Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I do both the exact same way. Often I will cut the skin/fat off, rub underneath, and then cook with it back in place. 18 lbs...mmmm. That's an all day (or all night and half the morning) smoke. Must have come off a nice sized hog. (I love to get a whole picnic, which is both the shoulder and the butt. Invite a crowd after COVID passes and have fun with that one day.)
    Actually it looks like it might be a while picnic — it has a vertical and a horizontal bone. But not sure, have only some butts (or packer cut brisket, which has no bones):

3DBB1407-FCCD-48A8-91E3-B55ADDB9F627.jpg

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Actually it looks like it might be a while picnic — it has a vertical and a horizontal bone. But not sure, have only some butts (or packer cut brisket, which has no bones):

Any ideas?
    I'm still happy/thankful you grabbed a shoulder instead of the two butts you mentioned you wanted earlier today.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I'm still happy/thankful you grabbed a shoulder instead of the two butts you mentioned you wanted earlier today.
    Two butts, and a milkshake (IPA). Ready for the weekend.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Any ideas?
    Yep! That makes more sense. Pick a night when you have nothing to do the next day except nap. And hit up DD for some suggestions to keep your taste buds satiated. And enjoy at least a 15 hour smoke. (And as stated, invite lots of friends.)
    By the way, if you haven't done so yet, look into injecting that hunk of meat. I love to use fruit/citric juices mixed with a few spices.

Yer on call now to guide OPK through his challenge.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Yep! That makes more sense. Pick a night when you have nothing to do the next day except nap. And hit up DD for some suggestions to keep your taste buds satiated. And enjoy at least a 15 hour smoke. (And as stated, invite lots of friends.)
    By the way, if you haven't done so yet, look into injecting that hunk of meat. I love to use fruit/citric juices mixed with a few spices.

Both of your guidance is appreciated!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    PS..."Shoulder" "Butt" "Picnic" gets confusing. And I may have it wrong, but so do lots of places that I get my meat at.
    I actually think a "whole shoulder" includes both the picnic and the butt, vs vice versa. But either way, it tastes good. And either way, the butt (which is the prime part) is included.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I've noted some of the outstanding beers OPK has sampled. He needs little to no help from me. But, as you said, I'm on call and I'm here to help.

PS..."Shoulder" "Butt" "Picnic" gets confusing. And I may have it wrong, but so do lots of places that I get my meat at.
    I actually think a "whole shoulder" includes both the picnic and the butt, vs vice versa. But either way, it tastes good. And either way, the butt (which is the prime part) is included.
    I understand the butt to be the top shoulder muscle, the shoulder to be the lower muscle down towards the hock, and the picnic to be both. But certainly can be wrong. (Much more familiar with the flat, point/deckle, And overall packer cut of a brisket which I have done plenty of times — have only done butts with pork).

I've noted some of the outstanding beers OPK has sampled. He needs little to no help from me. But, as you said, I'm on call and I'm here to help.
    Can always use advice and recommendations. I tend to fall back on what I know I like as opposed to sampling (which is odd, considering in other food/drink endeavors I love to experiment).

I understand the butt to be the top shoulder muscle, the shoulder to be the lower muscle down towards the hock, and the picnic to be both. (Much more familiar with the flat, point/deckle, packer cut of a brisket — have only done butts with pork0.

Can always use advice and recommendations. I tend to fall back on what I know I like as opposed to sampling (which is odd, considering in other food/drink endeavors I love to experiment).
    I'm probably in the 75% sampling/25% known entity camp WRT beers. Greatly enjoy trying different brews/styles from breweries I know are good, yet, always happy to have an old favorite or three (but not on the same night).

And enjoy at least a 15 hour smoke.
    What are the general thoughts here about foil wrapping to reduce the stall?

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I wrap (usually butcher paper, not pork) at the stall when the bark is good. I do it more to keep the bark right than to push through the stall, although it does pick up the temp.

I wrap mine in foil once I've hit 150. At that point, the smoke no longer does anything to affect the flavor. (No longer able to penetrate)

I wrap mine in foil once I've hit 150. At that point, the smoke no longer does anything to affect the flavor. (No longer able to penetrate)
    And, at the risk of being a heretic, once you get to 145-150 or so there is no difference between finishing in the smoker and finishing in an oven for that very reason.

And, at the risk of being a heretic, once you get to 145-150 or so there is no difference between finishing in the smoker and finishing in an oven for that very reason.
    Except for the fun of staying attentive for hours wondering how your fire is doing. (Which is the best!)

Except for the fun of staying attentive for hours wondering how your fire is doing. (Which is the best!)
    Amen to that. Besides, it makes your family think you're really slaving. Do you unwrap at the end to recrisp the bark? That's been the problem I have with wrapping. It's done much faster, but the bark ends up soft.

Pulled it out of the freezer to try this weekend. Have never injected before. As a true PitMaster, are you a committed fan? If so, does it depend on the meat or cut?

... it makes your family think you're really slaving. ...
    We're wise to you. Anything that keeps the pitmaster occupied and within sight is also a good thing. No wandering off to begin other ill-advised projects, sir.

I am going old school and bbq-ing some old fashioned chicken this weekend. Heat is forcing me to revisit the classics.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Pulled it out of the freezer to try this weekend. Have never injected before. As a true PitMaster, are you a committed fan? If so, does it depend on the meat or cut?
    At home I don't always inject, but in competition I do. I usually use a fruit juice, like peach, as the base.

At home I don't always inject, but in competition I do. I usually use a fruit juice, like peach, as the base.
    Thanks! I will have to give it a try, though not sure if I will get to a store before I smoke this one.

Trying something new tomorrow. Harris Teeter had an amazing $2/lb brisket special, so I got one. I always just rub and smoke them, but I've decided to brine this one overnight. I've never tried it with anything other than poultry before, so this will be a fun experiment. It's going on my stand-up smoker tomorrow, and I expect for it to be about an 8 hour cook. (It's a small one, only 5 pounds, just the flat.)