Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Smoked meats and bbq

I enjoy making pulled pork, ribs, and chicken. I just thought it may be nice to have a thread we can share advice, maybe a secret sauce or two as well.

If you live in the Wake County area, I highly recommend the Lucky 3 farm CSA.

I may not have any secret sauces or recipes to share.
    Starting with the best meat you can get would be my tip.

Eggs, bacon, chicken, sausage- everything from Lucky 3 farm has been amazing.

Venison inner loins (sweet meat)
    Marinate in Worcestershire sauce 6-8 hours.
    Remove and pat dry, then coat with a light coating of olive oil.
    Sprinkle with Montreal steak seasoning and black pepper.
    Place on charcoal grill as heat begins to decline a bit.
    Cook 15 minutes, turn, and cook for ten minutes more.
    Slice and serve, best if pink in the middle.

1 1/2 cups of apple cider vinegar
    1 teaspoon texas pete
    2 tablespoons sugar brown or white
    1 tablespoon salt
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    2 teaspoons ground black pepper
    Thats what i made and put on half.i used cattlemans on the other lol
    I do like that venison recipe.
    Jr is ready to hunt.hes shooting 1 to 2.5 inch groups at 75 yds or so.
    Maybe he can bring one in.

That venison was so tender, you really didn't need a knife to cut it up. Was really great tasting too.

Just so you know, an older thread entitled Duke vs. Kentucky has been a traditional place for discussing BBQ around here. It's not just one thread, and I am not sure how many there have been. They have all have been posted traditionally in the EK Board. The moderators might, no, should move this thread's posts to one of the existing Duke vs. Kentucky threads. Better yet, just rename this thread, and move it over.

... and continue the tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Just so you know, an older thread entitled Duke vs. Kentucky has been a traditional place for discussing BBQ around here. It's not just one thread, and I am not sure how many there have been. They have all have been posted traditionally in the EK Board. The moderators might, no, should move this thread's posts to one of the existing Duke vs. Kentucky threads. Better yet, just rename this thread, and move it over.

Also one entitled big green egg or bge, primarily about smoking. Oh, and hot debate on whether letting meat come to room temperature before cooking is real or a myth.

Here's the Big Green Egg thread:

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.c...ighlight=green

And (I think) is the most recent Duke vs. Kentucky thread (last post in July):

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.c...ke-vs-Kentucky
    "Quality is not an option!"

Maybe------but this seems a little "saucey" in my opinion.

Best BBQ (as y'all already know from the Duke vs Kentucky thread) is still beef brisket with just a salt and pepper rub smoked over Post Oak with NO sauce to alter it's natural incredible flavor. The rub just enables the juices to come out and gives it a little "edge". Tabasco or some other similar Louisiana style hot sauce is allowed for added "heat", if so desired. Otherwise, you are just flavoring fairly tasteless pork.

Let the war begin (again). Ha!

And, as Jarhead has correctly mentioned, move it to its rightful place in the appropriate thread-----for discussion at the appropriate time-----which is usually not during bball season, unless one is only asking for good BBQ locations.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Here's the Big Green Egg thread:

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.c...ighlight=green

And (I think) is the most recent Duke vs. Kentucky thread (last post in July):

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.c...ke-vs-Kentucky
    Yep.

ricks

A Thread About Threads

Why don't we have a thread about finding existing threads!! Wait, I am sure there is one. There has to be. Why, even this reply belongs in another thread. Am I nuts you ask? Don't ya know you are suppose to do research on this entire forum before you post a thread!! Wait, maybe a thread on "How to research forum Threads?" Oh nuts! There is one already, ya say. Oh well! Guess I will just have to find time to research. Hey, maybe there is a thread on "finding time for searching forum threads". Whew, by the time I finish all of this fact finding, I will have forgotten what I wanted to post anyway!! Which is what I should have done to begin with, starting with this post!! Ha! Ha! Had to get this one in before someone else did!!

I scanned .i usually dont open threads with kentucky in them.i had seen that thread a while back.i didn't figure it was really about bbq.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    I scanned .i usually dont open threads with kentucky in them.i had seen that thread a while back.i didn't figure it was really about bbq.
    So, you've been a member of DBR for almost 6 years now and have posted over 400 times and didn't know what the famous Duke vs Kentucky thread is all about? Shame,. shame.

Your penalty for that oversight is for you to go back and read all previous posts on the Duke vs Kentucky thread before you will be allowed to mention BBQ on DBR again. In addition, you will be required to contact devildeac for advice on the proper beer pairings for each of the different styles of BBQ that you will be reviewing because you will be tested by representatives from each BBQ region that have posted on the thread after your task is complete. Failure to do so satisfactorily will result in you having to endure a constant slathering of a myriad of BBQ sauces while being told "no BBQ for you!" by the representatives of each region. (The exception being the Texas region, as Texas BBQ don't need no stinkin' sauce!)

(By the way, had some wonderful BBQ this evening over at Buxton Hall. Yummmmmm.)

ricks

If you ask me*, this thread is properly in the Off-Topic forum and probably does not need to folded into a previous thread.

Duke vs. Kentucky is about restaurant dining preferences and the geography of barbecued meat (and maybe side dishes). It is closely tied to game-related travel and is therefore appropriate in the Main forum.

Methods of home cooking of barbecued meat (and anything else) have in the past been discussed in the Off-Topic forum.

*I have no interest in being a moderator, but if DBR created a position for Ombudsman...

I would like to be the Burgermeister. That just sounds cool.

Plus I grow weary of my current role as wartime consigliere. No justice, no peace.

If anyone is South African, or has ever been to South Africa, you may be familiar with the South African sausage Boerwors. Its name derives from the Dutch word "Boer" (farmer) and "worst" (sausage). The stuff is outstanding, and what we refer to as a "cookout" (not the restaurant) they call a "Brai" in South Africa. As for many of us, a Brai is no joking matter, and this short video properly explains the etiquette and hierarchy that comes with a proper Brai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq2SOmwzjUU
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Plus I grow weary of my current role as wartime consigliere. No justice, no peace.
    I did some consulting for a friend's business, and convinced them to make me a business card with my title as "consigliere."

Highlight of my brief professional career.

I have had good success home smoking meats - mostly pork butt. I have even done well with them on a gas grill with a LOT of attention and experimentation. Would love to get an egg.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    If you ask me*, this thread is properly in the Off-Topic forum and probably does not need to folded into a previous thread.

Duke vs. Kentucky is about restaurant dining preferences and the geography of barbecued meat (and maybe side dishes). It is closely tied to game-related travel and is therefore appropriate in the Main forum.

Methods of home cooking of barbecued meat (and anything else) have in the past been discussed in the Off-Topic forum.

*I have no interest in being a moderator, but if DBR created a position for Ombudsman...
    That would be best discussed here:

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.c...ight=ycch+beer
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Plus I grow weary of my current role as wartime consigliere. No justise, no peace.
    1. No beef from me.

2. Minor spelling correction.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I did some consulting for a friend's business, and convinced them to make me a business card with my title as "consigliere."

Highlight of my brief professional career.

I have had good success home smoking meats - mostly pork butt. I have even done well with them on a gas grill with a LOT of attention and experimentation. Would love to get an egg.
    I'm thinking about getting an egg soon, or a Kamodo Joe's. Haven't decided yet. Co-worker has the K Joe and swears by it, but so do egg owners.

I currently have an off-set barrel smoker, but it's a cheap one and very easy to screw up the cook. My only fear of getting a good smoker is that it'll actually become easy and I can spend my time applying DevilDeacs beer pairing suggestions rather than cussing the thermometer on the smoker. I'm also worried that my wife will catch on that my new smoker doesn't require half the attention my old one did. She tends to find chores for idle hands and minds.