Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 136
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!

    Avengers: Infinity War (and other upcoming Marvel films)

    Production has begun. I don't know how it can live up to the hype, but they sure seem to be trying awful hard

    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Production has begun. I don't know how it can live up to the hype, but they sure seem to be trying awful hard
    I don't know ... in my case, they've done a good job lowering my expectations with two very disappointing Marvel films in a row (Avengers II and CA: Civil War).

    And when I say "disappointing", I'm being nice. If I typed what I really think of those two films, the DBR filter would tell me what a wanker I am.

    PS I am looking forward to The Guardians of the Galaxy, Part II this summer

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I don't know ... in my case, they've done a good job lowering my expectations with two very disappointing Marvel films in a row (Avengers II and CA: Civil War).

    And when I say "disappointing", I'm being nice. If I typed what I really think of those two films, the DBR filter would tell me what a wanker I am.

    PS I am looking forward to The Guardians of the Galaxy, Part II this summer
    I'm right there with you on this, Oly. I waited until after its theater run to see Civil War, and was seriously underwhelmed. I actually enjoyed Batman v Superman more, and that was no masterpiece, either.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Production has begun. I don't know how it can live up to the hype, but they sure seem to be trying awful hard

    Did the guy say the next TWO Avengers movies? Is it going to be a two-parter?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Did the guy say the next TWO Avengers movies? Is it going to be a two-parter?
    Yes. Its Infinity War parts 1 and 2.

    I am also looking forward to a couple other Marvel projects more than I am looking forward to Infinity War: Guardians 2 and Black Panther being top of my list.
    Brian Zoubek on what was going through his mind walking to the free throw line with 3.6 seconds remaining in the 2010 National Championship game and Duke up by 1: "Fifty percent [of me is] thinking, This is what I've been dreaming of doing my entire life. Fifty percent I'm crapping my pants."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    I'm right there with you on this, Oly. I waited until after its theater run to see Civil War, and was seriously underwhelmed. I actually enjoyed Batman v Superman more, and that was no masterpiece, either.
    The fact that you two didn't like Civil War seriously hurts your credibility with me. It may have been one of the ten or 20 best movies I saw all year. It understood stakes and emotion in a way that BvS can't even fathom, much less achieve.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The fact that you two didn't like Civil War seriously hurts your credibility with me. It may have been one of the ten or 20 best movies I saw all year. It understood stakes and emotion in a way that BvS can't even fathom, much less achieve.
    I was gonna let that go, but yeah, if some one liked BvS at all, much less better than Civil War, I'm just gonna assume that person has different tastes in movies than do I.
    Brian Zoubek on what was going through his mind walking to the free throw line with 3.6 seconds remaining in the 2010 National Championship game and Duke up by 1: "Fifty percent [of me is] thinking, This is what I've been dreaming of doing my entire life. Fifty percent I'm crapping my pants."

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The fact that you two didn't like Civil War seriously hurts your credibility with me. It may have been one of the ten or 20 best movies I saw all year. It understood stakes and emotion in a way that BvS can't even fathom, much less achieve.
    And, Jason, the fact that you DID like Civil War "seriously hurts your credibility with me."

    That's okay ... I disagreed with Pauline Kael quite often and she was always my favorite critic. Not saying you are my favorite critic, but I enjoy your reviews. I just don't take your recommendations that seriously. We obviously have different tastes in movies.

    PS I thought Batman vs. Superman was even worse than Civil War

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Ironically, the City of Angels
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    And, Jason, the fact that you DID like Civil War "seriously hurts your credibility with me."

    That's okay ... I disagreed with Pauline Kael quite often and she was always my favorite critic. Not saying you are my favorite critic, but I enjoy your reviews. I just don't take your recommendations that seriously. We obviously have different tastes in movies.

    PS I thought Batman vs. Superman was even worse than Civil War
    I loved Kael, though yes, I often disagreed personally with the conclusions. And I liked Civil War, but not nearly as much as most people, and thought its central interpersonal conflict was really stretched and kind of silly.

    But I'm going to be extremely cautious in my giving in to hype for these movies. I didn't like the other two Avengers movies very much, relative to the other Marvel films. I hope they can do Thanos well, but their villain track record doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Nor does the seeming cast of millions...

    On a more personal taste note, I also dislike the split movie trend. Feels lazy to me, and I haven't seen it work out too well. But I guess that goes alongside my cast of millions complaint.

    I mean, I want to like this. I'm just not going to have very high expectations. I'd love to be proven wrong.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Doria View Post
    On a more personal taste note, I also dislike the split movie trend. Feels lazy to me, and I haven't seen it work out too well. But I guess that goes alongside my cast of millions complaint.
    I agree about the split movies when it is obvious that the split is to stretch a single story, but I think your cast of millions points to the potential reasoning behind this split. Even without knowing any plot details, Infinity War would be hard-pressed to make the inclusion of all these characters meaningful in the runtime of single movie.

    If the expansion and split of the movie is merely to include the characters for the sake of including them, then that is just the character analogue of, say, splitting one fairly self-contained 200something page book into three movies (butter scraped over too much bread indeed, Peter Jackson). If the Infinity War story is best served by including all these characters and needs 5-6 hours to tell the full story with necessary, meaningful contributions from the cast of millions, then I'm okay with it.
    Last edited by IrishDevil; 02-18-2017 at 09:20 AM. Reason: proofreading fail(s)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Ironically, the City of Angels
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishDevil View Post
    I agree about the split movies when it is obvious that the split is to stretch a single story, but I think your cast of millions points to the potential reasoning behind this split. Even without knowing any plot details, Infinity War would be hard-pressed to make the inclusion of all these characters meaningful in the runtime of single movie.

    If the expansion and split of the movie is merely to include the characters for the sake of including them, then that is just the character analogue of, say, splitting one fairly self-contained 200something page book into three movies (butter scraped over too much bread indeed, Peter Jackson). If the Infinity War story is best served by including all these characters and needs 5-6 hours to tell the full story with necessary, meaningful contributions from the cast of millions, then I'm okay with it.
    That is fair, and I should probably reserve judgment until I see it (them). However, even with two movies, I have trouble believing that they can service what is, essentially, the main casts of all of their movies with any type of "meaningful" inclusion. But I am more than happy for them to prove me wrong. I don't like the trend in general, though, so maybe it's just a relic of my old-fashioned movie tastes that preferred movies to stand alone, even if they were linked to other sequels or prequels. Sigh, I'm old.

  12. #12
    I'm with those who thought Civil War was weak; one of the weakest Marvel movies. The characters' actions were completely unbelievable and didn't pass the sniff test.

    I loved CA2 and the first Avengers.

    BvS I watched 20 minutes of on a plane and switched to something else...

  13. #13
    Don't we also have Thor: Ragnorok to get through before Infinity War starts? i'm pretty sure Dr. Strange will be teaming up with Thor in that one.

    I wonder which heroes could handle an infinity stone?

    Most likely:
    Hulk, Thor, Vision

    Maybe but not sure:
    Dr Strange, Spiderman

    Probably not for long:
    Captain America, Scarlet Witch

    No chance at all:
    Black Widow, Antman, Hawkeye, basically all of the "normal" guys that aren't enhanced at all except by skills/tech.
    Last edited by PackMan97; 02-18-2017 at 09:58 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Don't we also have Thor: Ragnorok to get through before Infinity War starts? i'm pretty sure Dr. Strange will be teaming up with Thor in that one.
    Hulk too. Thor, Hulk, and Dr. Strange will all be in Ragnaraok.

    And it has been confirmed that we will be seeing Hulk as a gladiator of some sort. This is some of the concept art from the film.



    -Jason "Hulk with a sword and battle ax... sign me up!" Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  15. #15
    My copy of the Hobbitt had 300+ pages. But agreed stretching it to 3 films was overkill.

    I'm probably being petty in another thread.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Hulk too. Thor, Hulk, and Dr. Strange will all be in Ragnaraok.

    And it has been confirmed that we will be seeing Hulk as a gladiator of some sort. This is some of the concept art from the film.



    -Jason "Hulk with a sword and battle ax... sign me up!" Evans
    Fus Ro Dah!
    Brian Zoubek on what was going through his mind walking to the free throw line with 3.6 seconds remaining in the 2010 National Championship game and Duke up by 1: "Fifty percent [of me is] thinking, This is what I've been dreaming of doing my entire life. Fifty percent I'm crapping my pants."

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    And, Jason, the fact that you DID like Civil War "seriously hurts your credibility with me."

    That's okay ... I disagreed with Pauline Kael quite often and she was always my favorite critic. Not saying you are my favorite critic, but I enjoy your reviews. I just don't take your recommendations that seriously. We obviously have different tastes in movies.

    PS I thought Batman vs. Superman was even worse than Civil War
    Let me clarify my earlier comment a bit. I didn't say that Batman v Superman was the better movie, only that I enjoyed it more. And that was at least partially because of the hype surrounding both films - intensely negative for BvS, over the top positive (in my view) for Civil War. So when I took 2 of my kids to see Batman v Superman, I was fully expecting something virtually unwatchable from start to finish. And it wasn't that. In fact, I thought Affleck was very good and offered a fresh and interesting take on Bruce Wayne/Batman - at once cocky, jaded and determined, with a bit more gray hair and world weariness than we are used to seeing. I liked Jeremy Irons as Alfred, too.

    By contrast, Civil War was supposed to be some near masterpiece, even viewed as Oscar-worthy by some. While the plot was certainly better than that of Dawn of Justice, it was still very thin and unconvincing in my view. Far too many characters were stuffed into a ~2 hour movie, and none of the action sequences were especially enthralling. Again, these are my own views. I am neither a movie critic nor a comic book afficionado. But as the father of a 10 year old boy, I have seen all of the superhero movies at least once, and many multiple times. And to me, Civil War was middle of the pack at best.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    I think it is worth being clear about something regarding Civil War and BvS, seeing as so many seem to be discussing them. Anyone is entitled to their opinion. There are people who do not like even the most widely acclaimed films of all time and I am sure there are also people out there who enjoyed Freddy got Fingered. No opinion is "right" and none is "wrong." They are just individual opinions.

    That said, we can certainly look at collective opinions -- those held by a large majority of people -- and make an assessment as to whether a film or more or less likely to be judged "good" or "bad" by most people who see it. A film that collects a lot of positive reviews, both from critics and from everyday moviegoers, is more likely to be one a random person would enjoy. I am sure we can agree on that.

    So, with that said, Lets look at some widely regarded metrics to see whether most people think Civil War or BvS is the better film.

    Rotten Tomatoes: Civil War 90% -- BvS 24%
    Flixster Civil War 89% -- BvS 64%
    IMDB: Civil War 7.9 -- BvS 6.7
    Metacritic: Civil War 75 -- BvS 44

    So, by these 4 metrics (2 for critics and 2 for common folks) we have Civil War being judged the better film... often by large, large margins. Again, while an individual opinion may vary, it is clear that most people felt Civil War was the significantly better film (and was one of the better films of 2016).

    -Jason "I will admit that there is a collective belief that Marvel movies rock while DC films suck which could be tainting these numbers a bit... but I also think each franchise has earned their rep honestly" Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    And, Jason, the fact that you DID like Civil War "seriously hurts your credibility with me."
    I saw Civil War was on Netflix so I watched. I put it in the same bucket as Guardians of the Galaxy, which many people loved - action, CGI, pitter-patter humor, no real character or story development. I find the superhero fighting thing exhausting and tune out.

    Yet somehow I loved last year's Mad Max, which also lacked the character development.

    The best action movie I have seen in years is The Man From Nowhere, a South Korean effort from a few years ago. I'm curious if any one else here has seen it.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Ironically, the City of Angels
    Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    I saw Civil War was on Netflix so I watched. I put it in the same bucket as Guardians of the Galaxy, which many people loved - action, CGI, pitter-patter humor, no real character or story development. I find the superhero fighting thing exhausting and tune out.

    Yet somehow I loved last year's Mad Max, which also lacked the character development.

    The best action movie I have seen in years is The Man From Nowhere, a South Korean effort from a few years ago. I'm curious if any one else here has seen it.
    That's a great movie. I think A New World is better (of semi-recent Korean action-y films), but that was very good. Heck, I'd rate it highly on the knife fight alone.

Similar Threads

  1. Dr. Strange review & ranking the Marvel movies
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-10-2016, 12:22 PM
  2. Avengers: Age of Ultron 3rd trailer
    By DukeFanSince1990 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-04-2015, 01:15 PM
  3. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-11-2015, 08:56 AM
  4. The Duke Avengers
    By flyingdutchdevil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-22-2012, 10:58 AM
  5. Top Films
    By Udaman in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-09-2012, 07:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •