Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Agree re: Costco meat. They also have prime briskets sometimes (varies by geography), which are great. I really like their prime ribeyes and their prime ribeye caps are really special (also not available everywhere).

If you want to spend money, Snake River Farms has absolutely outstanding meats.
    Snake River Farms and Fossil Farms are both excellent if you’re willing to pay for what they ship. I have ordered and enjoyed wagyu briskets from both.

Agree re: Costco meat. They also have prime briskets sometimes (varies by geography), which are great. I really like their prime ribeyes and their prime ribeye caps are really special (also not available everywhere).

If you want to spend money, Snake River Farms has absolutely outstanding meats.
    Hey, I saw the "ribeye caps" but was unfamiliar with them...are they end cuts or something?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Hey, I saw the "ribeye caps" but was unfamiliar with them...are they end cuts or something?
    hmm let me see if I can describe it...

Imagine a ribeye. There is a great strip of meat that goes around the outer portion of the steak. That is the rib cap.

Now imagine a whole rib section (not cut into steaks) and imagine they cut horizontally just that outer portion across multiple steaks. That's the rib cap that they are selling.

They roll them up and put toothpicks in at Costco. You can cook it that way, kind of like a thick steak or you can unroll and it's much thinner.

ribeyecap.jpg

Wow, I’m a reverse sear convert. That was crazy good, cooked perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Only about 1.5” thick or so.

Good points, I’ll have to just experiment. An instant-read thermometer is my guide, try to get it about 5-7 degrees or so below there I want it to finish.

All advice welcome. Just salted and peppered, and put back in the fridge. Saw an interesting video on salt times recently. It looks like there is a real difference between doing it hours before and doing it right before you throw it on.
    Out of curiosity, do you bring the steak to room temp to slap it in cold?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you bring the steak to room temp to slap it in cold?
    Took it out for about 20 minutes before putting it into the heat.

Also salted/seasoned about 8 hours before cooking, it made a really nice ring.

Took it out for about 20 minutes before putting it into the heat.

Also salted/seasoned about 8 hours before cooking, it made a really nice ring.
    I use the Alton Brown steak method.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pan-seared-rib-eye-recipe-2131274

Reverse seer works great for thick-cut pork chops. I salt them ahead and bring them to room temperature, then put them on my egg-style griller/smoker as soon as the charcoal fire is established, but before the grill as a whole is truly hot. I keep the temperature rising up until it gets to 225 and hold it for maybe 45-75 minutes, depending on the exact thickness and how well I've been able to manage the temperature increase. Then I just open the vents and let it rip. Nice crusty exterior, tender interior, and a bit of smoky flavor.

May not be the correct thread, but does anyone own/have experience with a PK Grill? Do the live up to the hype? Might purchase one.

Turkey breast

I'm planning on grilling a turkey breast on Thanksgiving (obviously no big gathering this year). I have never done just a breast. Does anyone have a recommendation regarding seasoning? I usually just do tons of butter and fresh herbs. Also, will brining make a diff?
    Thanks

I’m a thigh guy

I grill-smoke turkey thighs regularly, and I always brine them. Brining is even more essential for grilled breasts, I would imagine, but I don’t do breasts. (Never thought I’d type those words.) If you want tips or recipe suggestions for thighs, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I'm planning on grilling a turkey breast on Thanksgiving (obviously no big gathering this year). I have never done just a breast. Does anyone have a recommendation regarding seasoning? I usually just do tons of butter and fresh herbs. Also, will brining make a diff?
    Thanks
    Brining makes a phenomenal difference, especially with just the breast. I didn't used to do it and tried all kinds of voodoo to seal the meat and try to get it to come out juicy. brining is the only thing I've found that's even remotely effective. My immediate family is 6 people, so I'll be smoking a whole bird, just like usual this year. My new practice (last five years or so), is to pull out my huge pot that I only use about twice a year, make the brine at about 9:00pm, put the bird in, and dump in all the ice I have just before bed, then set the whole thing on the porch with a weight on the lid to foil any passing varmints. Works like a charm.

In your case, with just the breast, you can just use a fridge and not even worry about the ice and the critters.

hmm let me see if I can describe it...

Imagine a ribeye. There is a great strip of meat that goes around the outer portion of the steak. That is the rib cap.

Now imagine a whole rib section (not cut into steaks) and imagine they cut horizontally just that outer portion across multiple steaks. That's the rib cap that they are selling.

They roll them up and put toothpicks in at Costco. You can cook it that way, kind of like a thick steak or you can unroll and it's much thinner.

ribeyecap.jpg
    Ha, sorry I haven't seen this post, that's amazing info, that rib cap is the most fabulous meat ever...I don't recall seeing that at Costco, but I'll be on the lookout..

spousal unit just ground up (with her new electric meat grinder) a somewhat fatty Costco Prime ribeye steak, so we're having deluxe burgers tonight...

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    I know nothing about the subject except I love eating the results. My smoking consists of burning things and setting off the smoke alarm.

That said, could somebody recommend a decent (but not exceptionally high-end) smoker? My nephew's died (and he and his father-in-law couldn't fix it; I believe it was electric.)

From a quick Google search, I think it looked like this one (not that it's the same model from Target, and not suggesting I need to order it from them): https://www.target.com/p/americana-2...en&adgroup=9-7

I'd need to pick it up in the Triangle area, or Baltimore (where he lives.) Perhaps in-between along I-95.

spousal unit just ground up (with her new electric meat grinder) a somewhat fatty Costco Prime ribeye steak, so we're having deluxe burgers tonight...
    Nice. I need to break out the grinder for some fresh smash burgers. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    I know nothing about the subject except I love eating the results. My smoking consists of burning things and setting off the smoke alarm.

That said, could somebody recommend a decent (but not exceptionally high-end) smoker? My nephew's died (and he and his father-in-law couldn't fix it; I believe it was electric.)

From a quick Google search, I think it looked like this one (not that it's the same model from Target, and not suggesting I need to order it from them): https://www.target.com/p/americana-2...en&adgroup=9-7

I'd need to pick it up in the Triangle area, or Baltimore (where he lives.) Perhaps in-between along I-95.
    You will get a million different opinions on this. I started with an even more basic electric one than what your nephew has back ~30 years ago. I upgraded to propane smokers after that. Personally, I like having electric or gas as it makes it much less labor intensive. I had to replace mine last February and was able to get this one I really like for under $200 at that time. It's gone up to ~$300 now. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B010759H9W They make a lower cost version with only one burner also: https://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Glo-DGY7...dp/B007YX9KRU/
    Similar models are available from other manufacturers also.

The space in stores where they put smokers usually shrinks this time of year in favor of Xmas stuff, so you may have better luck online.

Nice. I need to break out the grinder for some fresh smash burgers. . . .
    The results of the ground up Prime ribeye was fantastic, but I have to admit we won't do this too often..spectacular flavor due to the fat content, which is higher than we usually like to eat (and spouse cut off a lot of fat before grinding).

What is a smash burger?

The results of the ground up Prime ribeye was fantastic, but I have to admit we won't do this too often..spectacular flavor due to the fat content, which is higher than we usually like to eat (and spouse cut off a lot of fat before grinding).

What is a smash burger?
    You need to do it on a griddle or in a (cast iron) pan:

1. Take a lump of loose-ground beef (80/20 preferable), drop it on the heated/oiled surface
    2. Generous pinch of salt and pepper
    3. Smash it flat fairly immediately
    4. Flip in about 1-2 minutes. Add cheese to flipped patty.
    5. Cook another minute or two. Pull and put one or two on a bun.

You get a great crispy crust, melted cheese, and it’s still juicy because it’s not like overcooking a thicker burger.

A version:

You need to do it on a griddle or in a (cast iron) pan:

1. Take a lump of loose-ground beef (80/20 preferable), drop it on the heated/oiled surface
    2. Generous pinch of salt and pepper
    3. Smash it flat fairly immediately
    4. Flip in about 2-3 minutes. Add cheese to flipped patty.
    5. Cook another minute or two. Pull and put one or two on a bun.

You get a great crispy crust, melted cheese, and it’s still juicy because it’s not like overcooking a thicker burger.

A version:

aha, yes, I've done that, primarily in a cast iron pan outside on the grill, as there can be a smoke alarm response...as you say, marvelous crust