Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
I think I'll have to try this. I usually get my own brisket and brine it for a week. Using corned beef would make it a lot easier and not force me to think a week ahead!

I use this spice rub:
28g fresh coarsely ground black pepper (4 Tbs)
12g coriander (2 Tbs)
2g mustard powder (1 tsp)
14g brown sugar (1 Tbs)
7g paprika (1 Tbs)
5g garlic powder (2 tsp)
5g onion powder (2 tsp)

Note: I build my rubs by measuring into a bowl on a scale instead of using all the measuring spoons in the kitchen, hence the measurements in grams with volume measurements to help me gauge how much to shake into the bowl. I use whole peppercorns and whole coriander and whizz all the spices together in a spice/coffee grinder. It really makes a difference! Get the coriander pretty fine, then add the black pepper and grind it until the pepper is still fairly coarse. Freshly ground spices take this to another level.

I do a hot smoke to internal temp of 150F with hickory and apple. I usually have a nice, black bark. Then I steam it for about 3 hours. Sous vide also works pretty well, too, but steaming is the best. I got a little carried away with this particular one and left too much fat on it. I was too excited to get it into the brine, and then from the brine to the smoker.

2017-07-15 18.14.15.jpg
If you try it with a corned beef, let me know if you taste a difference v. self-brining.