Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Or this:

(and FWIW I’m a rare-steak guy).

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/03/u...dams-dead.html

seems we'd be remiss in not noting the passing of the man who created the modern recipe for Slim Jims, Lon Adams, has died.

After the Slim Jim factory exploded some years ago, I felt I had a pretty good handle on the ingredients...

My brother-in-law just gifted us an entire Venison Tenderloin. I have one recipe somewhere that involves bacon-wrapping with a balsamic glaze. Any other thoughts/recipes?
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    My brother-in-law just gifted us an entire Venison Tenderloin. I have one recipe somewhere that involves bacon-wrapping with a balsamic glaze. Any other thoughts/recipes?
    Yes, but I have to show you in person.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Not a problem! Come on up!
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

"Will grill for food"

Shameless.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    "Will grill for food"

Shameless.
    Dude — venison loin.

Was gifted an electric masterbuilt smoker yesterday.
    Model 130 if it matters.

Seasoned it per the directions with some apple chips today.

Likely going to give it a go tomorrow with a pork butt or two.

Excited!

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Was gifted an electric masterbuilt smoker yesterday.
    Model 130 if it matters.

Seasoned it per the directions with some apple chips today.

Likely going to give it a go tomorrow with a pork butt or two.

Excited!
    I have that model the digital.
    You must get a wireless meat thermometer.you will be happier.way less stressed.
    Your cooking will be damn near flawless.
    Temps are king when smoking .

When i do my pork butts. I use mustard as a binder then put my rub on overnight.

I go at 225 i add chips two or 3 times.
    When thr butt hits 160 .i remove and wrap .pour a lil apple juice in also.
    Then i go till shes 200 to 205.
    I remove throw them in a empty cooler fill space with towels .close .i remove them around 130 degrees (couple hours)and pull apart.

My sauce is vinegar texas pete brown sugar and mustard. I run vinegar hot sauce heavy .but that isnt for everyone.

I have to use sweet baby rays for my wifes .a wife thats looking for the pepcid is not a happy wife.lol

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    I have that model the digital.
    You must get a wireless meat thermometer.you will be happier.way less stressed.
    Your cooking will be damn near flawless.
    Temps are king when smoking .

When i do my pork butts. I use mustard as a binder then put my rub on overnight.

I go at 225 i add chips two or 3 times.
    When thr butt hits 160 .i remove and wrap .pour a lil apple juice in also.
    Then i go till shes 200 to 205.
    I remove throw them in a empty cooler fill space with towels .close .i remove them around 130 degrees (couple hours)and pull apart.

My sauce is vinegar texas pete brown sugar and mustard. I run vinegar hot sauce heavy .but that isnt for everyone.

I have to use sweet baby rays for my wifes .a wife thats looking for the pepcid is not a happy wife.lol
    Thanks. I have a weber igrill2.

Just threw 2 very cold pork butts in.
    We’ll see how it goes.

Thanks. I have a weber igrill2.

Just threw 2 very cold pork butts in.
    We’ll see how it goes.
    Its all good my 1st butt .i used my webber kettle.
    I seen smoke i looked at the thermometer on the outside.750 degrees .
    I opened the lid to a meteorite .
    It was fully engulfed in flames.
    Black as soot . I was slightly preturbed. Then i drug it to the fire pit and laughed .dumped it watched it burn .

Guess I will know later today if I bit off more than I can chew.

Two 8lb boneless pork butts took roughly 22 and a half hours.

Made the mistake of staying up in hopes it would finish much sooner.

Tired, happy how they came out of the smoker.

Gotta find the energy to clean up now.

Wow! Were you cooking down in the 225-235 degree range?

I know that you put the butts on the grill "very cold" too -- there is a debate as to whether you should take the butts out for 30-45 minutes before you put it on the grill to let it knock some of the chill off.

In any event -- enjoy the feast!!!!

Whatever will you do with all that porcine flesh...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Wow! Were you cooking down in the 225-235 degree range?

I know that you put the butts on the grill "very cold" too -- there is a debate as to whether you should take the butts out for 30-45 minutes before you put it on the grill to let it knock some of the chill off.

In any event -- enjoy the feast!!!!
    I originally set the electric smoker to 225.

Weber igrill probe at the top seemed to indicate temperature was off by 10 degrees, and it was quite cold yesterday. I tried to keep it above 225, probably ranged between 220-240.

Initial verdict is they came out pretty good.

I used the Flatiron barbeque rub on one, and wish I had used more.

I used a Welsh salt and chili spice mix on the other.

The bark on each is, as expected, quite different.

I used apple wood and probably could have added more wood chips, the pork has a decent mild smoky flavour.

Geez I am exhausted having stayed up til 3am before giving up. Still have a lot of cleaning to do.

Weber igrill probe at the top seemed to indicate temperature was off by 10 degrees, and it was quite cold yesterday. I tried to keep it above 225, probably ranged between 220-240.

I used apple wood and probably could have added more wood chips, the pork has a decent mild smoky flavour.

Geez I am exhausted having stayed up til 3am before giving up. Still have a lot of cleaning to do.
    Pulled pork does not require such low temps / long cooks. You can cook at 275 or even 325-350 and it will go much faster. In a blind test, I'm convinced no one could guess the turbo vs. the lower temp.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Pulled pork does not require such low temps / long cooks. You can cook at 275 or even 325-350 and it will go much faster. In a blind test, I'm convinced no one could guess the turbo vs. the lower temp.
    I am far from an expert. The first few times I did butts, I did the same as you fuse -- figured that lower and slower is the name of the game, so as low and as slow as you can go must therefore be best. Have come to agree with freshmanjs' view that somewhere in the 265-285 range works just as well for a Boston butt, and knocks hours off the cook.

You can also wrap in foil or butcher paper around the stall when the bark looks right -- the meat won't take any more smoke flavor in anyway and you can bump up the temp to around 300 if needed (i.e. the "Texas Crutch"). Cooking two large butts in a BGE, I probably average about 13-15 hours from lighting the fire to it having rested long enough to eat.

Again, far from an expert -- plenty of folks on this thread know better than I do.

Also, FWIW, I use the "notes" app on my phone to keep a log of all my smokes. Nothing fancy, just the basics (size of meat, type of rub, time on grill and the grill temp; when stalled/wrapped if doing that; when pulled and its internal temperature). It helps me get a better gauge at timing given the large variable that 15-30 minutes a pound can have on an 18-pound brisket or two big butts.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    New hobby, figure it doesn’t hurt to follow directions (or take advice from experts) until I figure out what the heck I am doing. 😁

I am far from an expert. The first few times I did butts, I did the same as you fuse -- figured that lower and slower is the name of the game, so as low and as slow as you can go must therefore be best. Have come to agree with freshmanjs' view that somewhere in the 265-285 range works just as well for a Boston butt, and knocks hours off the cook.

You can also wrap in foil or butcher paper around the stall when the bark looks right -- the meat won't take any more smoke flavor in anyway and you can bump up the temp to around 300 if needed (i.e. the "Texas Crutch"). Cooking two large butts in a BGE, I probably average about 13-15 hours from lighting the fire to it having rested long enough to eat.

Again, far from an expert -- plenty of folks on this thread know better than I do.

Also, FWIW, I use the "notes" app on my phone to keep a log of all my smokes. Nothing fancy, just the basics (size of meat, type of rub, time on grill and the grill temp; when stalled/wrapped if doing that; when pulled and its internal temperature). It helps me get a better gauge at timing given the large variable that 15-30 minutes a pound can have on an 18-pound brisket or two big butts.
    The weber igrill phone app has a way to save your cooking results which I have never used.

I figure I am so imprecise at this point (e.g. how much rub did I actually use? Would I use more, or less next time?) there’s a lot of learning to be done.

While inevitable (I suppose), the stall is the absolute worst. I don’t need my grilling or smoking to be an exact science, and yet I’d identify a forward looking goal of at least understanding the ballpark.

I had figured 8 pound pork butt, even at 90 minutes a pound, would be 12 hours.
    Maybe that would have been true if I had only smoked one pork butt.

I’m not sure the lesson is total weight, I wasn’t expecting 16 pounds = 24 hours ( and really it was closer to 21, or approaching 22.

My only gripe (aside from rational/irrational fear of going to sleep with something cooking, even outdoors) is I would have gotten a decent night’s sleeps if I had been comfortable with the idea or knowledge that it wasn’t going to finish in the middle of the night.

I only real thing I blew is the finish.
    When I used my gas grill to “smoke” a pork butt ij the past, I wrapped them in towels and foil and threw them in a cooler for a few hours.

The real question is what to tackle next.
    Ribs?
    Chicken?
    Not sure I want to smoke burgers or steak.

The only time I tried low and slow on my gas grill with beef brisket was a disaster, I’m not eager to repeat that.

If folks have recommendations on commercially available rubs (or recipes) without sugar, let me know.

I will say I am quite pleased with the Flatiron bbq rub. The Welsh salt/spice mix turned out way better than I hoped, although the bark is quite salty (duh).

I figure I am so imprecise at this point (e.g. how much rub did I actually use? Would I use more, or less next time?) there’s a lot of learning to be done.
    My friends and family make fun of me because I declare every smoke "an experiment." But it's true. And therein lies the fun!