Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Try sunny side up egg on a burger. Along with pickled red onion and roasted red peppers and roasted jalapenos..Use beef burger if you do not have venison tenderloin.

Smoked two pork tenderloins on the grill last night...they lack the essential fats of ribs of course, but are tasty nonetheless...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Smoked two pork tenderloins on the grill last night...they lack the essential fats of ribs of course, but are tasty nonetheless...
    Always a favorite in my house. We usually serve on Hawaiian rolls with pickles and mustard.

bumping up the meat thread just because this is America, and meat is NOT a third page issue!

I was at Costco the other day during Geezer Hour, could not find any basic ribeyes (I love the way Costco cuts their steaks about 1.5 inches thick) but the butcher showed me their USDA Prime ribeyes...grilled them last night, I must say quite possibly the most flavorful steak ever. (I've had Prime meat before, sometimes it's great, sometimes not discernible from Choice)...anyway, I'll get them again...

Brisket Cooking Issues

I have had a problem the last two times I've cooked brisket. I get the BGE to temp (250 degrees or so) and put on a 7 - 10 lb brisket. The entire thing cooks in 2.5 - 3 hours. I even have an internal thermometer along with the dome thermometer to manage the temp, and neither is showing a spike in temperature. Now, I'm not sure I should be complaining, because the last brisket I cooked was pretty darn good (and somehow tender). But, I prefer the old fashioned way of 1 - 1.5 hours per pound. Any ideas as to what may be going wrong?
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    I have had a problem the last two times I've cooked brisket. I get the BGE to temp (250 degrees or so) and put on a 7 - 10 lb brisket. The entire thing cooks in 2.5 - 3 hours. I even have an internal thermometer along with the dome thermometer to manage the temp, and neither is showing a spike in temperature. Now, I'm not sure I should be complaining, because the last brisket I cooked was pretty darn good (and somehow tender). But, I prefer the old fashioned way of 1 - 1.5 hours per pound. Any ideas as to what may be going wrong?
    Perhaps the laws of physics cease to exist on your grill top?

No idea how something that big could cook so quickly if your internal thermometer is also showing 250. I can't even get close to the stall by then. To what internal temperature are you cooking the brisket? And, is it a full packer cut or just a flat?

maybe a second thermometer in your grill could calibrate things? It does seem to cook awfully fast for that temp...

Last time was a 7 lb flat. Cook to 190.

I’m at a loss on cooking the brisket. As long as it tastes good, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    Last time was a 7 lb flat. Cook to 190.

I’m at a loss on cooking the brisket. As long as it tastes good, I guess.
    I’ve never cooked just the flat before, always do a packer cut. But it makes sense that a flat will be fairly quick.

I normally take a brisket up to an internal temp of somewhere in the 203-207 range.

The biggest concern (for me) with just a flat from the stores near me is that it is usually trimmed too close; need about 1/4 to 1/8 inch fat layer to shield the hot side. With a packer cut, by contrast, there is a lot of trimming but you can really shape the fat layers.

But agree — if it tastes great, it’s done well! That’s really the only thing that matters.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Closed out a wonderful Memorial Day weekend with some grill action today. (Leg quarters bathed in smoke)

ChickenSmoke.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Closed out a wonderful Memorial Day weekend with some grill action today. (Leg quarters bathed in smoke)

ChickenSmoke.jpg
    extinguishflame.gif
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

leg quarters are a "best value" grilling option, even being pretty healthy...love those guys.

Brand new Weber charcoal grill. Want to christen it with something special. I'm inclined towards perhaps a hanger steak. Other great ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Brand new Weber charcoal grill. Want to christen it with something special. I'm inclined towards perhaps a hanger steak. Other great ideas?
    new grill needs to have some fat deposited, so get something that drips like maybe sausages...chicken fat oozes nicely, too.

You should season the grate just like seasoning a cast iron frying pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    You should season the grate just like seasoning a cast iron frying pan.
    Lemon butter?

grilled meat loaf patties?

spousal unit and I planning a new concoction, meat loaf patties on the grill, made with ground chuck, pork sausage, onions, spices, etc. Anyone ever try this?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    spousal unit and I planning a new concoction, meat loaf patties on the grill, made with ground chuck, pork sausage, onions, spices, etc. Anyone ever try this?
    I've not done patties, but I've done a whole meat loaf on the grill before. It turned out delicious. In the summer I cook lots of things that would otherwise be done in the oven on the grill. Keeps the kitchen way cooler.
    Other things I've "baked" on the grill. Lasagna, burritos, casseroles, pizzas, rolls, etc.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

A smoking friend got one of those five-pound tubes of ground beef, rubbed it, then smoked it. He said it came out dry.

There should be plenty of fat/juice in there, so we speculated as to whether he should have maybe wrapped after getting smoke on it like ribs.

Good luck if you do it, let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I've not done patties, but I've done a whole meat loaf on the grill before. It turned out delicious. In the summer I cook lots of things that would otherwise be done in the oven on the grill. Keeps the kitchen way cooler.
    Other things I've "baked" on the grill. Lasagna, burritos, casseroles, pizzas, rolls, ribs, burgers, assorted chicken parts, Costcos, shrimp, oysters, half a pig etc.
    Refreshed your memory a bit .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.