Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke vs Wake Forest (2/18, 1pm ET) Pre-game and in-game thread

Big win last night. We need to consolidate the win with a home win against Wake. Discuss.

I know some posters were hoping for some blowouts in some earlier games like Wake and Pitt but I liked the fact that they were close because I think it kept us hungry and built confidence in tight games. But I think it is now time to show we can crush a team also. A big lead will give us a chance to test Allen and Jefferson while getting some more solid minutes for Giles, Jackson and Bolden. It might also make the remaining teams on the schedule pause, knowing that we don't have to gut out all of our games.

Blowout?

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    I know some posters were hoping for some blowouts in some earlier games like Wake and Pitt but I liked the fact that they were close because I think it kept us hungry and built confidence in tight games. But I think it is now time to show we can crush a team also. A big lead will give us a chance to test Allen and Jefferson while getting some more solid minutes for Giles, Jackson and Bolden. It might also make the remaining teams on the schedule pause, knowing that we don't have to gut out all of our games.
    I'd be happy with a one point win. Wake is a pretty decent team (#34 in Pomeroy).

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Discuss.
    The only thing to discuss is why the Viewing Options for Wake Forest Game (including free stream) thread created by awhom111 isn't the pregame thread.

Duke is going to do Duke things. Wake is going to do Wake things. There's your keys to the game. But come Saturday, dozens of DBR procrastinators will frantically ask for help when they realize none of their ESPN channels are broadcasting the game. By then, if no thread merging occurs, the Viewing Options thread will be hidden on Page 3 of the Main Forum, and this thread will offer no help (aside from this post). They'll ask in this thread and, denied instant gratification, go to chat and ask there. Then it's up to me, or some other helpful schmuck, to look up the link to free streaming and post it there. I would do this not because I am nice, or fair, but because I really don't want to type out the play by play.

Brevity, knowing DBR better than DBR itself since 2008.

Our first rematch game (although four of the remaining five regular-season games will be rematches). Makes me very much miss the old double-round-robin. Danny Manning is probably scheming to stop Luke Kennard, after what happened over here in Deacland. And I have a feeling that the Crazies may have a hearty word or two ready for one Brandon Childress.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I'd be happy with a one point win. Wake is a pretty decent team (#34 in Pomeroy).
    This ... Wake is not only very solid (a very good 3-point shooting team, surrounding the best big man in the ACC), but there are a desperate team on the NCAA bubble. Good RPI, but what they lack are good wins -- they are 0-7 vs. the top 25 and 1-8 vs. the top 50. A road win at Duke is the kind of thing that could get them in.

In recent years, Wake has been tough in Lawrence Joel, but not so much of a threat in Cameron. Remember in 2015, they took us to the wire in Joel, then in the late rematch in Durham, Duke blasted them 94-51 in Grayson Allen's breakout game (27 points)? I'd love to see something similar with Harry Giles -- who took a ton of abuse in Winston -- having his breakout game.

But I hope nobody is taking this one for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    This ... Wake is not only very solid (a very good 3-point shooting team, surrounding the best big man in the ACC), but there are a desperate team on the NCAA bubble. Good RPI, but what they lack are good wins -- they are 0-7 vs. the top 25 and 1-8 vs. the top 50. A road win at Duke is the kind of thing that could get them in.

In recent years, Wake has been tough in Lawrence Joel, but not so much of a threat in Cameron. Remember in 2015, they took us to the wire in Joel, then in the late rematch in Durham, Duke blasted them 94-51 in Grayson Allen's breakout game (27 points)? I'd love to see something similar with Harry Giles -- who took a ton of abuse in Winston -- having his breakout game.

But I hope nobody is taking this one for granted.
    Yes. THIS is the game for Giles and Bolden to show they've arrived. I want to see Giles playing with Bolden's power and Bolden playing with Giles' savvy. I want to see these guys just own Collins on both ends. Do that and you just might get your blowout.

Go Duke!!!

I assume you meant "rest Allen and Jefferson". I would be in favor of not playing Allen at all to let his ankle heal, unless he is absolutely needed during the course of the game. As far as Jefferson, it has been said that playing on his injury would not further aggravate the injury. If this is true, there is no apparent reason to rest him.

UNLV and Georgia Tech are both quite aware of our ability to crush teams. But I agree, it'd be nice to give Allen and Amile some rest(maybe Jones too). I'd welcome a blowout after 3 tense games in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    UNLV and Georgia Tech are both quite aware of our ability to crush teams. But I agree, it'd be nice to give Allen and Amile some rest(maybe Jones too). I'd welcome a blowout after 3 tense games in a row.
    I would welcome a blow out as well, but I don't think it's going to be against Wake. The Deacs have a pretty good team with a balance of inside and outside play. I do want to see Grayson school Childress in this one. GoDuke!

I can see maybe resting Grayson, but not Amile. Mainly because we have a very capable back up in Frank, but Harry and Marquis are still learning the inside game..

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    I can see maybe resting Grayson, but not Amile. Mainly because we have a very capable back up in Frank, but Harry and Marquis are still learning the inside game..
    Only in a blow out. But I do have confidence in them if Amile is in foul trouble. It seems Amile is making some really bad fouls. Something I didn't see before he was injured. It could be from not being able to do the things he did naturally before the injury. GoDuke!

I'm loving our defense. That's all I have to say about that.

My memory may be faulty, but I thought the last game was very chippy and was called very tightly. Will this one face continuous stoppages and FT shooting? We got home court advantage so we should have a slight advantage. Hold serve is the name of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    My memory may be faulty, but I thought the last game was very chippy and was called very tightly. Will this one face continuous stoppages and FT shooting? We got home court advantage so we should have a slight advantage. Hold serve is the name of the game.
    You remember correctly, and you are being kind. Wake tried to bait Grayson the entire game, and the way the game was called made it damn near impossible to watch. 30 fouls called on Duke, 20 on Wake. http://www.goduke.com/fls/4200/stats...l-m/DU0128.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    You remember correctly, and you are being kind. Wake tried to bait Grayson the entire game, and the way the game was called made it damn near impossible to watch. 30 fouls called on Duke, 20 on Wake. http://www.goduke.com/fls/4200/stats...l-m/DU0128.pdf
    V. 12 to 21 at uva. Dang!, I miss flowy hoops!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    V. 12 to 21 at uva. Dang!, I miss flowy hoops!

-jk
    Agreed. And UVA's number is skewed by intentional fouling late.

I thought the Duke-UNC game was well-called in that regard as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    I assume you meant "rest Allen and Jefferson". I would be in favor of not playing Allen at all to let his ankle heal, unless he is absolutely needed during the course of the game. As far as Jefferson, it has been said that playing on his injury would not further aggravate the injury. If this is true, there is no apparent reason to rest him.
    Yes, I meant rest. Pretty pore proof reading on my part.

I have no comments on the game.

But I want to commend Brevity on the masterful level of his snark.

If Snark were a skill in Skyrim, Brevity would have taken it to 100, made it Legendary, and taken it to 100 again.

Brevity. He doesn't always post...but when he does, he prefers to snark. And he does it with the cool of Old Dos Equis Guy, not New Dos Equis Guy.