and mess up" when I was accepted to UK Med School. I certainly owe him a lot for his advice and encouragement. Condolences to his family especially Lucia.

i met him briefly while an undergrad. while he was not imposing or unapproachable, he definitely had a presence to him. seems he's been a part of duke as long as i've known of duke. an icon in the sports medicine and orthopedics departments and beyond.

This is truly depressing. I can't think of any member of the Duke - or ACC - ommunity that had such a full and exuberant personality combined with a razor-sharp mind. Frank was a brilliant surgeon, and some way, some how, an even more brilliant personality. For all of the struggles that Duke athletics has had over the past year, this is the most painful and personal. God bless you, Frank. For as much as we knew each other, I wish I knew you more.

My Dr Bassett Story

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Just a few years before he fixed your knee, he fixed a twisted fracture of my youngest son's femur just a centimeter or two from the hip joint.
    Ouch! Did you have to remind me of that, I didn't walk again for six months! I recovered fully from that twisted mess (though I never wanted to play football again), because Dr. Bassett took good care of me & set my leg perfectly... and he made sure the nurses at Duke Hospital brought me extra ice cream.(Please don't tell Mom.) He is just about the only good memory I have of that whole ordeal. He always smiled, and could always get me to laugh. Thirty years later, when I ran into him at Cameron, I thanked him for fixing my leg. He made me smile even then by remembering me after all those years. A truly special man.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    That same year he fixed my middle son's broken hand, and showed him how to throw a proper punch. DR. Bassett was a good man.
    By the way, your middle son never could throw a good punch.
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil