Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I learned a lot from watching Alton Brown for years. His technical explanations made sense to me. And I have rarely found his recipes and guidance to be off. The brining concept that I picked up was from him and my chicken and turkey smoking efforts have turned out far better since I adopted the approach.
    Alton Brown's method of skillet cooked steak is flawless.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I learned a lot from watching Alton Brown for years. His technical explanations made sense to me. And I have rarely found his recipes and guidance to be off. The brining concept that I picked up was from him and my chicken and turkey smoking efforts have turned out far better since I adopted the approach.
    I love Alton Brown!

I also love Kenji Lopez-Alt, of SeriousEats.com and his book, The Food Lab. He has an interesting scientific study on turkey brining. Basically, the salt does do wonderful things to the meat, but brining can dilute the flavor. He says to dry brine with salt. Any flavors that you put in, though, won't penetrate the meat as the molecules are too large (salt is much smaller). It's a fascinating read.

I haven't had a chance to dry brine a bird since reading this, but it's on my to-do list.

I did, however, sous vide a turkey breast "tenderloin" liberally covered with a sodium-free rub (usually I make my own, but I had been gifted Penzey's Galena Street rub, and it's delicious). Four hours later, I served up an incredibly moist, tender, and delicious turkey breast to my daughter and son-in-law. It was unanimous that we're doing a sous-vide turkey breast for the next major holiday. (That is, until I break out the smoker and figure out something there!). Seriously, though, a sous vide turkey breast is outstanding.

Also note that brining can add from 250-400mg more sodium for a 4oz portion (who eats only 4oz?!). If you're on a low sodium diet (as many are in my particular age group), brining has some negative consequences. It means eating really clean for sides and the other meals of the day!

Has anyone here tried a turbo pork butt? I'm going to attempt one today on my BGE. The suggestions I've seen include:

- Temp. Have seen suggestions between 300-375
    - Wrap in foil at 160 or not
    - Avoid sugar in rub so the bark doesn't get too dark
    - Wrap and rest in cooler or oven for 1-2 hours after cooking
    - Avoid butts larger than 8-9 lb (or don't)
    - Use wood chunks or not (I have some apple and some pecan)

Need to decide exactly how I'm going to do this!

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Has anyone here tried a turbo pork butt? I'm going to attempt one today on my BGE. The suggestions I've seen include:

- Temp. Have seen suggestions between 300-375
    - Wrap in foil at 160 or not
    - Avoid sugar in rub so the bark doesn't get too dark
    - Wrap and rest in cooler or oven for 1-2 hours after cooking
    - Avoid butts larger than 8-9 lb (or don't)
    - Use wood chunks or not (I have some apple and some pecan)

Need to decide exactly how I'm going to do this!
    I do not have BGE experience, but I would agree with the foil wrapping at 160, no sugar, and cooler recommendations.

Meat size is just going to be related to time it takes. Depending on how you plan to fuel it, that would affect what you want to do.

I like hickory and/or oak for pork butts.

I like the Apple. I use a mix on ribs.my smoker is shut down till I get a handle on my diet.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    I do not have BGE experience, but I would agree with the foil wrapping at 160, no sugar, and cooler recommendations.

Meat size is just going to be related to time it takes. Depending on how you plan to fuel it, that would affect what you want to do.

I like hickory and/or oak for pork butts.
    Thanks -- here's how we did it:

- 350 for about 5.5 hours. Took it off at 203 internal temp
    - Did not wrap
    - Fogo lump
    - Didn't add any wood chunks this time
    - No sugar rub (onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper, dry mustard)

It was really very good for a first effort. Next time, I would check the temp in more spots before taking it off. I feel like there were a couple of sections near the middle that weren't quite as melty/pullable as I'd like. May try wrapping next time as well. If I can get results this good with a turbo, not likely i'm going to do a low and slow!

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Thanks -- here's how we did it:

- 350 for about 5.5 hours. Took it off at 203 internal temp
    - Did not wrap
    - Fogo lump
    - Didn't add any wood chunks this time
    - No sugar rub (onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper, dry mustard)

It was really very good for a first effort. Next time, I would check the temp in more spots before taking it off. I feel like there were a couple of sections near the middle that weren't quite as melty/pullable as I'd like. May try wrapping next time as well. If I can get results this good with a turbo, not likely i'm going to do a low and slow!
    With higher heat, would definitely wrap sometime at 160-165. Pit Master told me he wraps more on the basis of color than exact internal temp; when the bark looks good around that range, wrap.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post

Annual chowder fest is next month. Expanded to a two day event, we like to think partly because of the crowd we have been drawing. We'll be on the first day. We have won the people's choice 4 years in a row. Going for #5. Planning on making 60 gallons of chowder. 2 hours to cook it, then 2 hours to serve it with 2 oz. ladles. Have to serve more than 1500 people to empty the pot. There are never any leftovers. http://beachboardwalk.com/Clam-Chowder-Cook-Off https://www.facebook.com/4.Men.and.a.Clam/
    BTW - For anyone that is located in the SF bay area, chowder fest is this Saturday. We did win the People's Choice and Most Tasted categories last year. Going for 6 in a row on the People's Choice this week.

In case you are interested to see what this event is about, check out this video someone just sent me last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FclJ-P4RK_I

You can see us at 4:46, 7:06, and 8:20. Guys in the orange fishing gear.

Just grilled a flank steak that Mrs.PK put into a marinade mid-morning. One mesquite chunk, and whatever remnants were still in there from last (pecan or apple).

Damn, we make a good pair. Especially her.

just did some chicken wings .soaked in Frank's red hot and Montreal steak seasoning.very good 😁perfect flavor.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    If anyone is around Wake Forest next weekend, we'll be cooking in a competition hosted by White Street Brewing. (Thankfully we'll have out TV dish set up to catch the games.)

https://www.whitestreetbrewing.com/b...e#contest-info
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    If anyone is around Wake Forest next weekend, we'll be cooking in a competition hosted by White Street Brewing. (Thankfully we'll have out TV dish set up to catch the games.)

We will definitely look at our schedule and come bother you and TNTDevil if we're in town. (Free samples, correct? )

Hey, wait a minute. Does TNTDevil get home court advantage with this contest, meaning he'll get "all the calls" from the judges?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    We will definitely look at our schedule and come bother you and TNTDevil if we're in town. (Free samples, correct? )

Hey, wait a minute. Does TNTDevil get home court advantage with this contest, meaning he'll get "all the calls" from the judges?
    Well, since he has renamed it "The Your S#*t Sucks and Ain't Gonna Win A Damn Thing BBQ competition", I don't think he is very optimistic about our chances.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Well, since he has renamed it "The Your S#*t Sucks and Ain't Gonna Win A Damn Thing BBQ competition", I don't think he is very optimistic about our chances.
    Tweet! Unsportsmanlike conduct. Double technical fouls have been called and the participant will be removed from the competition and assigned to the White Street Brewery light beer tent.

Well bummer. While we met the contest deadline, the health department had imposed a deadline of their own, which was last week, so we won't be in Wake Forest. However, there is another in Youngsville the same weekend that we may see if we can still enter.

Well bummer. While we met the contest deadline, the health department had imposed a deadline of their own, which was last week, so we won't be in Wake Forest. However, there is another in Youngsville the same weekend that we may see if we can still enter.
    We'll be OOT next weekend so you're safe from harassment by the devildeacs.

First beef smoke of the year. Gorgeous day here, sitting on back porch with some killer Cab. Damn, the roast smells good.

I love this time of year!

46C08192-44C2-436A-96A8-2A40430B23E2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    First beef smoke of the year. Gorgeous day here, sitting on back porch with some killer Cab. Damn, the roast smells good.

I love this time of year!

46C08192-44C2-436A-96A8-2A40430B23E2.jpg
    i'll be grilling chicken in the snow today. I am jealous (but not of your summers).

Did smoked skinless boneless chicken breast.with Apple wood .then topped it with a mango salsa .with grilled squash and peppers .tasted good.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Did smoked skinless boneless chicken breast.with Apple wood .then topped it with a mango salsa .with grilled squash and peppers .tasted good.
    There's gotta beer some Ymm, Beer you could pair with that.