Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
    I've got a spatchcock chicken on and a few pounds of pork belly .3 hrs in .
    Pellet consumption is not bad . Holds temperature nice .using a garlic onion paprika mix .
    In a few hrs I'll have a verdict.
    I could see doing a brisket on this easily.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    My understanding is basically:

1. Cure for 7 days, flipping the bag once a day.
    2. Rinse, then dry on a rack in the fridge 24-48 hrs.
    3. Smoke low temp to internal of 145-150 or so.
    4. Rest until cool (an hour or so), then wrap and let sit in fridge for 24 hrs.
    5. Slice, cook, enjoy!

Is that about right?
    Yep! That's about it. Except the few slices you need to cook up and sample before the 24 hours in the fridge.

I found that the 2.5 gallon zipper bags are perfect for this, then I put them in a pan that can hold lots of the all of the cure in the event that something happens and punctures the bag. Putting it on one of the lowest levels in the fridge is also helpful in the event of spills. Sugary, salty, raw pork based liquid is awful to clean up!

Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    Yep! That's about it. Except the few slices you need to cook up and sample before the 24 hours in the fridge.

I found that the 2.5 gallon zipper bags are perfect for this, then I put them in a pan that can hold lots of the all of the cure in the event that something happens and punctures the bag. Putting it on one of the lowest levels in the fridge is also helpful in the event of spills. Sugary, salty, raw pork based liquid is awful to clean up!
    Thanks, I am using 2.5 gallon bags.

Ended up doing three, 3.5 lb slabs. One with a traditional rub, one with a maple bourbon rub, and one a Cajun hot rub. I started them Friday before heading to Durham, so will rinse and rack them this Friday to smoke Saturday and really test on Sunday.

I am irrationally happy about this.

I’ve also heard that racking for 48 hours is better for smoke absorption than just 24; any thoughts? Not that I can wait that extra day….

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    I'm not to good with hornets or needles.
    My neighbors comming to get it .I'm going to lowes .as soon as he's done .I didn't really want to spray them . Now I don't have to mess with them at all.
    He's got a bee suit .
    I had a hornet bop me in the corner of my eye lid years ago . Never again.
    To be honest I didn't even want to let the dog out.
    I had a big hornet nest hidden inside a big hedge in front of my porch back when I lived near Atlanta.
    I discovered it was there when I was using my electric hedge trimmer to trim said hedge.
    One of them came right out of it and got me between my mouth and nose.

This was on the morning of July 4th before I was set to attend a big party. I was quite the sight with a swollen lip.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    I had a big hornet nest hidden inside a big hedge in front of my porch back when I lived near Atlanta.
    I discovered it was there when I was using my electric hedge trimmer to trim said hedge.
    One of them came right out of it and got me between my mouth and nose.

This was on the morning of July 4th before I was set to attend a big party. I was quite the sight with a swollen lip.
    They aren't a joke. I missed 3 days of work . It was purplish for a week.
    The running joke was that they can see my wife had already told me to do something
    Once .so she better not have to ask twice .

According to my neighbor thr smoker was probably unsaveable . After scraping it off they were in the wiring of the control board so he thinks.its gone I'm happy . I'm 2 for 3 on thr new pellet.
    Burgers and smoked pork belly was great.
    Chicken was flavored leather .

Pink BBQ and a 911 call

WaPo has this fun report out of Raleigh's Clyde Cooper’s Barbeque.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/11/15/pink-barbecue-911-call/

Looks like the restaurant is turning lemons into lemonade (figuratively speaking, of course).

Really dont know my cooker yet.
    I made a bomb brisket 1st try.

Bacon came out great, but really salty. I’ve read of folks soaking the slab in cold water for an hour or two after curing and before racking, to draw out some of the salt. May need to do that next time.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Obligatory Happy Thanksgiving pics. 21lb brined bird been smoking over apple for 5 hours now, 2 more to go. (Currently sitting just below 150)

22Turkey.jpg

22TurkeySmoker.jpg

Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 11-24-2022 at 01:16 PM.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Only 13 pounds here, and if I'm honest, just a hair overdone. It was close though, and I was trying a faster cook than usual. I'll get it right next year.

Done Turkey.jpg

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Only 13 pounds here, and if I'm honest, just a hair overdone. It was close though, and I was trying a faster cook than usual. I'll get it right next year.

Done Turkey.jpg
    I like to give myself lots of extra time, so if it's needed, I don't have to stress. If the turkey finishes early (I pull it at 160), no biggie; I just wrap it in foil and place it in a cooler that will hold it. It will lose barely any heat by the time you carve and serve.

Yours looks like you did a fine job.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Almost time for you turkey smokers to get into action again.
    I've been using mine to smoke beef for making chili.

booth_23.jpg
    2nd_LOAD.jpg
    4smokingmen award 2023.jpg

https://beachboardwalk.com/Chili-Cook-Off/

I can personally attest that CB&B smokes a damn fine turkey.

Awesome! Recipe? I got a green egg this year and am learning the ropes.

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    Awesome! Recipe? I got a green egg this year and am learning the ropes.
    Number one part of making a great bird, regardless of how you cook it, is brining it. I let mine take a bath for 24-18 hours prior to cooking. I doubt I've ever made the brine the same way twice, but my general ingredients are rosemary, thyme, garlic, black pepper, sage, and bay leaves. Depending on what I have on hand, other herbs may go in, or be left out. I also add brown sugar, somewhere around 3/4 cup. Go lighter on the herbs than you'd think. A little rosemary goes a long way. I use a tablespoon max of each, probably closer to half a tablespoon.
    Regardless of what goes in the brine, the base is always 1 cup kosher salt to one gallon water. You'll want two gallons for your THAWED bird. Top it off with ice. I use a 10 gallon Igloo cooler when I brine my birds. One cooler is the perfect size for a turkey; I put everything into one of those black Hefty trashbags (to keep my cooler clean, lol) and close the lid.

When cooking, I fill the cavity with two or three wedged lemons and a couple wedged onions. Also, instead of basting, I use a can of cooking spray every hour or so to coat the skin.

At 275ish, a 20lb bird will take around 4 hours. Maybe a little less, a temp probe is your friend. Depending on how long it will rest, I pull mine at 160-165.

I like hickory and apple for smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Number one part of making a great bird, regardless of how you cook it, is brining it. I let mine take a bath for 24-18 hours prior to cooking. I doubt I've ever made the brine the same way twice, but my general ingredients are rosemary, thyme, garlic, black pepper, sage, and bay leaves. Depending on what I have on hand, other herbs may go in, or be left out. I also add brown sugar, somewhere around 3/4 cup. Go lighter on the herbs than you'd think. A little rosemary goes a long way. I use a tablespoon max of each, probably closer to half a tablespoon.
    Regardless of what goes in the brine, the base is always 1 cup kosher salt to one gallon water. You'll want two gallons for your THAWED bird. Top it off with ice. I use a 10 gallon Igloo cooler when I brine my birds. One cooler is the perfect size for a turkey; I put everything into one of those black Hefty trashbags (to keep my cooler clean, lol) and close the lid.

When cooking, I fill the cavity with two or three wedged lemons and a couple wedged onions. Also, instead of basting, I use a can of cooking spray every hour or so to coat the skin.

At 275ish, a 20lb bird will take around 4 hours. Maybe a little less, a temp probe is your friend. Depending on how long it will rest, I pull mine at 160-165.

I like hickory and apple for smoking.
    Thanks much! I'm hoping to make one of the legendary tailgates one day...
    Fahr zur Hölle, Carolina, fahr zur Hölle

I can personally attest that CB&B smokes a damn fine turkey.
    And to think, in the old days, it was considered illegal and immoral, and now generally accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    And to think, in the old days, it was considered illegal and immoral, and now generally accepted.
    The hardest thing about smoking a turkey is keeping the damn thing lit.

The hardest thing about smoking a turkey is keeping the damn thing lit.
    Don’t bogart that joint. Or wing.