View Poll Results: Duke's Final ACC Regular Season Record?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • 14-4

5 5.56%
  • 13-5

1 1.11%
  • 12-6

9 10.00%
  • 11-7

18 20.00%
  • 10-8

22 24.44%
  • 9-9

18 20.00%
  • 8-10

12 13.33%
  • 7-11

5 5.56%
  • 6-12

0 0%
  • 5-13

0 0%
  • 4-14

0 0%
  • 3-15

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Predict Duke's Final ACC Regular Season Record

Since this has become a topic of discussion, we might as well formalize with a poll. You can choose to only vote in the poll, or you can add details to your prediction in a post.

We are playing for fun... AND massive pride. Predict the record correctly, and you will get showered with praise.

Duke is now 3-4 in the ACC after 7 games. What will our final record be? Here is the rest of our schedule:

8. @Wake
    9. @Notre Dame
    10. Pitt
    11. UNC
    12. Clemson
    13. @UVA
    14. Wake
    15. @Syracuse
    16. @Miami
    17. FSU
    18. @UNC

O
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Since this has become a topic of discussion, we might as well formalize with a poll. You can choose to only vote in the poll, or you can add details to your prediction in a post.

We are playing for fun... AND massive pride. Predict the record correctly, and you will get showered with praise.

Duke is now 3-4 in the ACC after 7 games. What will our final record be? Here is the rest of our schedule:

8. @Wake
    9. @Notre Dame
    10. Pitt
    11. UNC
    12. Clemson
    13. @UVA
    14. Wake
    15. @Syracuse
    16. @Miami
    17. FSU
    18. @UNC
    Troublemaker, I was thinking about this too watching that game v State. Recall all the posts of 12-6 etc just last week? I almost posted this very same topic a few minutes ago. I posted last week I was HOPING for 10-8. I would be elated w 10-8 if we looked good going into the tourney

A) We have yet to win a road game. 0-3. That lends itself to a 9-9 record right there. Drop a game or three at home. Hope to pick up a game or two on the road.

B) we are screwed by the schedule makers - UNC has TWO road games vs ranked opponents. And that assumes We are ranked !!!! We have FIVE games on road vs ranked opponents.

I'll hope for 9-9.

Wins 2 of the three -at Wake, Syracuse and Miami. Win all of these - Home v Pitt and Clemson and Wake and FSU. 9-9. Play well in March. Learn to play D

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    B) we are screwed by the schedule makers - UNC has TWO road games vs ranked opponents. And that assumes We are ranked !!!! We have FIVE games on road vs ranked opponents.
    UNC? We just lost to State at home, have a losing record in the ACC and UNCheat is at the top of the ACC at 6-1. We have nothing to do with them this season other than having games against them so why compare us to them. We need to be talking about Wake, GaTech, and the Big East wannabe Syracuse, sadly those are teams we are trying to beat out.

8. @Wake L
    9. @Notre Dame L
    10. Pitt W
    11. UNC L
    12. Clemson W
    13. @UVA L
    14. Wake W
    15. @Syracuse W
    16. @Miami L
    17. FSU W
    18. @UNC L

With predictions...
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Wink In serious trouble

8. @Wake (L)
    9. @Notre Dame (L)
    10. Pitt (W)
    11. UNC (L)
    12. Clemson (W)
    13. @UVA (L)
    14. Wake (W)
    15. @Syracuse (W)
    16. @Miami (L)
    17. FSU (L)
    18. @UNC (L)

7-11 at best. Last year was difficult to watch due to lack of talent and depth but this team is unexplainable.

8. @Wake (W)
    9. @Notre Dame (W)
    10. Pitt (W)
    11. UNC (W)
    12. Clemson (W)
    13. @UVA (L)
    14. Wake (W)
    15. @Syracuse (W)
    16. @Miami (W)
    17. FSU (W)
    18. @UNC (L)
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Presuming relative health the rest of the way (probably wishful thinking), I think we lose @ Notre Dame, @ Virginia, and @ UNC, and win the rest of our games. 11-7.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Presuming relative health the rest of the way (probably wishful thinking), I think we lose @ Notre Dame, @ Virginia, and @ UNC, and win the rest of our games. 11-7.
    This where I went as well. I could also be convinced of a 10-8 or 9-9, or 12-6. I felt we were a 12-6 or 13-5 team prior to last night. I still think we get there.

The hard part of this is that I don't think we are a complete team yet. I was hopeful that we'd get through these three games with wins as we continue to mesh. Losing this one puts more pressure on us to mesh quicker and avoid more losses in the games ahead.

If we can get the guys to buy into playing good team defense, I think the wins will come. That should bring the confidence the players need. A road win over a pretty good Wake team may get them started and who knows what might happen then. GoDuke!

One other thing, we need a healthy Amile. We've seen how poorly we play without him at 100%. Get well Amile, Chase and Coach K. GoDuke!
    Last edited by jv001; 01-24-2017 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    UNC? We just lost to State at home, have a losing record in the ACC and UNCheat is at the top of the ACC at 6-1. We have nothing to do with them this season other than having games against them so why compare us to them. We need to be talking about Wake, GaTech, and the Big East wannabe Syracuse, sadly those are teams we are trying to beat out.
    I hate this, but I think that you are right. I have seen nothing from our guys this season that tell me they are ready to take on the pressure of a rivalry game. I know that in years past we have had inferior teams that beat more talented UNC-CH teams, and more talented Duke teams have lost to inferior UNC-CH teams. Perhaps we will get a gutsy "back-against-the-wall" type performance and pull an upset like last year in the Dean Dome, but as of right now I have counted both UNC-CH games as an L.

8. @Wake
    9. @Notre Dame
    10. Pitt
    11. UNC
    12. Clemson
    13. @UVA
    14. Wake
    15. @Syracuse
    16. @Miami
    17. FSU
    18. @UNC
    The light comes on...

8. @Wake - W (jumping the road game hurdle gives us positive momentum)
    9. @Notre Dame - W (breaking the Brey curse gives us even more momentum)
    10. Pitt - W
    11. UNC - W
    12. Clemson - W
    13. @UVA - L (close loss)
    14. Wake - W
    15. @Syracuse - W
    16. @Miami - W
    17. FSU - W (Revenge game, Giles has a big game here)
    18. @UNC - W

Final record 13 - 5.

We are going to win out. Embrace the optimism.

Of course, with the struggles of this season, for some of us embracing the optimism means going with a 9-9 prediction

Wins to get to 10:

Wake twice
    Pitt
    Clemson
    Syracuse
    UNC @ home
    @Miami.

My heart says we win out!

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Wins to get to 10:

Wake twice
    Pitt
    Clemson
    Syracuse
    UNC @ home
    @Miami.
    This. I chose 10-8 and picked wins for the exact same games.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

I am going to stick with my 10-8.. Hoping that this team puts together a little streak.

I'm somewhat surprised that the predictions have formed a normal distribution around 10-8.

I would've guessed we would see a bimodal distribution, with one "pessimistic" hump and one "optimistic" hump. A normal distribution means (I think) most everyone took their predictions seriously.

In any case, 12-6 is the correct answer.

I'm somewhat surprised that the predictions have formed a normal distribution around 10-8.

I would've guessed we would see a bimodal distribution, with one "pessimistic" hump and one "optimistic" hump. A normal distribution means (I think) most everyone took their predictions seriously.

In any case, 12-6 is the correct answer.

Even in trying to be realistically optimistic(as one poster suggested in another thread), and assuming Coach K. returns for the 2/4 game vs. Pitt(which would be 4 weeks after his surgery on 1/6), I cannot come up with any better than 8-10(ouch!). This team hasn't, as Coach K is fond of saying in various forms, "learned what it takes to win," and has been hamstrung by multiple injuries(I am not saying that Coach K has said this about this squad.) If this team can indeed learn what it takes to win, which would be the medical student's equivalent of learning anatomy in 6 weeks, I will be glad to have been way off in the prediction.

I agree with you, for the most part. I think we can pull of a road win at either Wake or UVA, so I have us at 8-10. I am bewildered by the optimism of some! I would like to see us win out as much as anyone, but I think we also need to be realistic in our expectations.

Hopefully people will remember that what I PREDICT is not what I WANT to happen, just an educated opinion.

A lot will depend on when Coach K comes back... Get well soon Coach!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffNof View Post

8. @Wake (L)
    9. @Notre Dame (L)
    10. Pitt (W)
    11. UNC (L)
    12. Clemson (W)
    13. @UVA (L)
    14. Wake (W)
    15. @Syracuse (W)
    16. @Miami (L)
    17. FSU (L)
    18. @UNC (L)

7-11 at best. Last year was difficult to watch due to lack of talent and depth but this team is unexplainable.