Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I did some consulting for a friend's business, and convinced them to make me a business card with my title as "consigliere." ...
    I had a friend who worked for a smaller company where folks did lots of roles, and he always said he would do "anyhing but sales" (the co. had to do sales, too) -- eventually that was put on his card: "Anything but sales".

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I'm thinking about getting an egg soon, or a Kamodo Joe's. Haven't decided yet. Co-worker has the K Joe and swears by it, but so do egg owners.

I currently have an off-set barrel smoker, but it's a cheap one and very easy to screw up the cook. My only fear of getting a good smoker is that it'll actually become easy and I can spend my time applying DevilDeacs beer pairing suggestions rather than cussing the thermometer on the smoker. I'm also worried that my wife will catch on that my new smoker doesn't require half the attention my old one did. She tends to find chores for idle hands and minds.
    Time well spent.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    So, you've been a member of DBR for almost 6 years now and have posted over 400 times and didn't know what the famous Duke vs Kentucky thread is all about? Shame,. shame.

Your penalty for that oversight is for you to go back and read all previous posts on the Duke vs Kentucky thread before you will be allowed to mention BBQ on DBR again. In addition, you will be required to contact devildeac for advice on the proper beer pairings for each of the different styles of BBQ that you will be reviewing because you will be tested by representatives from each BBQ region that have posted on the thread after your task is complete. Failure to do so satisfactorily will result in you having to endure a constant slathering of a myriad of BBQ sauces while being told "no BBQ for you!" by the representatives of each region. (The exception being the Texas region, as Texas BBQ don't need no stinkin' sauce!)

(By the way, had some wonderful BBQ this evening over at Buxton Hall. Yummmmmm.)

ricks
    Guilty as charged.
    I actually went and started looking through that thread.
    Page 9.a lot of locations so far.
    Didnt see speedys listed.i did see my friends familys bbq place mccabes.he doesnt do q.he does however sell the best deal on fireworks in charleston s.c.350 dollars you have to bring a truck or large suv to haul them.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Guilty as charged.
    Didnt see speedys listed.i did see my friends familys bbq place mccabes.he doesnt do q.he does however sell the best deal on fireworks in charleston s.c.350 dollars you have to bring a truck or large suv to haul them.
    The NC Our State magazine has a BBQ location app for the entire state that probably has almost every BBQ location listed.

ricks

Guilty as charged.
    Here's Speedy's.
    http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV...a0vW6t.90OVtA-

I enjoy making pulled pork, ribs, and chicken. I just thought it may be nice to have a thread we can share advice, maybe a secret sauce or two as well.
    Of course, you can't beat DBR for the level of discourse, but there's a whole lot of discussion on this over at the smoking meat forums. I haven't done too much over there for a while, but here's an old post that should get you salivating...

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/7...tty-tries-8-17

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Of course, you can't beat DBR for the level of discourse, but there's a whole lot of discussion on this over at the smoking meat forums. I haven't done too much over there for a while, but here's an old post that should get you salivating...

OMG! Drumming up lots of business for devildeac I see. Count me in.😯 That stuff looks unbelievable!

Please come visit Asheville and bring along your smoker.

ricks

BigWayne, you still winning competitions?

-jk

Great site.

Anybody watch "BBQ Pitmasters?"

I have often and Tuffy Stone, one of the usual 3 judges, has 4 restaurants open here in Richmond. Absolutely delicious BBQ and beef brisket. Good sides as well.

Next time y'all visit plan to visit one of his establishments.

Surprised CBB&B hasn't chimed in-they're excellent as well!!

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    BigWayne, you still winning competitions?

-jk
    Went to the World Food Championships in November in Alabama but didn't do that great. We were the only guys with day jobs there though. The rest of the competition were professional chefs, including a number of lesser known TV chefs.

Annual chowder fest is next month. Expanded to a two day event, we like to think partly because of the crowd we have been drawing. We'll be on the first day. We have won the people's choice 4 years in a row. Going for #5. Planning on making 60 gallons of chowder. 2 hours to cook it, then 2 hours to serve it with 2 oz. ladles. Have to serve more than 1500 people to empty the pot. There are never any leftovers. http://beachboardwalk.com/Clam-Chowder-Cook-Off https://www.facebook.com/4.Men.and.a.Clam/

... including a number of lesser known TV chefs ...
    Glad you didn't use the label mid-major, which I've never liked. There's some good cooking on the high cable channels. Imagine what those guys could do if they had Le Creuset.

Not sure the BGE folks mind I crashed the BGE thread.
    Found the other thread.

Second pork butt on the smoker today. Hoping for similar results to the first one, which received raves.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Not sure the BGE folks mind I crashed the BGE thread.
    Found the other thread.

Second pork butt on the smoker today. Hoping for similar results to the first one, which received raves.
    Second effort not as good as the first.
    More to learn.

Still tasty.

I "upgraded" my smoker from a charcoal to a propane unit. Yeah, I know, the charcoal is supposed to be the best, but I'm just not good at keeping charcoal at a reasonably constant temperature. Propane is substantially easier for me, so it means I'll use it more. And I have used it A LOT.

I've cured and smoked a couple of beef briskets into pastrami -- OUTSTANDING. I tried brining chicken thighs in a lemon and rosemary brine -- DELICIOUS. I've smoked some almonds -- mmmmm. And a I've turned a large pork belly into two flavors of bacon. The simple bacon recipe redefined bacon for me. The maple bacon elevated it to even another level. There's *nothing* like homemade pastrami and bacon. Absolute heaven. (And yes, I have DevilDeac's number, as I may need his services soon.)

Recipes are for pastrami and bacon are prevalent on the Interwebs, so I won't repeat here. However, a number of them note that pink salt (the curing salt that is colored a neon pink, not the popular Himalayan table salt) is optional. It's not. First, you won't get the right color for the pastrami/bacon. Second, it won't taste right, tasting more like beef/pork instead of pastrami/bacon. Third, and perhaps most importantly, there's a huge risk of botulism. Just get the pink salt (available at Whole Foods or Amazon, among other places). And the nitrates/nitrites in a serving of cured meat are less than that of a single celery stick, so don't worry about it. If you're going to the effort of spending a week curing these meats then smoking them, you want it to look and taste right, and you don't want it to make you and your friends and family really sick.

I strongly encourage anyone who likes to smoke meats to try pastrami and/or bacon. You won't regret it.

And fuse has me wanting to try a butt soon. Sounds delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    I "upgraded" my smoker from a charcoal to a propane unit. Yeah, I know, the charcoal is supposed to be the best, but I'm just not good at keeping charcoal at a reasonably constant temperature. Propane is substantially easier for me, so it means I'll use it more. And I have used it A LOT.

I've cured and smoked a couple of beef briskets into pastrami -- OUTSTANDING. I tried brining chicken thighs in a lemon and rosemary brine -- DELICIOUS. I've smoked some almonds -- mmmmm. And a I've turned a large pork belly into two flavors of bacon. The simple bacon recipe redefined bacon for me. The maple bacon elevated it to even another level. There's *nothing* like homemade pastrami and bacon. Absolute heaven. (And yes, I have DevilDeac's number, as I may need his services soon.)

Recipes are for pastrami and bacon are prevalent on the Interwebs, so I won't repeat here. However, a number of them note that pink salt (the curing salt that is colored a neon pink, not the popular Himalayan table salt) is optional. It's not. First, you won't get the right color for the pastrami/bacon. Second, it won't taste right, tasting more like beef/pork instead of pastrami/bacon. Third, and perhaps most importantly, there's a huge risk of botulism. Just get the pink salt (available at Whole Foods or Amazon, among other places). And the nitrates/nitrites in a serving of cured meat are less than that of a single celery stick, so don't worry about it. If you're going to the effort of spending a week curing these meats then smoking them, you want it to look and taste right, and you don't want it to make you and your friends and family really sick.

I strongly encourage anyone who likes to smoke meats to try pastrami and/or bacon. You won't regret it.

And fuse has me wanting to try a butt soon. Sounds delicious.
    I'm still working. And have openings this week or next in my office schedule.

Oh, do you mean as a patient or as a beer consultant for what beverage to pair with your pastrami and/or bacon? Or both? I'll mention nothing about your butt.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I have developed a proprietary (but often shared) technique for smoking stuff on my standard three burner Weber Grill (Silver B model, 18 years old and going strong)...I find it much easier to
    use than the smoker I purchased some years ago...Most typical use is smoking three chickens at a time (roughly 5 lbs apiece)...marvelous to tend that while sipping various beverages, it essentially requires
    zero work which happens to be something I excel at.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I'm still working. And have openings this week or next in my office schedule.

Oh, do you mean as a patient or as a beer consultant for what beverage to pair with your pastrami and/or bacon? Or both? I'll mention nothing about your butt.
    Patient, beer consultant, taste tester of smoked meats. And you can mention anything about my butt -- as long as it's the smoked, pork one. (The other is expanding with consumption of said smoked meats. We'll not mention that one.)

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I have developed a proprietary (but often shared) technique for smoking stuff on my standard three burner Weber Grill (Silver B model, 18 years old and going strong)...I find it much easier to
    use than the smoker I purchased some years ago...Most typical use is smoking three chickens at a time (roughly 5 lbs apiece)...marvelous to tend that while sipping various beverages, it essentially requires
    zero work which happens to be something I excel at.
    That's actually what I started with. However, it was difficult to hang sausage in it, and I couldn't quite keep it cool enough for knockwurst. That's when I got the charcoal smoker and found out I really can't control a charcoal fire.

Does your method involve removing a grate? That's another detail that I had issues with, mostly in wanting to use the grate to hold food, but then needing to move it while hot to add more wood chips.

Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    That's actually what I started with. However, it was difficult to hang sausage in it, and I couldn't quite keep it cool enough for knockwurst. That's when I got the charcoal smoker and found out I really can't control a charcoal fire.

Does your method involve removing a grate? That's another detail that I had issues with, mostly in wanting to use the grate to hold food, but then needing to move it while hot to add more wood chips.
    ah yes, hanging would be an issue. I don't have to remove a grate, but I only smoke for about 3-3.5 hrs or so...maybe 4. I could remove a grate if i had to. I must say, some of the nice electric smokers seem pretty easy to use, but I
    just don't need one at this point...

I use a goodly amount of wood chips so they don't need replenishing...