Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    You could try finding a grate with a hinged gate; I've seen it used on various shows for adding wood chips. Hope to see you at a tailgate before too long.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    You could try finding a grate with a hinged gate; I've seen it used on various shows for adding wood chips. Hope to see you at a tailgate before too long.
    at times I've used a long, sturdy pronged fork to lift the grate just enough to slide in more chips...

Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    That's actually what I started with. However, it was difficult to hang sausage in it, and I couldn't quite keep it cool enough for knockwurst. That's when I got the charcoal smoker and found out I really can't control a charcoal fire.

Does your method involve removing a grate? That's another detail that I had issues with, mostly in wanting to use the grate to hold food, but then needing to move it while hot to add more wood chips.
    With my BGE, when I smoke at low temp (250-275) it will easily burn for 6 hours or more with real wood charcoal and no need to add any extra along the way to maintain temp. After 2-3 hours, your meat is not going to absorb any more smoke. But it is important of course to maintain the steady low temp for actual cooking purposes. That's what's so nice about the BGE. It's pretty easy to control. And there is even an electric fan gizmo with a thermostat you can buy (I don't use it) that automatically regulate airflow to maintain a steady temp over long time periods.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Recently got a fancy new 8" curved boning knife and 12" brisket carving knife. You would not believe the difference it made in trimming and serving brisket. Best money I have spent in some time.

Now trying to weigh whether wagyu brisket worth the cost over a CAB (Certified Angus Brisket). Finding it hard to say yes. I know competition folks who do it, but for my purposes I cannot believe it would be worth the extra cost.

A good chef can make a average cut wonderful. Just saying.

I smoked a pork belly the otherday.then i put a sheepshead (fish) between it and the drip pan.
    Wasnt to bad .it needed a better rub on the fish.i will retry it.
    Im on a diet .so im trying to find new ways to enjoy fish.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Im on a diet .so im trying to find new ways to enjoy fish.
    Either (i) wrap it in bacon or (ii) deep fry it.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Salmon that I've made recently:, nice big piece of salmon, sprinkle with salt, pepper, old bay, and a few drops of lime juice, skin side down on foil. Baked in oven. Covered loosely with foil on top, 400 for 15-20 minutes, then took it out and basted with sweet-and-sour sauce, put it back in and broiled on high for 1 minute.
    Worth a try, even if you adjust the method for the grill.

Anybody here made their own country ham? Can't get it here in California.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Start with LOTS of salt! 😂😋😎

Finally bit the bullet

and bought a pellet smoker. Used a Kamado Kooker for a few years and got tired of fighting with the temperature. I wasn't sure I'd like it but it's pretty convenient. It's up to smoking heat in about 5-6 minutes which really gets me using it more. I tend to use it to smoke at low temps, then finish up at high to crisp (chicken, rack of lamb, pork tenderloin) almost like a reverse sear. Plus the more traditional l&s fare. Smoked olive oil which I've used to make a bunch of stuff, particularly hummus.

Anticipating a very tasty almost four and a half pound pork butt that just came off the grill after about 7 hours of low and slow.
    Getting may gas grill around 225 is a challenge when windy, fought to keep it under 250 and still going.

Tried a new rub tonight. Still store bought- Rib rack dry rub.

Anyone have thoughts on the bear claw shredders?
    Don't want to overthink a <$15 purchase, just wondering if anyone had a favored brand that works well.

Happy Labor Day all!

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Anticipating a very tasty almost four and a half pound pork butt that just came off the grill after about 7 hours of low and slow.
    Getting may gas grill around 225 is a challenge when windy, fought to keep it under 250 and still going.

Don't want to overthink a <$15 purchase, just wondering if anyone had a favored brand that works well.

Happy Labor Day all!
    Lemme know how they work!

Smoked some tri tips, pretty tasty. Love three day weekends!

Sadly my wife does she borrowed my smoker.ill get her recipe and post it.i sat dumfounded that she knew how to use it.
    The ham was already cooked she just smoked it.

The process is similar to prosciutto. A friend of mine sent me this when I asked about how he does his own from a pork shoulder, probably the picnic cut, not the boston butt. He lives not too far from you in Pittsburg.

Make sure leg vein thouroghly bled and bone is exposed. 6 cloves garlic and 1/4 cup gr black pepper blend with tablespoon olive oil. Rub over shoulder. Then put in box layer kosher salt, the leg, and cover with salt. Store in fridge for 32 days turning occasionally. Press with two bricks. At end of days, clean off salt and press at room temp for two days. Then wash off in water/vinegar blend. Wrap in cheesecloth and hang for six to 24 months.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post

Happy Labor Day all!
    my experience has been that if you do the pork butt just right (and it sounds like you did) all kinds of basic kitchen tools will shred the meat nicely, e.g. large service forks...

ordinarily I would cook beef back ribs on the egg, and was planning on doing so yesterday. However, we got an invitation Sunday for dinner Monday evening, so never actually applied heat. As we these were bought, frozen, and defrosted, I don't want to refreeze them. Since my wife has no interest in using the egg, I was going to try cooking these guys in the slow cooker. Anyone ever done bbq in a crockpot? I was thinking of rubbing them, searing them off in a hot pan, then letting them go for 8 hours on the low setting in a mixture of Italian dressing, bbq sauce, and a beef stock cube. Right before we are ready to eat I was going to crank the gas grill and sear them off again (mainly to get a little char on the bbq sauce).
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    ordinarily I would cook beef back ribs on the egg, and was planning on doing so yesterday. However, we got an invitation Sunday for dinner Monday evening, so never actually applied heat. As we these were bought, frozen, and defrosted, I don't want to refreeze them. Since my wife has no interest in using the egg, I was going to try cooking these guys in the slow cooker. Anyone ever done bbq in a crockpot? I was thinking of rubbing them, searing them off in a hot pan, then letting them go for 8 hours on the low setting in a mixture of Italian dressing, bbq sauce, and a beef stock cube. Right before we are ready to eat I was going to crank the gas grill and sear them off again (mainly to get a little char on the bbq sauce).
    took me a few years, but I came up with a great crockpot recipe for pulled pork. We also do crockpot ribs. I would caution you that it sounds like you're possibly going to be using WAY too much liquid...generally these meats have quite a bit of liquid in them, and if you add more than a few ounces of liquid you're apt to be dealing with boiled ribs...I'd suggest a very tasty rub, and minimal liquid of your choice...anywhere from none to 4 oz tops. (I'd choose two ounces tops).
    Let 'em cook all day on low...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    my experience has been that if you do the pork butt just right (and it sounds like you did) all kinds of basic kitchen tools will shred the meat nicely, e.g. large service forks...
    I looked up the bear claws on youtube and laughed. My bbq is falling apart as I lift it from the ...

took me a few years, but I came up with a great crockpot recipe for pulled pork ...
    ... crockpot. Boston butt ... dry rub all over ... 3.5 hours on high; 3.5 hours on low in crockpot ... falls apart and waaaay better than any restaurant Q (often billed as "Carolina" - hah!) I can get where I live (not Carolina) ... liven it up just a bit with some sauce (lil' ketchup, mostly vinegar, black pepper, salt, brown sugar). It gets rave reviews. People usually make (good) noises as they eat it. Usually make it for the first CFB game of the year (didn't this year).

I used just plain dinner forks, and it worked ok.
    The pork was pretty tender and easy to shred, it was just a bit awkward.

I bought the meat claws (can't recall which brand) - not sure when I will put another butt on the grill to test drive them. If they work, great. If not, not a huge investment.

I've wondered about the purpose of those bear claw things. A properly cooked butt will separate itself pretty easily. I'm like fuse and just use dinner forks.

And yes, I've done butts in a slow cooker. It's delicious, but it doesn't have the smokey flavor like real 'cue. I've tried liquid smoke, but it's not the same as a smoker. To me, 'cue is done with real smoke outdoors. Pulled pork, which is similar to 'cue, is NOT 'cue, but it IS delicious and is close enough when it's too inclement or inconvenient to be outside tending the smoker/cooker. My next step is to try it in the electronic pressure cooker (Instant Pot). I'm guessing that it's similar to crock pot pulled pork, but still different enough to be a different taste/texture, but delicious all the same.