Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke 93, BC 82 Post-Game Thread

Have at it.

can't polish the turd of the last ten minutes. Really weak. If Amile is out a long time, this was a bad game all around. but a win.

Great first half. Mediocre start to the second. Awful finish to the second half. Jefferson getting hurt had a ton to do with that as we were forced to play 2-3 frosh the entire second half. It showed.

Kennard was bad today. Not as a shooter, where he was fine. But defensively he was abysmal.

Allen was terrific. Tatum had some really nice moments. Giles too. Both had lazy moments in transition though.

Bolden was energetic but missed some assignments on D.

It is a win though. Hopefully Jefferson's foot is okay. And hopefully this helps our guys learn not to get complacent.

Giles starting to show his skills and if fully healthy think he'll be a beast rest of year. Bolden seems so far behind; don't think he'll have much impact.

We scored 93 points and won by double digits so I'm not going to overreact to the end of the game.
    Bob Green

Didn't watch the collapse because I was out. But Duke was firing on most cylinders even after Amile went out. From what I've gathered it seems Duke missed several open looks during BC's run and they couldn't make a stop which could be attributed to Amile being out.

Biggest concern from this game is obviously Amile's health. FSU is giving the Hokies the business today and I'm sure they will be amped to play Duke in Tallahassee. Rest up fellas cause Tuesday is going to be tough.

Focus, must maintain it. That didn't happen today.

This was a very frustrating game to watch as a very mediocre team basically scored at will. But the team is still learning so can't take it as a sure sign of things to come.

Obviously not having Amile makes us a much less imposing team. Will just have wait for how long he'll be out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    We scored 93 points and won by double digits so I'm not going to overreact to the end of the game.
    We lose this game if we hadn't been up 25 or if we played a team with more than 2 players.

Our margin for error is slim.

Disappointing finish, but they held on and hit the FTs to close out a double digit win.

Losing Amile was the key; you could see it at the end of the first half, too.

The layup drill was a result of poor pick and roll and lack of help defense - both of those have to do with communication. Not coincidentally, Amile is the man in communicator out there. Having to play two freshmen exposed that, despite the bigs looking decent otherwise.

Experience and playing time will help improve the situation. Hopefully, it won't happen because Amile is out, but because everyone is playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Beem View Post
    We lose this game if we hadn't been up 25 or if we played a team with more than 2 players.
    If Amile doesn't get hurt Duke wins by 25+. Amile anchors the D and when he went out it was up to Giles or Tatum and they are not ready for that responsibility yet.

poor second half--I thought, do to lack of focus-let up with big lead-
    loss of aggressiveness hurt on both ends=will get better and learn from this

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Didn't watch the collapse because I was out. But Duke was firing on most cylinders even after Amile went out. From what I've gathered it seems Duke missed several open looks during BC's run and they couldn't make a stop which could be attributed to Amile being out.

Biggest concern from this game is obviously Amile's health. FSU is giving the Hokies the business today and I'm sure they will be amped to play Duke in Tallahassee. Rest up fellas cause Tuesday is going to be tough.
    FSU has a very favorable schedule when they play ranked teams. Lots of them being played in Tallahassee. Must be nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Kjeffrey View Post
    FSU has a very favorable schedule when they play ranked teams. Lots of them being played in Tallahassee. Must be nice!
    Was thinking that as I posted. Because of that, if Duke falters, FSU could get the 1 seed in the ACC tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Disappointing finish, but they held on and hit the FTs to close out a double digit win.

Losing Amile was the key; you could see it at the end of the first half, too.

The layup drill was a result of poor pick and roll and lack of help defense - both of those have to do with communication. Not coincidentally, Amile is the man in communicator out there. Having to play two freshmen exposed that, despite the bigs looking decent otherwise.

Experience and playing time will help improve the situation. Hopefully, it won't happen because Amile is out, but because everyone is playing.
    Just don't understand why Capel didn't use timeouts to refocus the team. Also, why no Chase? Not even one opportunity?

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Giles starting to show his skills and if fully healthy think he'll be a beast rest of year. Bolden seems so far behind; don't think he'll have much impact.
    I have hopes for Bolden, as he seems to understand the need to get back on D. However, with 4 fouls in 7 minutes of play, he's still adjusting to this level of play. I'd prefer to see him use the arm bar less, but he seems to rely on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kjeffrey View Post
    Just don't understand why Capel didn't use timeouts to refocus the team. Also, why no Chase? Not even one opportunity?
    Chase was out injured in the last game. I would assume he was not fully ready to return, or he probably would have.

Is the post-game press conference broadcast online? Interested to hear Capel's comments...especially re: Amile.

This was such a strange game. After the first half, I was ready to comment on how amazing our defense was at forcing turnovers, something we don't really do all that much of. It even seemed like we were not picking up BC on defense quite as far out as usual, which allowed our length to really show. I felt like this was true even after Amile went out of the game. If it weren't for their scores after a few uncharacteristic turnovers from us on offense, we probably would have been up 30 at the half.

In the second half, BC took way better care of the ball and used backdoor cuts and dribble penetration to slice through our half court defense and continued taking advantage of a few uncharacteristic turnovers to get a few transition buckets, too. As foul trouble on our bigs mounted, we got worse and worse. Neither Harry nor Marques have ever tried to play an ACC game while in foul trouble, and with Amile out, our defensive rotations looked awful.

Meanwhile, our offense sputtered as Luke's really bad day on offense kept him off the floor for stretches of play and the rest of the guys had trouble hitting some really good looks.

At the end of the day, the only thing I'm really concerned about is Amile's foot. No, it wasnt pretty in the second half, but better Harry and Marques get a little taste of foul trouble as fatigue in a game we led by 25 than on the road against a top team. Grayson has looked really good running the offense. Jayson is evolving on offense, even if he still doesn't get spacing or ball movement right every time. And Harry looked great for about half the minutes he played. Hopefully, as he rounds into game shape, he can start extending the total number of minutes he is capable of high level play. If indeed Amile is out for any length of time and Chase isn't ready to go, we will need Harry to be ready to handle serious minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Coballs View Post
    Is the post-game press conference broadcast online? Interested to hear Capel's comments...especially re: Amile.
    Duke Chronicle reporting from the postgame that it is indeed a foot injury for Amile, but no timetable for his return has been disclosed.

"He hurt his foot. We don’t know the extent of it yet," associate head coach Jeff Capel said after the game, who added that Jefferson will undergo tests in the coming days. "We’ll hopefully find out a little bit later."