Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Jeff Capel uses this opportunity (after today of course) to play a deeper bench giving our role players valuable minutes and experience that will help us out a ton in March. We may lose some games in this period, but Coach K will be back to finish developing this team, and by then we will have a deeper bench to work with.

I was looking long and hard for this thread to bump it yesterday... had no luck. Thought perhaps even our board had lost its optimism!

We still have a ton of talent and the best coach in history will be back shortly. Those who bet against us, do so at their peril!

Let's go Duke!!!

I'll admit that my optimism has taken a bit of a beating of late. But I also think that this Duke team has nowhere to go but up and our potential is huge. Hoping we start the upswing in about 2 and half hours...

I am highly optimistic. Top talent level at every position and a great head coach and associate head coach.

There is sooo much basketball left to play (eight more games this month!). We've just scratched the surface.

When, in years to come, minstrels sing the Ballad of Duke Men's Basketball 2016-2017 (cumbersome title, I know), the Trials of December will be part of the glorious story of the climb to the championship. What's the glory of cruising through the entire season as the clear number 1 team. There has to be an Act 1 (the lofty expectations and strong start with signs of trouble), Act II (the litany of woes that seem to build an impassible mountain in front of Our Heroes), and Act III (the inspiring rise, conquering all challenges, ending in eternal glory).

1. Coach K's surgery goes well and all of the injuries and challenges bond the "Band of Brothers."
    2. Grayson sacrifices his scoring (somewhat) to concentrate more on being a penetrator and distributor and averages seven plus assists a game upon his return through early April. Frank follows Grayson's lead and our collective ball movement, scoring, and offensive efficiency improve. The offensive attack becomes a finely tuned thing of beauty rather than a bunch of talented individuals.
    3. Jayson continues his improved play and Harry (as we have seen flashes of) becomes dominant within the next month.
    4. Javin and Marques find a way to be defensive sparks off the bench.

Anyone bump this thread up over night? There's always room on the bandwagon...

Just thought I might bump this thread in light of last night's game and this morning's knee-jerk reactions.

As ever, we all know our team isn't perfect and that there's plenty of room to criticize. But on this thread, we only post things that we are excited about, optimistic about, and our overly absurd positive outlook for our favorite basketball team. Think of it as that skit on SNL about Da Bears. Please, there are hundreds of other threads for nit-picking, kvetching, and discussing referees, Jay Bilas, and missed opportunities. This is for lionizing Tre Stones, building up Carey, and expecting Jack White to knock down some jumpers.

I sure don't envy VaTech this weekend! K's squad is gonna be loaded for bear.
    Let's go Duke!

Great idea and I'll say this. Tre Jones has the heart of a warrior. He never gives up and by the games end he is visibly worn out. As in the past, I'm looking for Coach K to come up with a few surprises. Like zoning at times. He's done this before and against teams that beat us with penetration this could be a good weapon to have in our arsenal. Tre and Vernon are playing like All Americans and can use some help. I'm looking for Cassius to step up and be that 3rd player on offense. He can drive the ball and has been a pretty good outside shooter.

That's all I got right now.

GoDuke!

PS; We still got that comeback win against the cheats and have a butt whipping waiting for them on March 7th, 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Great idea and I'll say this. Tre Jones has the heart of a warrior. He never gives up and by the games end he is visibly worn out. As in the past, I'm looking for Coach K to come up with a few surprises. Like zoning at times. He's done this before and against teams that beat us with penetration this could be a good weapon to have in our arsenal. Tre and Vernon are playing like All Americans and can use some help. I'm looking for Cassius to step up and be that 3rd player on offense. He can drive the ball and has been a pretty good outside shooter.

That's all I got right now.

GoDuke!

PS; We still got that comeback win against the cheats and have a butt whipping waiting for them on March 7th, 2020.
    Also, really liked Tre's comments at the presser--no, it's not that we are young, because we have played a lot of games now. It's that we have to come out ready." Sounds like someone who is going to learn from this.

Let's go with the obvious ones my apologies if these have been mentioned elsewhere:

Duke is 22-4 and 12-3 in conference, tied for 1st in the loss column. Probably well above most folks' expectations for this team at the start of the year

Duke teams with more losses that have made trips to the FF: '88, '89, '90, '91, '94, '01 (tied with four losses),'04, '10, '15 (tied)

This team started 3 freshmen and a sophomore last evening.

Road loss to a team that is fighting to be worthy of NCAA inclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    This team started 3 freshmen and a sophomore last evening.
    This explains last night loss. Duke played a man down.

I wouldn't swap places with anyone else in the country.