Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

To Stay at Duke or Go Pro? Harry Giles

I don't like to reference Bleacher Report articles but I thought this one was fairly informative and addressed some of the major questions regarding the decision Harry will have to make after this season ends.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...sible-question

My opinion is that if he can get a $10 million dollar insurance policy from Lloyd's, he should return to Duke next year to show the world why he was considered one of the best HS prospects in this generation just 2 summers ago. The difference between being a mid-first round pick in the 2017 Draft and a top 5 pick in the 2018 NBA Draft is $15M+.

What do you all think?

Really? On Rivalry Night? Why don't we discuss the big game and worry about this topic in April.
    Bob Green

I wonder if he has considered shutting it down for the season? NCAA football players have shut their seasons down before bowl games to avoid injury. Its different for basketball with the NCAA tourney, if you make the field you have a shot at a title. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Really? On Rivalry Night? Why don't we discuss the big game and worry about this topic in April.
    These topics are mutually exclusive right? There's no reason why people can't talk about the game tonight and have an ongoing discussion about this as well.

I hope Harry rejects and posterizes Meeks tonight by the way.

He should get to the end of the year and evaluate. As should we.

Quote Originally Posted by UNCfan View Post
    I wonder if he has considered shutting it down for the season? NCAA football players have shut their seasons down before bowl games to avoid injury. Its different for basketball with the NCAA tourney, if you make the field you have a shot at a title. Thoughts?
    Dude, really? Just hours away from Duke-UNC? You took it too far, son.

Locking... in 3, 2, 1...
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

These basketball players are among the most competitive people on earth. They want to play, and -- it seems -- Giles and others have totally bought into K and the team. Besides, the rust is very evident, and he needs to play, even if it's mostly practice.

McCaffrey skipped a meaningless bowl game. Plus, he seems to have had the complete support of his teammates. McCaffrey comes from a family of professional athletes.

Leonard Fournette skipped LSU's bowl game. I know less of his background.

This is two (and there may have been a couple of others) out of hundreds of college seniors and potential draft picks.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdghRwWfaOQ
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

The last thing Giles needs to do is sit out. He sat out for two years and it shows. No team with any sense would draft him at the top of the draft based on what he has done this year.

I think Harry had a well spoken interview about skipping the season and getting ready for the NBA Draft. My memory is not what it used to be but I believe he said he was all in for Duke University and has loved Duke for a long time. GoDuke!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DukeTrinity11 View Post
    I don't like to reference Bleacher Report articles but I thought this one was fairly informative and addressed some of the major questions regarding the decision Harry will have to make after this season ends.

My opinion is that if he can get a $10 million dollar insurance policy from Lloyd's, he should return to Duke next year to show the world why he was considered one of the best HS prospects in this generation just 2 summers ago. The difference between being a mid-first round pick in the 2017 Draft and a top 5 pick in the 2018 NBA Draft is $15M+.

What do you all think?
    It was a good article, I thought, a big surprise coming from BR. Thanks for sharing it, even if the timing wasn't the best.

I agree with others that Harry can't sit out. I think he's got two pretty good choices for a guy who's had two ACL reconstructions (I have one myself, albeit back when the doctors were using leeches). I think it's very hard for someone with Harry's incredible reputation to come back for another year, but I'd love to see more of him in a Duke uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeTrinity11 View Post

What do you all think?

What's the premium on a $10 million policy? It has to be a huge, 6 figure premium. How could Giles or his family afford to pay it without getting help from an agent? Would it be a violation of NCAA rules to the Giles family to syndicate this risk and have investors pay the premium in return for a share of Gile's future NBA earnings ?

I'm not arguing this point with you but I am genuinely curious on these issues and wonder how the kids mentioned in the article were able to pay for the policy.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    What's the premium on a $10 million policy? It has to be a huge, 6 figure premium. How could Giles or his family afford to pay it without getting help from an agent? Would it be a violation of NCAA rules to the Giles family to syndicate this risk and have investors pay the premium in return for a share of Gile's future NBA earnings ?

I'm not arguing this point with you but I am genuinely curious on these issues and wonder how the kids mentioned in the article were able to pay for the policy.
    http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...rance-programs

"Exceptional Student-Athlete Disability Insurance Program"

Maximum coverages available under the program are:

Men’s Basketball $10 million

Football $10 million

Baseball $5 million

Men’s Ice Hockey $3 million

Women’s Basketball $250,000

Not happening. He's had 2 knee surgeries and is likely a guaranteed top 15 pick. Take the money and run.

I read it and admit it's a tough choice.

I would come back for 2 reasons:

1. More to gain than to lose. If he comes back and does well its a potential 21 million gain. I believe 2.525 mil a year isn't worth 8.75 mil tomorrow. And ifhe doesn't do well and falls lower then his price goes down to 1.825 mil a year. IMO the potential of gaining 3+ times the money is worth the risk of losing 30%.

2. Even if the apocalyptic scenario of him losing his career to another injury, he'll be closer to a degree from Duke. On top of that it is early enough in his studies to change to a high grossing major (granted he may be there now but I haven't looked).

Quote Originally Posted by downtowndevil View Post
    http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...rance-programs

"Exceptional Student-Athlete Disability Insurance Program"

Maximum coverages available under the program are:

Men’s Basketball $10 million

Football $10 million

Baseball $5 million

Men’s Ice Hockey $3 million

Women’s Basketball $250,000
    Thanks, I was not aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by gocanes0506 View Post
    I read it and admit it's a tough choice.

I would come back for 2 reasons:

1. More to gain than to lose. If he comes back and does well its a potential 21 million gain. I believe 2.525 mil a year isn't worth 8.75 mil tomorrow. And ifhe doesn't do well and falls lower then his price goes down to 1.825 mil a year. IMO the potential of gaining 3+ times the money is worth the risk of losing 30%.

2. Even if the apocalyptic scenario of him losing his career to another injury, he'll be closer to a degree from Duke. On top of that it is early enough in his studies to change to a high grossing major (granted he may be there now but I haven't looked).
    He's not going to risk the $2.5 mil. If he were already wealthy, I could see your logic, but he and his family almost certainly feel like there's more to lose than gain.

I've actually thought and talked to other Duke fans about this a lot.
    To me this paragraph sums up the decision:
    That line of thinking goes like this: In the NBA, big money comes with the second deal, not the first. If you're going to put your fragile body on the line, don't do it when you're playing for free in college. Do it when you already have money in your pocket—when you can play without abandon, knowing that if you get hurt again, you won't suddenly go broke.

If we KNEW, absolutely KNEW his knew would hold up, I'd come back. K will get him, in a softer draft, into the top five, I'm sure of it with an entire off season of training. But we don't know that and so...K needs to work the phones for this wonderful young man and if he can go to a good organization Trailblazers, Mavs, Pistons (my beloved Nuggets if they fall out of the playoffs as I suspect they will) with patience, he has to go. Has to. Has to. It's sad but life sometimes works this way.

After Jabari's injury yesterday or the day before, Giles, has to go and change the life of his future children.

Also

The article doesn't consider one cost of an additional year of college: it's another year before you get out from under the rookie salary limits. So it's not considering the loss of one very big year (we hope) of future earnings. Of course, if Harry has a great career, he'll make a ton either way, but that also has to be a factor.