The Simpsons and Gay Characters

Just wanted to share what I thought was a fascinating article about the classic Simpsons episode with John Waters and why it was such a seminal moment in gay characters on TV. I do not offer this article as some kind of debate about homosexuality or society's attitude toward LGTBQ issues/rights, merely as an interesting flashback to a time when being gay on TV was a really, really big deal. The behind the scenes stuff about how the episode was made is pretty cool.

And when thinking about how to create a foil for Waters, he recalled über Simpsons writer John Swartzwelder giving him this advice: “Write Homer the way that you would write a dog. He’s got really [a] limited attention span. He loves his food. He loves his sex. He’s completely stupid. And he will defend his family to the death.” In other words, Homer as homophobic ignoramus wouldn’t be a stretch.

“We had a big task in this episode, and that was to overcome Homer’s prejudice,” writer Ron Hauge said. “You have to do it with a good, positive character who can earn that.”
    -Jason "" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

What about Smithers?

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    What about Smithers?
    I think Smithers's journey was more of a slow burn. In the first seasons he was just a toady who worked for Burns. As I recall, it was later seasons that we learn his devotion to C. Montgomery Burns was more than professional.

Also, did anyone else watch the Burns-centric two-part episode from a few weeks ago? One of the better episodes I have seen in recent seasons. I loved the epic Waylon Smithers ice journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I think Smithers's journey was more of a slow burn. In the first seasons he was just a toady who worked for Burns. As I recall, it was later seasons that we learn his devotion to C. Montgomery Burns was more than professional.

Also, did anyone else watch the Burns-centric two-part episode from a few weeks ago? One of the better episodes I have seen in recent seasons. I loved the epic Waylon Smithers ice journey.

I thought it was outstanding. I take Simpsons for granted, I know, but the brilliant writing shows no sign of fading.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Not only that, he was initially black.

[Groening] claimed that the character was always meant to be yellow, but animators painted him the wrong color and, because they were low on funds, they could not afford a retake.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

The episode referenced was actually pre-dated by one of my favorite episodes and lines in Simpson's history that aired in late 1994 - Homer gets kicked out of Moe's and is looking for a new bar to frequent. One of the bars he goes to is a somewhat over-the-top lesbian bar. In typical Homer fashion, he senses that there is something different about the bar but he can't put his finger on it. Finally, he realizes it and says “There's something bothering me about this place...I know! This lesbian bar doesn't have a fire exit. Enjoy your death trap, ladies.”

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Fear_of_Flying

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/She-She_Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    The episode referenced was actually pre-dated by one of my favorite episodes and lines in Simpson's history that aired in late 1994 - Homer gets kicked out of Moe's and is looking for a new bar to frequent. One of the bars he goes to is a somewhat over-the-top lesbian bar. In typical Homer fashion, he senses that there is something different about the bar but he can't put his finger on it. Finally, he realizes it and says “There's something bothering me about this place...I know! This lesbian bar doesn't have a fire exit. Enjoy your death trap, ladies.”

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Fear_of_Flying

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/She-She_Lounge
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Just wanted to share what I thought was a fascinating article about the classic Simpsons episode with John Waters
    Thanks for sharing that. I found the timeline to be one of the most interesting facts. I didn't remember this was pre-Ellen and all.

Quote Originally Posted by GDT View Post
    Thanks for sharing that. I found the timeline to be one of the most interesting facts. I didn't remember this was pre-Ellen and all.
    Goes to show... Simpsons have been around FOREVER! And they never seem to age!