ESPN's Players To Watch This Year

ESPN had a segment on college players to watch this year. Unless I missed something, ESPN did not include Kyle Singler on this list. Mayo, Beasley, and Gordon were included among others. Even though it is ESPN, I was still kind of surprised not to see Kyle on the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Devil View Post
    ESPN had a segment on college players to watch this year. Unless I missed something, ESPN did not include Kyle Singler on this list. Mayo, Beasley, and Gordon were included among others. Even though it is ESPN, I was still kind of surprised not to see Kyle on the screen.
    Hey, it's ESPN. How can anything surprise you?

Why does this bother you?

Wink Good

I prefer the element of surprise. Bring him in under the radar. I almost wish he hadn't been mentioned at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    That response seems "simply nasty and added no value to the conversation."

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    That response seems "simply nasty and added no value to the conversation."
    Huh? I want to know why it bothers someone that ESPN didn't include Singler on a list. If you have beef with moderation, there's a private message option to handle those issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    He said "surprised." Why did you transmute that to "bothered"?

Quote Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
    He said "surprised." Why did you transmute that to "bothered"?
    It seems to be a fair assumption that he wouldn't have posted if it made him happy. But, if you'd like me to rephrase it, I suppose I'd be interested in why he was surprised, too.

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    I prefer the element of surprise. Bring him in under the radar. I almost wish he hadn't been mentioned at all.
    You think Kyle Singler is under the radar?

Forget surprised or bothered - I'm wondering why this merits a post at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    You think Kyle Singler is under the radar?

Forget surprised or bothered - I'm wondering why this merits a post at all.
    I don't. Maybe he is under the beams for ESPN.

Well...

I'm pretty sure he was #4 on Jay Bilas' Top 5 Freshmen List.

So not completely under the radar. I think SI has him ranked as the #7 out of 15 top freshment and they even say he is "sure to run away with ACC ROY Honors."

While we're on the subject of rankings, Bilas has Duke at #8 in his top 10 teams, while SI does not have us in their Power 16. Remember also that SI left Duke's backcourt out of the top 15 backcourts, and also, which was most surprising to me, DeMarcus Nelson did not make the top 15 seniors???

That was really surprising to me, I thought he'd be a lock for top 10.

We're going to be on ESPN/espn2 16 times this year (not including the ACC tournament). Not going to do the research, but I think it's a safe bet to say that's more than any other program. So if we think that they're snubbing Singler now, they're going to be pretty instrumental in showcasing him come bball season. We're probably just looking into it too much.

Bothered? Hardly.

ESPN's omission of Singler does not bother me in the least nor does it make me unhappy. Like I said originally, even though it was ESPN it was still a bit surprising (which is different that bothered), given the accolades he has received and everything that I have read about him. I just assumed someone that seems to be a top 5 or 6 freshman nationally would be mentioned, no matter the anti-Duke bias.

Tough posters here are starting to make me understand why people hate me as a Duke fan here in Ohio.

I am far less concerned how our players or team is ranked before the season starts, than I am after the season is over. I firmly believe we will be more than fine this year, and if we are able to sneak up on a few teams, even better.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    I am far less concerned how our players or team is ranked before the season starts, than I am after the season is over. I firmly believe we will be more than fine this year, and if we are able to sneak up on a few teams, even better.
    Hear! Hear! Well said.