Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Kept them in the smoker uncovered the whole time.

Clearly there are folks that do an awesome job at smoking ribs. I’m a bit puzzled given the difference in meat on the thin and thick ends what skills those folks have acquired.
    Have you tried just foiling the thin end a few hours in?
    When i trim my shoulders i save tbe fat.
    I put it on top of thin meats i smoke .

I may try it on thr small end instead of foiling.

If you have a harris teeter .smithfield pork shoulders are on sale . 5 or 6 dollar shoulders are great for experimental smoking .

Yep, I thought this thread still existed.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I have a 10 lb pork shoulder cooking on my Brinkmann charcoal grill. The plan is six hours of smoke today then finish it up tomorrow in the crock pot with a vinegar, red pepper and brown sugar sauce. Chopped pork sandwiches will be enjoyed for the Super Bowl.

It is a beautiful, sunny day here in Southeastern Virginia so I’m taking advantage. Tomorrow’s forecast calls for rain.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I have a 10 lb pork shoulder cooking on my Brinkmann charcoal grill. The plan is six hours of smoke today then finish it up tomorrow in the crock pot with a vinegar, red pepper and brown sugar sauce. Chopped pork sandwiches will be enjoyed for the Super Bowl.

It is a beautiful, sunny day here in Southeastern Virginia so I’m taking advantage. Tomorrow’s forecast calls for rain.
    Hope it works good.

Im going to try a gordan ramsay steak sandwich . We will see how bad a mangle it up.lol

1. Smoke a pork shoulder.
    2. Smoke the Heels.
    3. Enjoy it all tomorrow.

Sounds like a great plan!

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Hope it works good.
    Thank you! I’ve used this methodology previously with success.
    Bob Green

Step 1 of my pork shoulder preparation was a success. After six hours offset cooking on the grill, the meat thermometer read 158 degrees and the shoulder had a wonderful color.

Step 2 commences at 08:00 when I’m going to place the smoked shoulder in the crock pot on low with the vinegar, red pepper and brown sugar sauce. The key is only a cup or maybe cup and a half of sauce. A common mistake made is too much liquid.

Sandwiches at 16:30...

As predicted, it is raining this morning.
    Bob Green

Step 1 of my pork shoulder preparation was a success. After six hours offset cooking on the grill, the meat thermometer read 158 degrees and the shoulder had a wonderful color.

Step 2 commences at 08:00 when I’m going to place the smoked shoulder in the crock pot on low with the vinegar, red pepper and brown sugar sauce. The key is only a cup or maybe cup and a half of sauce. A common mistake made is too much liquid.

Sandwiches at 16:30...

As predicted, it is raining this morning.
    In my experience depending on the amount of rain and your rig, rain can really futz with your cooking temp. Good luck!

meat question for you carnivores out there: I was at Costco today, and I ended up buying something I've never bought there before: USDA Prime top sirloin steaks. I'm familiar with Costco Prime tenderloins, ribeyes and strip steaks, but I don't usually think of top sirloin as being all that tender.

So I subdivided the package of six steaks...my wife ground up three of them for premium burgers tomorrow, the other three are resting in the freezer pending the outcome of tomorrow's experiment. Looks like the meat is nicely marbled, so we're optimistic.

Have any of you dealt with Prime top sirloin?

Thank you! I’ve used this methodology previously with success.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    1. Smoke a pork shoulder.
    2. Smoke the Heels.
    3. Enjoy it all tomorrow.

Sounds like a great plan!
    Hopefully we employ this methodology successfully tomorrow.

Corned beef and cabbage

Does anyone have a good recipe for corned beef and cabbage, either for preparing with old-fashioned equipment or an Instant Pot?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I'm thinking about getting an egg soon, or a Kamodo Joe's. Haven't decided yet. Co-worker has the K Joe and swears by it, but so do egg owners.

I currently have an off-set barrel smoker, but it's a cheap one and very easy to screw up the cook. My only fear of getting a good smoker is that it'll actually become easy and I can spend my time applying DevilDeacs beer pairing suggestions rather than cussing the thermometer on the smoker. I'm also worried that my wife will catch on that my new smoker doesn't require half the attention my old one did. She tends to find chores for idle hands and minds.
    I got the akorn .wasn't sure i wanted to invest 7 plus on a egg.
    It does what i ask of it. Have made bacon wrapped smoked pork belly on it.really good.

I bought a crawfish boiler/cooker also.
    It ha a hinged basket and a built on trough . Making frogmore stew has never been easier.

Dont worry about messing up.nothing like checking your smoker
    Temp and its over 800. Your pork shoulder looks like a meteorite
    Coming through the atmosphere.

Your first thought is i can save it. Just pop a cool one watch her burn .way less stress.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Does anyone have a good recipe for corned beef and cabbage, either for preparing with old-fashioned equipment or an Instant Pot?

Thanks
    I like to buy corned beef during the St Patrick day sales and turn them into pastrami in my smoker.
    I can post up the instructions if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    I like to buy corned beef during the St Patrick day sales and turn them into pastrami in my smoker.

Always wanted to try this. Happy with the result?

That is very pretty. Well done.

I saw a vertical skewer at a friends house and ended up buying one off Amazon. We used it to make chicken Shwarma on the egg. It was fantastic, very easy, and a real crowd pleaser. I think we are giving lamb a try this weekend.

IMG_0275.jpg

63728711468__11B31CF9-20E2-405D-9582-6AB113AE4F65.fullsizerender (1).jpg
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

^^ very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Always wanted to try this. Happy with the result?
    Been doing it this way every year since 2009. Turns out great most of the time.
    Besides the pictured sandwich, I like doing pastrami and eggs for breakfast with a piece of rye toast.

Method I posted in my fishing club site after the first try:

Instructions more or less...

Get Corned Beef on sale...we got the brisket flats. Bigger the better.
    Trim fat to 1/4" or less.
    If the package says sodium content of ~1000mg or higher, soak in water overnight in the fridge.
    If package says ~400 mg sodium, you should just have to rinse them off.
    Drip dry or paper towel a bit after rinsing.

Make up spice coating, per brisket:
    1/3 cup black pepper
    1/3 cup crushed coriander seeds
    1/3 cup mustard seed or dry mustard
    Tablespoon or more garlic powder

Coat the meat with the spice mix. Can go heavy as you can scrape some off after cooking if desired.

Smoke at 225-250 degrees until thermometer says meat is at 160 or so. Wrap in foil and put back in smoker until internal temp is at least 180, and preferably 190 or 200.

We used apple wood for the smoke this time. Added more chips twice during the smoke. I have a gas smoker with a small box you put the chips in.

Let rest on counter 30-60 minutes and then refrigerate. Slice thin across grain.

I have done this with various cuts of corned beef over the years depending on what I can find in the market, including round based ones instead of brisket, and they come out pretty much the same.
    Last edited by BigWayne; 03-16-2021 at 05:47 PM.

Besides the pictured sandwich, I like doing pastrami and eggs for breakfast with a piece of rye toast.

If the package says sodium content of ~1000mg or higher, soak in water overnight in the fridge.

1/3 cup black pepper

Coat the meat with the spice mix. Can go heavy as you can scrape some off after cooking if desired.

Smoke at 225-250 degrees until thermometer says meat is at 160 or so. Wrap in foil and put back in smoker until internal temp is at least 180, and preferably 190 or 200.

We used apple wood for the smoke this time. Added more chips twice during the smoke. I have a gas smoker with a small box you put the chips in.

Let rest on counter 30-60 minutes and then refrigerate. Slice thin across grain.

I have done this with various cuts of corned beef over the years depending on what I can find in the market, including round based ones instead of brisket, and they come out pretty much the same.
    Thanks, will definitely try this! The recipes I have seen all start with regular beef brisket and brining it for a few weeks. Not sure I have room in the fridge for that.

1/3 cup black pepper

I think I'll have to try this. I usually get my own brisket and brine it for a week. Using corned beef would make it a lot easier and not force me to think a week ahead!

I use this spice rub:
    28g fresh coarsely ground black pepper (4 Tbs)
    12g coriander (2 Tbs)
    2g mustard powder (1 tsp)
    14g brown sugar (1 Tbs)
    7g paprika (1 Tbs)
    5g garlic powder (2 tsp)
    5g onion powder (2 tsp)

Note: I build my rubs by measuring into a bowl on a scale instead of using all the measuring spoons in the kitchen, hence the measurements in grams with volume measurements to help me gauge how much to shake into the bowl. I use whole peppercorns and whole coriander and whizz all the spices together in a spice/coffee grinder. It really makes a difference! Get the coriander pretty fine, then add the black pepper and grind it until the pepper is still fairly coarse. Freshly ground spices take this to another level.

I do a hot smoke to internal temp of 150F with hickory and apple. I usually have a nice, black bark. Then I steam it for about 3 hours. Sous vide also works pretty well, too, but steaming is the best. I got a little carried away with this particular one and left too much fat on it. I was too excited to get it into the brine, and then from the brine to the smoker.

2017-07-15 18.14.15.jpg