View Poll Results: Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 65-55 win over Virginia?

Voters
168. You may not vote on this poll
  • Amile Jefferson

0 0%
  • Jayson Tatum

159 94.64%
  • Matt Jones

4 2.38%
  • Luke Kennard

2 1.19%
  • Grayson Allen

0 0%
  • Frank Jackson

1 0.60%
  • Harry Giles

2 1.19%
  • Marques Bolden

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Nice blurb on Harry in a post game writeup.

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebask...-its-best-shot
    (That whole article is a good one to read.)
    I too enjoyed that piece. Basically, the gist is that Duke is learning to win ugly. To me, it's a sign of growing team cohesion and maturity, always a good thing at this time of year. We're gonna be right in the mix come March.

I went with Tatum for obvious reasons, but glad to see at least one renegade giving some love to Mr. Jones. Jones played great defense throughout. I thought Jones and Jefferson kept the game within reach early by getting us extra possessions through Jones's steals and Jefferson's offensive boards. If the two of them hadn't brought that intensity from the opening tip, the game may have gotten a bit out of reach for us early. Jones also added an important layup to start the second half and a big three in the second half as well.

For MOTM was Jayson. He scored 21 in the second half. Duke scored 21 in the first half.

Sometimes we should just list 1 choice.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Nice blurb on Harry in a post game writeup.

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebask...-its-best-shot
    (That whole article is a good one to read.)
    Check the comments!

Haters heads be exploding like boom!

Quote Originally Posted by Ballboy1998 View Post
    I went with Tatum for obvious reasons, but glad to see at least one renegade giving some love to Mr. Jones. Jones played great defense throughout. I thought Jones and Jefferson kept the game within reach early by getting us extra possessions through Jones's steals and Jefferson's offensive boards. If the two of them hadn't brought that intensity from the opening tip, the game may have gotten a bit out of reach for us early. Jones also added an important layup to start the second half and a big three in the second half as well.
    As the renegade in question (I have since attracted two followers), I figured since Tatum had over 100 votes, Jones deserved at least one.

Without Matt's defense we do not win this game. He was outstanding for the entire game. Others were warm and cool. Tatum comes in a strong second with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Without Matt's defense we do not win this game. He was outstanding for the entire game. Others were warm and cool. Tatum comes in a strong second with me.
    Well that gets Matt up to 2.55%. Sorry but this was Jayson's game with a big gap between him and everyone else (there was no 'strong second').

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Well that gets Matt up to 2.55%. Sorry but this was Jayson's game with a big gap between him and everyone else (there was no 'strong second').
    Matt may not be shooting the ball like he did last season, but he's needed for his defense. Until this season, I'm guilty of not appreciating his defense. He's made a believer out of me. Plus he's hit some big shots this season and is likely to go off again in one of our upcoming games. With Grayson not running on a full tank of gas, we just might need him to light up the Deacons. GoDuke!

Yeah, I think Jones was a great player in the win. But without Tatum, we lose that game. Jones played well, and was big part of why it was a 10-point win instead of neck and neck. But without Tatum's performance on both ends of the floor, we simply don't have a chance to win that game.

All of which begs the question...

Thought's regarding the MOTM poll.

I’m not singling out this games poll in particular, but referencing the MOTM polls in general.

My understanding of the MOTM is to determine the one (1) individual that was THE single, above the rest, player of the game.

Now, understanding that everyone’s criteria might be a bit different, some components seem obvious.

There are no right or wrong answers in the voting, only personal opinion.

Like for me in the Notre Dame game, if one play would qualify for MOTM, it’s Luke’s flying baseline save on the offensive end, with a midair bounce pass nutmeg of Vastoria to Grayson for a three.

That seemed to ignite the team.

There are always defensive or leadership contributions that don’t necessarily show up in the stat line, That are critical to overall Team game.

Then there are those polls where two players are so close it's a coin flip, those are some my personal favorites

But do they meet the MOTM objective, important, YES, but MOTM?

Consistently, most posters get that one player was clearly the MOTM, but put their mentions in a post, about those other players and contributions so that their efforts not be overlooked, and that is as it should be.

Is there another poll necessary that the MOTM doesn’t cover?
    Let's go DUKE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by BluDvlsN1 View Post
    Is there another poll necessary that the MOTM doesn’t cover?
    Sure is. One that only I vote in because I know that I am always right.

Sure is. One that only I vote in because I know that I am always right.
    Hahaha, most of us experts would agree with that, just not collectively.
    Let's go DUKE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Matt may not be shooting the ball like he did last season, but he's needed for his defense. Until this season, I'm guilty of not appreciating his defense. He's made a believer out of me. Plus he's hit some big shots this season and is likely to go off again in one of our upcoming games. With Grayson not running on a full tank of gas, we just might need him to light up the Deacons. GoDuke!
    Just to be clear. I love Matt Jones and the intelligent hard nosed defense he brings to the team. I didn't mean anything negative about Matt at all. But this is a MOTM poll/thread not a "player who I like who had a nice game" thread. That's what the post game thread is for.

Just to be clear. I love Matt Jones and the intelligent hard nosed defense he brings to the team. I didn't mean anything negative about Matt at all. But this is a MOTM poll/thread not a "player who I like who had a nice game" thread. That's what the post game thread is for.
    I agree the poll if for the MOTM but some might feel, as I do, that the importance of the contribution by Matt on defense exceeded the single importance of any other player. In a low scoring game, defense is critical. More so than in a higher scoring one. Just my opinion and I know that my opinion is paramount.

In a low scoring game, defense is critical. More so than in a higher scoring one.
    In a low scoring game, is defense truly more critical than offense? Seems to me like every point we score is as important as every point they do not.

Good luck calculating how many points Matt personally took off their side of the scoreboard, but we certainly know how many points (and the percentage of our total) Jayson put on our side.
    Last edited by Jeffrey; 02-17-2017 at 01:55 PM. Reason: added a line