Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Most Interesting Mistake in the World

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    Sounds like he is a cross between Patrick Davidson and that guy on the beer commercials.

ricks
    This guy: IMG_0060.JPG

Definitely not this guy: IMG_0061.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    This guy: IMG_0060.JPG

Definitely not this guy: IMG_0061.JPG
    You hit the nail on the head with that one. Well done, my friend.😉

ricks

Moved these to their own thread...

Is there a more compelling question on the planet right now than, "Why did Dos Equis get a new Most Interesting Man in the World?"

Did the old guy's contract come up and the renewal would be too expensive? Did they simply think he had gotten too old? I am dying to know why they did this -- not the BS PR reason, the real reason.

-Jason "alternate theory-- the marketing folks at Dos Equis are total idiots" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Is there a more compelling question on the planet right now than, "Why did Dos Equis get a new Most Interesting Man in the World?"

Did the old guy's contract come up and the renewal would be too expensive? Did they simply think he had gotten too old? I am dying to know why they did this -- not the BS PR reason, the real reason.

-Jason "alternate theory-- the marketing folks at Dos Equis are total idiots" Evans
    I imagine it was some demographics research. But from my perspective, a New Coke Fail.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I imagine it was some demographics research. But from my perspective, a New Coke Fail.
    Perfect comparison!
    This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
    No trees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Perfect comparison!
    Agree. Great comparison. You can't be he most interesting man in the world when you aren't even the most interesting man in your own commercials.

Agree. Great comparison. You can't be he most interesting man in the world when you aren't even the most interesting man in your own commercials.
    True. I find the giraffe goal posts more interesting than him in the one commercial.

Between the change in actors and the (presumably impending) tariff to pay for The Wall, they are barely Uno Punto Cinco Equis, at this point....
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

I'm very glad to see I'm not alone in this New Guy Fail thing. What WERE they thinking? Maybe he really did blast off into space and didn't return. But they inexplicably went from 'distinguished/yet cool' to 'scruffy bozo who looks about as least interesting as possible'. Actually, my second thought was - that's got to hurt, kicking a coconut as hard as you can with just a tennis shoe on.

(My favorites from previous versions:

He parallel parks trains

and

His mother has a tattoo that says 'son')

So I suggest switching from Dos Equis to Pacifico.

Quote Originally Posted by Faustus View Post
    ...Actually, my second thought was - that's got to hurt, kicking a coconut as hard as you can with just a tennis shoe on...
    Now THAT'S the demographic Bud should have gone for. Guys kicking dopey things around. That would sell beer.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

I'm very glad to see I'm not alone in this New Guy Fail thing. What WERE they thinking? Maybe he really did blast off into space and didn't return. But they inexplicably went from 'distinguished/yet cool' to 'scruffy bozo who looks about as least interesting as possible'. Actually, my second thought was - that's got to hurt, kicking a coconut as hard as you can with just a tennis shoe on.

He parallel parks trains

and

"Sharks have a week about him"

Two of my favorites:

“If opportunity knocks, and he’s not at home, opportunity waits“

"His tears can cure cancer; too bad he never cries“

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    "He once had an awkward moment - just to see what it felt like."
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Two of my favorites:

“If opportunity knocks, and he’s not at home, opportunity waits“

"His tears can cure cancer; too bad he never cries“
    Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    "He once had an awkward moment - just to see what it felt like."
    I think this also shows that the writing around the MIMITW has gotten sorta lame. We come up with better stuff about Patrick Davidson, although to be fair a fair bit of it is borrowed from Chuck Norris quotes.

Still.

"Old Man, New Writers" -- time to march on Madison Avenue.

I think this also shows that the writing around the MIMITW has gotten sorta lame. We come up with better stuff about Patrick Davidson, although to be fair a fair bit of it is borrowed from Chuck Norris quotes.

Still.

"Old Man, New Writers" -- time to march on Madison Avenue.
    Chuck Norris - they once named a street after him, but had to change the name, because NOBODY crosses Chuck Norris.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

I for one never really understood the Patrick Davidson stuff...

He parallel parks trains

and

When you look up Snowflake in the dictionary, his picture appears.

I hadn't seen your link before but I did see another article about it right before the switch that said Goldsmith wanted more money and better terms, and they refused. Pretty simple to me. Wasn't the first time that kind of thing has happened, and certainly won't be the last.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I for one never really understood the Patrick Davidson stuff...
    It was just a happy coincidence of timing. It stemmed from the second Wake game of 2005. Wake was led by Chris Paul, and they had beaten Duke a couple of weeks earlier. Duke had been going through a rough patch - two losses the previous week (Maryland and Va Tech) and four losses in the last seven games. In response, Coach shook up the starting lineup, and inserted senior walk-on Patrick Davidson and other bench players to send a message to the regular starters. The bench guys came out and played defense with passion, led by Davidson hounding Paul like a man with his hair on fire. He was only in for two minutes, and he picked up a foul, but he set the tone for the game and got Paul frustrated early. He got a big hug from K when he came out of the game. JJ, Shelden, Daniel, and the rest of the regulars came in, continued to play D with passion, and beat Wake that day. Duke went on to win 9 of 10 in that stretch, losing only by 2 at UNC to the #2 Heels, and taking the ACC Tournament.

At that time, the Chuck Norris meme stuff was the Internet fad of the moment, and all the outrageous stuff was circulating - mostly on the Something Awful humor website. Internet savvy Duke fans just picked up where the Something Awful folks left off, and substituted Davidson for Norris, and a DBR legend was born.
    JBDuke

The original guy, Jonathan Goldsmith (a fine Vermont chap may I say), had his contract expire and they ousted him, because (and they hate to admit this) he's in his seventies (and apparently
    doesn't appeal to their demographic, though I think they're very wrong) and they want to woo Milennials, so we get the scruffy frenchman instead...Hail to the Top Knots!