Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 64, Clemson 62 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Great use of our depth in the second half.

Hmmm ... a really difficult decision it will be as to who was player of the game for Duke.

Survived a choppy second half, including some misses on the front end of one and ones. Fatigue showed with some, Jerfferson did a nice job of staying in the game. There are no easy ACC games.

This one definitely reeked of fatigue (emotional and perhaps physical). Our defense was solid (and helped by Clemson) in the first half, but our guards' legs looked shot on that end in the second. Thankfully we held on.

Hope Allen's ankle is okay. He wasn't effective, and I think the quick turnaround plus the injury was the culprit.

Let's get some rest. Big game in four days.

We are currently in fourth in the conference (would stay there in UVa loses), with a chance to move up if we can win on Wednesday.

We did look tired, especially in the second half. Maybe some of Grayson's loss of effectiveness was due to the early rolling of his ankle or just tiredness. Our defense was compromised in the second half with Jefferson in foul trouble. I noted earlier in the game that Giles gave some good minutes defensively. He forced altered shots and he got some rebounds.

The decision was made to run the offense through Kennard and he again showed what he can do.

We will need to get some rest and prepare for the next opponent. Nothing will come easily in theACC

Quote Originally Posted by Ballboy1998 View Post
    Great use of our depth in the second half.
    Ineffective use of sarcasm in post game thread's first post.

<whistle>

Foul on the play.

They did look tired. Especially after the big UNC win, could be emotional too. I agree with others the bench should see some time in these games. We got McDonald's All Americans sitting on the bench, and they ain't getting no better just sitting there. Now I will go polish my 5 National Championship trophies that I don't have because I obviously know more than K.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Ineffective use of sarcasm in post game thread's first post.

<whistle>

Foul on the play.
    It was about the nicest way I could put it. I generally don't complain about K's short bench, as I've come to terms with it and it obviously works for him more often than not.

But in a game where I thought the bench gave good minutes in the first half -- Jackson, Giles, and Bolden all gave quality minutes -- and the starters looked like dead men walking in the second half, it seemed like a misstep not to use a bit more depth. Grayson was clearly limited, whether by fatigue, his ankle, or some combination of the two, and I am really hoping this ankle tweak doesn't derail the momentum he gathered over the last few games.

Other than being worried about Grayson's ankle, I don't take much negative away from the game. Duke was clearly and unsurprisingly drained, and the ACC this year is all about just trying to grind out wins. I know scheduling isn't easy, but making Duke play on a less than 48hr turnaround against an opponent who had four days off is weak scheduling.

Ugly win, but they all look the same in the W-L column. Actually, thought it was great that as gassed as we clearly were late, we held on and won. Not sure we'd have done that at some points in the conference season. It's a valuable skill, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Doria View Post
    Ugly win, but they all look the same in the W-L column. Actually, thought it was great that as gassed as we clearly were late, we held on and won. Not sure we'd have done that at some points in the conference season. It's a valuable skill, too.
    I think I either don't understand or agree with others' use of the term "ugly win." Do they not watch the game? Do they not find beauty in the game? Is any game that doesn't beat the point spread ugly? How was this an "ugly" win?

Is that how you'd describe it to one of the players? "Hey Luke. Ugly win. Try to make it pretty, ok? Winning isn't good enough. I want pretty, ok?"

Quote Originally Posted by Coballs View Post
    Two thoughts on this game:

-We nearly lost to an inferior opponent because our team was gassed while Coach K refused to use his bench in the second half.

-The quick turnaround is something this team may very likely see again in March. They need to be ready for it next time.
    That is EXACTLY why Coach K stayed with his short bench!

In the tournament, a one loss elimination format, Coach K plays his best players as much as possible. This game was great preparation for the tournament, particularly for Luke and Jayson. Now they have done it and will know what to expect in March and April.

I may be wrong about this, but here goes anyway. I believe for Duke to be a FF team, one of Giles/Bolden will have to play at least 10-12 minutes. I'm hoping that one of them will improve enough that Coach K will be forced to play him. I just don't believe our ceiling is that great without one of them stepping up. I'm not sure Harry trusts his knees enough to play with confidence and play tough hard nosed basketball. If that's true, I hope Marques gets himself ready mentally to get the job. I am liking that Coach is trusting Frank and getting him minutes. In my eye, he's the best ball handler we have and a pretty good on the ball defender. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I may be wrong about this, but here goes anyway. I believe for Duke to be a FF team, one of Giles/Bolden will have to play at least 10-12 minutes. I'm hoping that one of them will improve enough that Coach K will be forced to play him. I just don't believe our ceiling is that great without one of them stepping up. I'm not sure Harry trusts his knees enough to play with confidence and play tough hard nosed basketball. If that's true, I hope Marques gets himself ready mentally to get the job. I am liking that Coach is trusting Frank and getting him minutes. In my eye, he's the best ball handler we have and a pretty good on the ball defender. GoDuke!
    For what it is worth I don't think you are wrong. We have to be able to trust one or both of them for quality minutes to make a deep run. Amile is terrific but undersized in many of his matchups & he will get in foul trouble. Just like today. We will need their size & hopefully one or both will break out on the offensive end..

I believe for Duke to be a FF team, one of Giles/Bolden will have to play at least 10-12 minutes.
    Well... Harry played 10 minutes today.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Well... Harry played 10 minutes today.
    I'm raising my minutes for Harry and Marques to 25 between the two. Especially after looking at Neals +/-. GoDuke!

Two things that come to mind.
    1) As I said in the MOTM Thread, Matt Jones just turned in 2 games in a row with great defense. The man is so tough and smart. He's not the fastest or jumps the highest, but he sure is one valuable player for the good guys.
    2) It seemed to me after Grayson turned his ankle, he was not even close to 100%. Part of that was probably mental fatigue and the other was his ankle. He lost his quickness and got no lift on his shots. I believe that Frank could have played more in the 2nd half to give Grayson more rest. I think Grayson had 32 minutes and Frank 14 minutes. I hate saying that because Grayson is one of my favorite Duke players but the truth is the truth. GoDuke!

Giles played 10 minutes today, fyi. Frank, 14.

I have been very impressed with Frank Jackson this season. He has exceeded my expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

In the tournament, a one loss elimination format, Coach K plays his best players as much as possible. This game was great preparation for the tournament, particularly for Luke and Jayson. Now they have done it and will know what to expect in March and April.
    Can't spork you again, I agree completely, K's always looking for and finding teaching moments
    and with our youth, he can't pass them up.
    Let's go DUKE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

Team's back on the usual timetable: shorten the rotation for three weeks in February and lengthen it slightly going into March/ACC Tournament.

Barring injury, K's going with a 7 man rotation in the Dance. Bolden's the odd man out.

Nearly blowing a 13 point lead is problematic, but this game was the mirror image of the NCSU game. Clemson doesn't have a Dennis Smith, but K would have still found a way to beat NC State.

Team lacks a killer instinct and plays up or down to their opponent too much. Could spell disaster in the early rounds. UVa on the road will be a big test.