Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I second and third this. I'll also add in that one of your probes should be leading to an oven temp with stand so you can keep an eye on the temperature away from your grill's thermometer. Those things are not accurate and can mean 20-50 degrees difference sometimes, making it even less accurate to go by time alone.
    Agreed. I use a Weber iGrill that pairs with an app on my phone. It has room for up to four probes. I always put one at the grill surface, and at least one in the meat.

Dome thermometers are very inaccurate. If I have a big piece of meat in the egg, I will sometimes drop another thermometer probe into the daisy wheel hole up top to see if there is a marked difference between the heat at the grill surface and the upper part of the chamber. But ultimately, the meat temperature guides most of my decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Agreed. I use a Weber iGrill that pairs with an app on my phone. It has room for up to four probes. I always put one at the grill surface, and at least one in the meat.

Dome thermometers are very inaccurate. If I have a big piece of meat in the egg, I will sometimes drop another thermometer probe into the daisy wheel hole up top to see if there is a marked difference between the heat at the grill surface and the upper part of the chamber. But ultimately, the meat temperature guides most of my decisions.
    This is all good advice/info. I too use the iGrill. Can't go wrong with cooking by temp with a probe in the right place. I also use more than one oven probe on large pieces of meat like pork shoulders or brisket. This doesn't affect how long you cook, you still pull it at your desired temp. The extra oven probes just help you know whether or not your cooking at the desired internal temperature if you're trying to cook something low and slow at 220* for example.

Ok, which one of you knuckleheads is responsible for this one:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/roasted-p...tlanta-airport

Where'd you expect me to put this post, in the Duke vs Kentucky thread?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Turkey2019.jpg

Turkey2019a.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Turkey2019.jpg

Turkey2019a.jpg
    What'd ya do to it?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    What'd ya do to it?
    Brined for 24 hours then smoked in pecan. While cooking, it was stuffed with apple, lemon and onion.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Brined for 24 hours then smoked in pecan. While cooking, it was stuffed with apple, lemon and onion.
    Do you brine/inject all your meats, or just turkey? I never do but I’m probably just justifying my lazy nature by not doing it.

Do you brine/inject all your meats, or just turkey? I never do but I’m probably just justifying my lazy nature by not doing it.
    I've never brined anything but birds. I usually inject pork if it is for a competition, but often only rub if it is for home. Lazy nature is infectious.
    That being said...per the turkey, I will never cook one again without brining. It's that worth it.

I've never brined anything but birds. I usually inject pork if it is for a competition, but often only rub if it is for home. Lazy nature is infectious.
    That being said...per the turkey, I will never cook one again without brining. It's that worth it.
    Thanks!

Shelter in place plan: I ordered two American Wagyu packer cuts and they should be delivered today. Not because I am good enough to do them justice — I am not — but I figured if I’m stuck at the house I might as well go big. And trying to find any meat besides ground turkey is kinda tough last time I ventured to the store. Plus, I smoked two Boston butts a few weeks ago and SonPK has pulled all of it out of the freezer and eaten it.

I used to turn my nose up at brisket because “barbecue is pork.” And that is true. BBQ is always pork. But brisket is it’s own magical thing too. I’ve become a big fan.

Shelter in place plan: I ordered two American Wagyu packer cuts and they should be delivered today. Not because I am good enough to do them justice — I am not — but I figured if I’m stuck at the house I might as well go big. And trying to find any meat besides ground turkey is kinda tough last time I ventured to the store. Plus, I smoked two Boston butts a few weeks ago and SonPK has pulled all of it out of the freezer and eaten it.

I used to turn my nose up at brisket because “barbecue is pork.” And that is true. BBQ is always pork. But brisket is it’s own magical thing too. I’ve become a big fan.
    I'm an Eastern NC bbq fanatic, but have been wanting to drum up enough courage to try a brisket. I'm scared of it because my family has only had brisket from Adam's roadside bbq in Goldsboro which is really hard to compete with. I'll probably give it a go during this shelter in place.

I'm an Eastern NC bbq fanatic, but have been wanting to drum up enough courage to try a brisket. I'm scared of it because my family has only had brisket from Adam's roadside bbq in Goldsboro which is really hard to compete with. I'll probably give it a go during this shelter in place.
    I am a convert.

You want a whole packer cut and not just the brisket flat they sell in the grocery stores if your smoker will hold it (about 12-20 pounds before trimming). I can send you some smoking notes but there are some good videos on YouTube too about trimming, temps, wrapping, etc.

I feel compelled to note that we have tested out Katz's Delicatessen pastrami delivery, and it works great, despite current circumstances...not cheap, but world class pastrami delivered to your door...get three pounds and delivery is free...(also get a half loaf of their rye bread, it's basically full loaf size)...this is taking the place of going out to eat, gotta spend $$$ on good food somehow...

I am a convert.

You want a whole packer cut and not just the brisket flat they sell in the grocery stores if your smoker will hold it (about 12-20 pounds before trimming). I can send you some smoking notes but there are some good videos on YouTube too about trimming, temps, wrapping, etc.
    I don't think there needs to be any competition between the two...two different but extremely delicious meats.

How did this get split off from the primary BBQ thread on the main board?

Move to Texas. Beef BBQ supreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Move to Texas. Beef BBQ supreme.
    Exactly, and if you are lucky, the beef comes right to you...

IMG_2696.jpg

I ordered two American Wagyu packer cuts and they should be delivered today.
    I did one of these last Saturday, ate a bunch and made the rest into chili. It came out a lot better than the first one I did, just perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by GDT View Post
    I did one of these last Saturday, ate a bunch and made the rest into chili. It came out a lot better than the first one I did, just perfect.
    Nice!

are you able to find them in stores where you are, or do you have to get them shipped? I can get CABs here but for Wagyu need to order (usually Huntspoint or Snake River Farms). Can get choice packer cuts at the stores usually but everyone is out here.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but pork may be getting scarce soon.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news but pork may be getting scarce soon.
    Good thing I keep a deep freezer stocked. Time to bust out some deer or bear for a few meals.