Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 161 to 169 of 169
  1. #161
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I second and third this. I'll also add in that one of your probes should be leading to an oven temp with stand so you can keep an eye on the temperature away from your grill's thermometer. Those things are not accurate and can mean 20-50 degrees difference sometimes, making it even less accurate to go by time alone.
    Agreed. I use a Weber iGrill that pairs with an app on my phone. It has room for up to four probes. I always put one at the grill surface, and at least one in the meat.

    Dome thermometers are very inaccurate. If I have a big piece of meat in the egg, I will sometimes drop another thermometer probe into the daisy wheel hole up top to see if there is a marked difference between the heat at the grill surface and the upper part of the chamber. But ultimately, the meat temperature guides most of my decisions.
    "We're only tourists in this life
    Only tourists but the view is nice"

    -- David Byrne

  2. #162
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Agreed. I use a Weber iGrill that pairs with an app on my phone. It has room for up to four probes. I always put one at the grill surface, and at least one in the meat.

    Dome thermometers are very inaccurate. If I have a big piece of meat in the egg, I will sometimes drop another thermometer probe into the daisy wheel hole up top to see if there is a marked difference between the heat at the grill surface and the upper part of the chamber. But ultimately, the meat temperature guides most of my decisions.
    This is all good advice/info. I too use the iGrill. Can't go wrong with cooking by temp with a probe in the right place. I also use more than one oven probe on large pieces of meat like pork shoulders or brisket. This doesn't affect how long you cook, you still pull it at your desired temp. The extra oven probes just help you know whether or not your cooking at the desired internal temperature if you're trying to cook something low and slow at 220* for example.

  3. #163
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Ok, which one of you knuckleheads is responsible for this one:

    https://www.foxnews.com/us/roasted-p...tlanta-airport

    Where'd you expect me to put this post, in the Duke vs Kentucky thread?

    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  4. #164
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

    Turkey2019.jpg

    Turkey2019a.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  5. #165
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

    Turkey2019.jpg

    Turkey2019a.jpg
    What'd ya do to it?

  6. #166
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    What'd ya do to it?
    Brined for 24 hours then smoked in pecan. While cooking, it was stuffed with apple, lemon and onion.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  7. #167
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Brined for 24 hours then smoked in pecan. While cooking, it was stuffed with apple, lemon and onion.
    Do you brine/inject all your meats, or just turkey? I never do but I’m probably just justifying my lazy nature by not doing it.
    "We're only tourists in this life
    Only tourists but the view is nice"

    -- David Byrne

  8. #168
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Do you brine/inject all your meats, or just turkey? I never do but Iím probably just justifying my lazy nature by not doing it.
    I've never brined anything but birds. I usually inject pork if it is for a competition, but often only rub if it is for home. Lazy nature is infectious.
    That being said...per the turkey, I will never cook one again without brining. It's that worth it.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  9. #169
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I've never brined anything but birds. I usually inject pork if it is for a competition, but often only rub if it is for home. Lazy nature is infectious.
    That being said...per the turkey, I will never cook one again without brining. It's that worth it.
    Thanks!
    "We're only tourists in this life
    Only tourists but the view is nice"

    -- David Byrne

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •