Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast

DBR Podcast Episode 64: Grayson Allen and the Ongoing UNC Saga

Merry Christmas from the podcast crew! We'll be back soon to preview the initial ACC slate, because for now we have too many other things to discuss.

Links:

iTunes
    Google Play
    Soundcloud
    Stitcher

Timestamps courtesy of master editor Jason Evans:

0:10 Welcome! Sam, Donald, and Jason have a Christmas gift for you… a new podcast!
    2:15 Donald attended the Tenn. St game and gives us a quick review of some of the changes Cameron has undergone recently
    5:00 Time to quickly talk about the actual games against Tenn State and Elon, two games where the post-exam malaise really stood out
    8:50 We continue to avoid talking about Grayson Allen, but still express real concerns about team chemistry. Luke Kennard’s post-Elon game comments scare the heck out of us
    11:30 Jason is worried… are we cursed? How can we be this good and yet this worried?
    15:45 Sam says it is time to talk about Grayson Allen! Did we really procrastinate for 15 minutes before we got to this?
    18:45 Donald says the media deserves more than a little bit of blame for blowing this out of proportion
    21:45 Jason talks about Grayson’s reaction on the bench and that Grayson knew at that moment how much he had just lost and how this tripping incident will stick with him FOREVER!
    28:00 We all feel K was right to impose an “indefinite suspension” and we hope the team will come together and bond over their collective struggles
    37:20 Amateur psychiatrist time… we think the “phantom foul” controversy may have caused Grayson to boil over against Elon
    43:40 Time for UNC and the latest on the cheating scandal. 24 words have sealed Carolina’s fate
    51:25 We can’t believe the hubris of the UNC AD for his pathetic defense and Jason just rips him, “Bubba Cunningham, have you no shame?!?!?!”
    53:45 Donald can’t believe how long this whole thing is taking and feels it is so unfair to current Carolina students and players who will bear the brunt of this punishment
    59:30 Jason says harsh penalties are coming and Donald says UNC is going to sue the NCAA
    1:04:00 Time to wrap things up with Christmas presents for the Duke team. Jason gifts health to the team, Donald’s present is Luke Kennard continuing to shoot lights out all season long, and Sam’s gift is a massive blow out of Virginia Tech to set the tone for the ACC season
    1:08:15 Jason brings it all full circle, he reflects on the last time it felt like Duke was cursed… and how that season turned out
    1:10:05 Sam says good bye as the Duke band plays us out

I might have screamed into the mike once or twice
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

A new podcast!

Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

The discussion about UNCheaters is informative and easier to get my head around than all the different posts i've read.
    I'm not sure i agree about Grayson's suspension though, i'm not entirely certain he deserves anything more than sitting on the bench at the start of the VTech game, maybe miss the whole 1st half, not even the whole game. The real key is whether K feels Grayson has grown from this experience and is in a place where he will be able to avoid retaliation in the future. If Grayson shows that he hasn't grown or can't control his reactions, then he deserves to sit until he can. I think y'all are right though, if he trips someone again this year, his collegiate career will probably be over, even though he has never hurt anyone even in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    The discussion about UNCheaters is informative and easier to get my head around than all the different posts i've read.
    Thanks. I tried to make it really clear by using that 24 word quote from the NCAA ANOA and then talking about what it meant. The fact that the ANOA clearly says UNC used the scheme to keep at-risk football and men's basketball players eligible is about as simple as I can make this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I'm not sure i agree about Grayson's suspension though, i'm not entirely certain he deserves anything more than sitting on the bench at the start of the VTech game, maybe miss the whole 1st half, not even the whole game. The real key is whether K feels Grayson has grown from this experience and is in a place where he will be able to avoid retaliation in the future. If Grayson shows that he hasn't grown or can't control his reactions, then he deserves to sit until he can. I think y'all are right though, if he trips someone again this year, his collegiate career will probably be over, even though he has never hurt anyone even in the slightest.
    You are right and if this was an isolated incident, I would agree, but we are looking at a pattern of behavior that could hurt opposing players (even if it has not). I think the pattern deserves a meaningful (meaning you sit at least one game) response from K.

-Jason "but the folks calling for a 5 game suspension have lost their minds, I think" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Great podcast,as usual. Jason, how do you really feel about Bubba Cunningham? 😀

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Great podcast,as usual. Jason, how do you really feel about Bubba Cunningham? 😀
    As much as we ask him, I feel like we never get to the bottom of Jason's true feelings about people in the UNC administration. I will continue trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    As much as we ask him, I feel like we never get to the bottom of Jason's true feelings about people in the UNC administration. I will continue trying.
    Keep fighting the good fight. He'll open up one of these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    That's about how you sounded.

When it comes to his true feelings on UNC, Jason's a tough cookie to crumble. We won't rest until he opens up and shares what he really thinks.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Personally, I love the UNC administration. They took a problem which could have been resolved by now, including limited sanctions, and turned it into a long-running sleetstorm whose brooding omnipresence sits over Chpel Hill like a mammoth, levitating sheet cake of dung, just waiting for the pull of nature to bring it crashing down upon all that is baby blue.

You can't fight gravity, Carol and Bubba. Gravity ain't just a good idea -- it's the law. But thanks for stretching this out for our enjoyment.

"but the folks calling for a 5 game suspension have lost their minds, I think"
    I agree that from a purely disciplinary standpoint, five games would be excessive. Heck, Chris Paul only got one game, and he literally punched a guy in the nuts.

That being said, it wouldn't shock me if K gave Grayson a multi-game sitdown (I could easily see three games), just to give him the time and space to work on his frame of mind.

I look forward to this podcast every week! Have you guys ever thought about asking for questions as a new segment at the end?

Keep up the great work!

Quote Originally Posted by somf4eva View Post
    I look forward to this podcast every week! Have you guys ever thought about asking for questions as a new segment at the end?
    Do you mean DBR folks would submit questions (like here on the board) and we would answer them on the podcast?

Sure, we can do that. We are open to any interaction folks want to have. Just don't ask Sam about his love life... it ain't pretty.

-Jason "un-oh, I just went there... lets just say that Sam, Donald, and I know things we should not repeat about each other and leave it at that" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Personally, I love the UNC administration. They took a problem which could have been resolved by now, including limited sanctions, and turned it into a long-running sleetstorm whose brooding omnipresence sits over Chpel Hill like a mammoth, levitating sheet cake of dung...

"Levitating Sheet Cake of Dung"

Great name for an album. Now who's the band, Moby Grape?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xEbbyKJ0mk

And whats with the simile wrapped in a metaphor? Show off.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 12-28-2016 at 03:40 PM.
    The University of North Carolina
    Where CHEATING is a Way of Life

Great stuff, but what's up with the French pronunciation of "Elon"? 😳

Do you mean DBR folks would submit questions (like here on the board) and we would answer them on the podcast?

Sure, we can do that. We are open to any interaction folks want to have. Just don't ask Sam about his love life... it ain't pretty.

-Jason "un-oh, I just went there... lets just say that Sam, Donald, and I know things we should not repeat about each other and leave it at that" Evans
    Exactly. I apologize for not checking my post.

Many podcasts I listen to feature a segment at the end when the hosts answer questions. I sometimes think of questions for you guys when I am listening and it would be cool to hear your take.

Quote Originally Posted by somf4eva View Post
    Exactly. I apologize for not checking my post.

Many podcasts I listen to feature a segment at the end when the hosts answer questions. I sometimes think of questions for you guys when I am listening and it would be cool to hear your take.
    PM any of the three of us... we will gladly answer any question the audience has. I would be fun!

PM any of the three of us... we will gladly answer any question the audience has. I would be fun!
    I'm not making the same blanket promise that Jason does, but it would be fun to get ideas for the community. Early on, we tried a formal system for asking questions and getting participation, but I think the way we set it up was too ambitious and we didn't maintain it.

If you've got ideas, we're listening.

I'm not making the same blanket promise that Jason does, but it would be fun to get ideas for the community. Early on, we tried a formal system for asking questions and getting participation, but I think the way we set it up was too ambitious and we didn't maintain it.

If you've got ideas, we're listening.
    I was PM'd a question yesterday... let the flood of inquiries begin!!