Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Trying something new tomorrow. Harris Teeter had an amazing $2/lb brisket special, so I got one. I always just rub and smoke them, but I've decided to brine this one overnight. I've never tried it with anything other than poultry before, so this will be a fun experiment. It's going on my stand-up smoker tomorrow, and I expect for it to be about an 8 hour cook. (It's a small one, only 5 pounds, just the flat.)
    Never just done the flat, lemme know how it comes out. They often trim the fat layer pretty thin.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Never just done the flat, lemme know how it comes out. They often trim the fat layer pretty thin.
    I've done a few, always with good success, but I'm looking forward to seeing how the brine changes things. Since I'm only feeding two people, a 15 lb brisket doesn't make much sense.
    PS, while I don't have any trimmings right now, when I DO smoke a full brisket, I often save what I cut off in the freezer for times such as tomorrow, and lay them on top of the cut of meat that I'm smoking.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Trying something new tomorrow. Harris Teeter had an amazing $2/lb brisket special, so I got one. I always just rub and smoke them, but I've decided to brine this one overnight. I've never tried it with anything other than poultry before, so this will be a fun experiment. It's going on my stand-up smoker tomorrow, and I expect for it to be about an 8 hour cook. (It's a small one, only 5 pounds, just the flat.)
    Came out so bad that I only went back for thirds.

Brisket.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Since I'm not gonna get any sleep tonight, I but a butt on the grill.

Hurricane pork!

HurricanePig.jpg

Since I'm not gonna get any sleep tonight, I but a butt on the grill.

Hurricane pork!

HurricanePig.jpg
    Mmmmmm...
    Pulled it off at midnight between rain bands.

HurricaneCue.jpg

Mmmmmm...

HurricaneCue.jpg
    “When life gives you lemons, make pulled pork.”

Looks great!

I bought a 3lb brisket yesterday, but not to smoke.
    Sliced it up, marinated it all night, and right now it's in my dehydrator for a few hours. Looking forward to some delicious jerky!

I haven't used the dehydrator in a few years.

Mmmmmm...

HurricaneCue.jpg
    That looks real good. Actual BBQ.

Trying something totally new today. The Pig (Piggly Wiggly for the non-southerners) had good deals on bone in rib roasts, so I have one on the grill now.
    I've never brined a roast before, but I decided to do a coffee brine. After a night of soaking, I dry rubbed it with a salt/brown sugar/herb/espresso mix.
    Looking forward to seeing how this turns out in a few hours. Pic 1 is just before it went in the smoke. Using apple with a starter of mesquite.

CoffeeRoast.jpg

CoffeeRoast2.jpg

Halfway there...good lord I love the smell of a meat filled smoker when first opened up!

CoffeeRoast3.jpg

Came out so bad that I only went back for thirds.

Brisket.jpg
    That's disgusting. Means nothing left for me 😂.

Bought some spare ribs on sale a couple weeks ago but couldn't smoke them the last 10 days as we had wildfire smoke hanging around outside that smelled pretty nasty. Finally cleared up so I fired them in the smoker. Also dug out some beef ribs I had trimmed off bone in rib roasts when they were on sale around the holidays.
    Beef on top, pork below.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Bought some spare ribs on sale a couple weeks ago but couldn't smoke them the last 10 days as we had wildfire smoke hanging around outside that smelled pretty nasty. Finally cleared up so I fired them in the smoker. Also dug out some beef ribs I had trimmed off bone in rib roasts when they were on sale around the holidays.
    Beef on top, pork below.
    Mmmm...digging the setup!

Irony of not being able to smoke while it's smokey, ha!

Gonna try reverse-searing for the first time tonight. Three NY strips in the oven at about 275 until a bit under 100 degrees internal, then in a cast-iron on the BGE for a few minutes a side. Bacon in the skillet beforehand for grease, then some butter and rosemary on top.

Shrimp in the butter/grease skillet while the steak rests.

Curious to see how this works!

Gonna try reverse-searing for the first time tonight. Three NY strips in the oven at about 275 until a bit under 100 degrees internal, then in a cast-iron on the BGE for a few minutes a side. Bacon in the skillet beforehand for grease, then some butter and rosemary on top.

Shrimp in the butter/grease skillet while the steak rests.

Curious to see how this works!
    How thick are they? I usually do the slow cook up to 120-130 internal temp or even 134 for really thick ribeyes (which I prefer medium). If you have thick steaks and rest them a bit before the sear, and if your searing skillet is hot, you won't get much internal temp increase during the sear at all. You may be working with thinner steaks or planning a longer sear than I use.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    How thick are they? I usually do the slow cook up to 120-130 internal temp or even 134 for really thick ribeyes (which I prefer medium). If you have thick steaks and rest them a bit before the sear, and if your searing skillet is hot, you won't get much internal temp increase during the sear at all. You may be working with thinner steaks or planning a longer sear than I use.
    Only about 1.5” thick or so.

Good points, I’ll have to just experiment. An instant-read thermometer is my guide, try to get it about 5-7 degrees or so below there I want it to finish.

All advice welcome. Just salted and peppered, and put back in the fridge. Saw an interesting video on salt times recently. It looks like there is a real difference between doing it hours before and doing it right before you throw it on.

Only about 1.5” thick or so.

Good points, I’ll have to just experiment. An instant-read thermometer is my guide, try to get it about 5-7 degrees or so below there I want it to finish.

All advice welcome. Just salted and peppered, and put back in the fridge. Saw an interesting video on salt times recently. It looks like there is a real difference between doing it hours before and doing it right before you throw it on.
    For 1.5" you are on the right track I think, especially if you want final product on the rare side. Good luck! I think it's a great method. Also, through my experimenting, I've learned that even the failures are pretty good.

for those of the NY Strip persuasion, may I heartily recommend the USDA Prime ones available at Costco...they have been consistently superb all summer

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    for those of the NY Strip persuasion, may I heartily recommend the USDA Prime ones available at Costco...they have been consistently superb all summer
    Agree re: Costco meat. They also have prime briskets sometimes (varies by geography), which are great. I really like their prime ribeyes and their prime ribeye caps are really special (also not available everywhere).

If you want to spend money, Snake River Farms has absolutely outstanding meats.