Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    How about a last-minute deaths prediction? I'll go with Loki in the first 15 minutes of the movie, Nebula, and Captain America. Vision survives in some depowered form as a normal human or computer program. If Black Panther was less popular, I'd guess one of their supporting characters too.

If we see several major characters start dying left and right in the final battle, you know my fear is going to come true and that they're gearing up to an in-universe reboot with vague magic involving the Time or Reality Stone.
    Sounds like you want to get in on the HISHE Villain Pub's deadpool...

https://youtu.be/3DGlk_JAm8U

Edit: I guess I didn't embed the video correctly.
    Last edited by PensDevil; 04-24-2018 at 08:17 AM.

How about a last-minute deaths prediction? I'll go with Loki in the first 15 minutes of the movie, Nebula, and Captain America. Vision survives in some depowered form as a normal human or computer program. If Black Panther was less popular, I'd guess one of their supporting characters too.

If we see several major characters start dying left and right in the final battle, you know my fear is going to come true and that they're gearing up to an in-universe reboot with vague magic involving the Time or Reality Stone.
    I'm all in on Iron Man kicking the bucket, but not before passing the mantle to Black Panther's tech-genius sister Shuri.

Cap and Vision are dead as a doornail.

Thor is an interesting one in this universe, because he was the earliest bridge from the Earth-based characters to aliens, magic, and all of that good stuff. Now that Doctor Strange is in the picture, Thor doesn't really serve a world-building purpose anymore, IMO.

All the early social media buzz is exceptionally positive. Review embargo is lifted in just a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Or they just want to show how powerful Thanos is by having him kill a lot of major characters. That would be one heck of a powerful ending leading into the next one. Just a bunch of dead avengers, Thanos snaps his fingers, and then movie over. I think a lot of these characters have run their course and I am hopeful that many will be killed off. I’d go with captain America, iron man, Thor, hulk, and vision.
    That might be true if it was an HBO show where they didn't have to sell toys and action figures. There's no way Disney is going to permanently kill off all its major heroes, especially a bunch of the characters that don't have replacements lined up to take their titles. (Also, I'm assuming Avengers 4 is basically a sequel to this one – if it's not the in-universe reboot I'm afraid of, then I assume of the deaths will happen in that movie instead of this one).

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    I hope the Guardians of the Galaxy cast survives because that part of the franchise is so fun. That said, Nebula has an axe to grind and Drax is always good for a bad decision so they could be trimmed. Star Lord, Rocket and Groot must survive!

That might be true if it was an HBO show where they didn't have to sell toys and action figures. There's no way Disney is going to permanently kill off all its major heroes, especially a bunch of the characters that don't have replacements lined up to take their titles. (Also, I'm assuming Avengers 4 is basically a sequel to this one – if it's not the in-universe reboot I'm afraid of, then I assume of the deaths will happen in that movie instead of this one).
    Plenty plenty plenty of characters for marvel to use as replacements

Spoiler free review

This is sorta gonna be difficult. There's a tremendous limit on what I can say.

I know the first thing to say which is DON'T BE SPOILED! Be like me and see it without any preconceived notions of what happens. Don't let anyone ruin that experience for you.

This film truly is the culmination of everything that has happened for the past decade since we first met Iron Man. There are moments that are callbacks to so many of those films. And that is both the film's strength and it's weakness. If... IF... you have seen pretty much everything in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, you will probably love this film. But, if you missed Spider Man or Guardians of the Galaxy or Thor or Black Panther or Dr. Strange or Age of Ultron or Civil War, these characters and their motivations may frustrate you. The movie, while being 2 1/2 hours long, does not have time to set up who the characters are, what their relationships are, what powers they possess, and (most importantly) their motivations. You must walk into the theater knowing all of that stuff already. Black Panther was not that way... Dr. Strange was not that way... even the latest Thor film was accessible if you only had a passing knowledge of the MCU. Not this film.

So, consider the rest of this review to be for those die-hard MCU fans out there. This isn't a movie designed to draw in the unfamiliar. This is a reward to all of us who have been waiting a long, long time to see all of it come together in one grand cinematic moment. There have been 18 movies leading to this point and every single one of them has played a role in getting us here. If all those films were appetizers or entrees this is, at long last, our dessert.

And what a dessert it is! Great action scenes, some of which are intimate and some incredibly expansive. This is said to be one of the most expensive films ever made, a budget of more than $300 million, and you can see every penny of it on the screen. The effects and the sets are jaw-dropping.

The story is intricate and the dozens of superheros in it play individual roles in moving the plot along. But, moreso than anyone else, the star of the film is the bad guy, Thanos, as well as his main henchmen known as the Black Order. They are imposing, ruthless, and deadly. From the very start of the film it is clear that our heroes, even banded together, have very little chance of victory. Josh Brolin, who voices Thanos and did motion capture work on the character, is fabulous. It is one of the more emotional and powerful motion-capture performances ever... maybe not quite what Andy Serkis has done with Gollum or Caesar, but darn close. The movie does an ok job of explaining his motivations, but I still wish we had gotten to know more about Thanos' back story and what led him to the path he is now upon.

The film is tonally strange at times. Like everything in the MCU, it is peppered with a lot of funny moments, some of them truly hysterical and memorable. But, in the final third the movie gets extremely dark and almost depressing. There are a number of serious gut punches (you know there would be) and there were repeated gasps from the audience. A couple times you heard the theater scream "no!!" The reality is that some folks will leave this film angry at how things turned out.

I'm not sure there is much more I need or want to say. Some of the Marvel fans I saw it with were grumbling a bit as they walked out. Others were cheering and had a real bounce in their step. I guess I fall somewhere in between... I really enjoyed the ride, but have some problems with where it took me in the end. Still, this is a must-see if, like me, you have seen all that came before. And, as I said at the start, see it as soon as you can so you will not be spoiled.

-Jason "I look forward to talking spoilers with all of y'all starting in a few days" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    This is sorta gonna be difficult. There's a tremendous limit on what I can say.

I know the first thing to say which is DON'T BE SPOILED! Be like me and see it without any preconceived notions of what happens. Don't let anyone ruin that experience for you.

This film truly is the culmination of everything that has happened for the past decade since we first met Iron Man. There are moments that are callbacks to so many of those films. And that is both the film's strength and it's weakness. If... IF... you have seen pretty much everything in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, you will probably love this film. But, if you missed Spider Man or Guardians of the Galaxy or Thor or Black Panther or Dr. Strange or Age of Ultron or Civil War, these characters and their motivations may frustrate you. The movie, while being 2 1/2 hours long, does not have time to set up who the characters are, what their relationships are, what powers they possess, and (most importantly) their motivations. You must walk into the theater knowing all of that stuff already. Black Panther was not that way... Dr. Strange was not that way... even the latest Thor film was accessible if you only had a passing knowledge of the MCU. Not this film.

So, consider the rest of this review to be for those die-hard MCU fans out there. This isn't a movie designed to draw in the unfamiliar. This is a reward to all of us who have been waiting a long, long time to see all of it come together in one grand cinematic moment. There have been 18 movies leading to this point and every single one of them has played a role in getting us here. If all those films were appetizers or entrees this is, at long last, our dessert.

And what a dessert it is! Great action scenes, some of which are intimate and some incredibly expansive. This is said to be one of the most expensive films ever made, a budget of more than $300 million, and you can see every penny of it on the screen. The effects and the sets are jaw-dropping.

The story is intricate and the dozens of superheros in it play individual roles in moving the plot along. But, moreso than anyone else, the star of the film is the bad guy, Thanos, as well as his main henchmen known as the Black Order. They are imposing, ruthless, and deadly. From the very start of the film it is clear that our heroes, even banded together, have very little chance of victory. Josh Brolin, who voices Thanos and did motion capture work on the character, is fabulous. It is one of the more emotional and powerful motion-capture performances ever... maybe not quite what Andy Serkis has done with Gollum or Caesar, but darn close. The movie does an ok job of explaining his motivations, but I still wish we had gotten to know more about Thanos' back story and what led him to the path he is now upon.

The film is tonally strange at times. Like everything in the MCU, it is peppered with a lot of funny moments, some of them truly hysterical and memorable. But, in the final third the movie gets extremely dark and almost depressing. There are a number of serious gut punches (you know there would be) and there were repeated gasps from the audience. A couple times you heard the theater scream "no!!" The reality is that some folks will leave this film angry at how things turned out.

I'm not sure there is much more I need or want to say. Some of the Marvel fans I saw it with were grumbling a bit as they walked out. Others were cheering and had a real bounce in their step. I guess I fall somewhere in between... I really enjoyed the ride, but have some problems with where it took me in the end. Still, this is a must-see if, like me, you have seen all that came before. And, as I said at the start, see it as soon as you can so you will not be spoiled.

-Jason "I look forward to talking spoilers with all of y'all starting in a few days" Evans
    I’m going with my father in law on Thursday night, he’s seen everything but Black Panther. Is that going to hurt his enjoyment of Infinity war at all?

Definitely a Part 1 movie?

Is there a reasonable conclusion or is it like the other 2-part movies - a frustrating introduction to a one year wait for resolution?

Quote Originally Posted by mr shadow 008 View Post
    I’m going with my father in law on Thursday night, he’s seen everything but Black Panther. Is that going to hurt his enjoyment of Infinity war at all?
    I expect he will still enjoy it, but there's going to be several characters and small moments in the script that he will not understand. You may want to lean over and whisper to him so he knows who is who and what is going on when the film ventures to Wakanda in the final third of the movie. I would say the films you need to see the most to be prepared for this film are: Thor Ragnarok, Civil War, Black Panther, Guardians 1, and Dr. Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

Is there a reasonable conclusion or is it like the other 2-part movies - a frustrating introduction to a one year wait for resolution?
    I consider this answer to be a spoiler so I will put my response in spoiler text. My response will not give away any substance of the ending. merely whether everything gets wrapped up here or if there is a need for a conclusion.

Spoiler!

-Jason "I am happy to answer other questions and will keep them spoiler free. We will open a spoiler thread in a day or two" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

It has to be, right? All the previews show Thanos with 2 out of 6 infinity stones. There's nooooooo way the good guys can be successful in keeping him from getting more. The closest thing it reminds me off is watching cartoons growing up and seeing Goku and friends spending 50 episodes preventing the new bad guy from being hatched/transformed/whatever, because that new guy would supposedly be unbeatable. But of course, once you spend years teasing the possibility of a new bad guy or all 6 infinity stones together, it has to come true. Chekhov's gun for villains. So I'm assuming the movie ends with Thanos having at least 5 infinity stones, with the sequel being about how the Avengers defeat him anyway (again, please, please, please no time travel magic and/or in-universe reboot that undoes whatever deaths happen and explains why the X-Men suddenly exist).

It has to be, right? All the previews show Thanos with 2 out of 6 infinity stones. There's nooooooo way the good guys can be successful in keeping him from getting more. The closest thing it reminds me off is watching cartoons growing up and seeing Goku and friends spending 50 episodes preventing the new bad guy from being hatched/transformed/whatever, because that new guy would supposedly be unbeatable. But of course, once you spend years teasing the possibility of a new bad guy or all 6 infinity stones together, it has to come true. Chekhov's gun for villains. So I'm assuming the movie ends with Thanos having at least 5 infinity stones, with the sequel being about how the Avengers defeat him anyway (again, please, please, please no time travel magic and/or in-universe reboot that undoes whatever deaths happen and explains why the X-Men suddenly exist).
    First, I love your analogy, both for the fond memories it conjures and the simple force of its applicability. It would be a serious, and uncharacteristic, misstep for Marvel to spend so long building up to the assembly of the full complement of infinity stones and then never reach the actual fully-powered gauntlet. Take the fanboy discontent re: Snoke's identity/role and Rey's origins in the last jedi and multiply by, well, infinity

Second, re: the bolded above, Agents of Shield, which explicitly happens in and has had limited crossover with (Maria Hill, Sif, plus the general events of movies like Thor 2, Cap 2, etc.) the same universe as the MCU movies, has put its characters in a time travel loop that includes the near-total destruction of Earth. The show will either canonize the destruction of Earth (in a way that gives no indication of the involvement of Thanos, which you think would come up), or have Coulson & Co. travel from the future to the past to change the future, yet somehow avoid a time-travel paradox in doing so. Without any knowledge of the upcoming movie or its potential spoilers, possibilities for how to accomplish this could include the use of other dimensions, as revealed in Dr. Strange and imported to the show last season, or by some other infinity stone hijinks like those to which you allude in your post. Point being, Agents of Shield could indicate we are headed exactly where you fear.

Or, it could be something completely different. I am not a screenwriter or a show runner, did not stay at a holiday inn express last night, and am not, last I checked, the third Russo brother, so cum grano salis and all that.

For the same reason you have to get all six stones together, you must also use them. Therefore we know there will be some time stone action. Probably something similar with the reality stone. I can't imagine what the as yet unseen soul stone can do, but I image there are some do/undo possibilities there. I have to think the stones will be used, hopefully it will not be used in a cheap way that you fear, but in a meaningful and fearful manner by Thanos.

Despite making a conscious effort to avoid spoilers, I stumbled upon a conversation at work and overheard the end of the movie. I then caved and read the entire synopsis online and my excitement to see the movie tomorrow and Saturday has not dwindled in the slightest.

Looking forward to the post-spoilers thread... If I were a betting man, I'd wager a pie that we will still be talking about this movie and the implications during March Madness next year.

Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post
    Despite making a conscious effort to avoid spoilers, I stumbled upon a conversation at work and overheard the end of the movie. I then caved and read the entire synopsis online and my excitement to see the movie tomorrow and Saturday has not dwindled in the slightest.

Looking forward to the post-spoilers thread... If I were a betting man, I'd wager a pie that we will still be talking about this movie and the implications during March Madness next year.
    Paging richardjackson199!

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Are there folks who do not mind being spoiled? Should I start a spoiler thread today or wait until the weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Are there folks who do not mind being spoiled? Should I start a spoiler thread today or wait until the weekend?
    I vote yes

I'd enjoy reading your thoughts on the film/post-credits scene and how the next 13 months in the MCU could play out.

I'd enjoy reading your thoughts on the film/post-credits scene and how the next 13 months in the MCU could play out.
    Hang on... have you seen the post-credit scene?

-Jason "busy at the moment, but I will get the spoiler thread going this evening" Evans

My review of Infinity War for CNN Airport Network

https://vimeo.com/266756204

Captain Marvel

A trailer has dropped!!!