Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke 72, Elon 61 Post Game Thread

Discuss the game here.
    Bob Green

Thank goodness Christmas is coming so the Grayson think pieces and hot takes will disappear with all the noise this weekend. Break from school and basketball will do some good. Once this team gels it should be special but it's going to take time. Good to see Giles make a couple of plays in the 2nd half. Whatever is going on between Bilden's ears needs to be fixed he's an important part of this team's future success

Half time with Jay and Seth is brutal. Jay called acc to suspend 5 games, Seth thinks the acc didn't suspend last season because it Duke.
    Brutal...all self inflicted.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon View Post
    Half time with Jay and Seth is brutal. Jay called acc to suspend 5 games, Seth thinks the acc didn't suspend last season because it Duke.
    I agree with everything Jay Williams said. Seth was over the top and I am glad Rece Davis called him on it.

One overarching word: Disappointing.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon View Post
    Well Jay's checks are signed by a UNC grad so he has to go over the top. Grayson will probably get 2 games and do community service.

Let's see what K says please, anybody watching the presser?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

I think Grayson needs to be punished. But I also want to know what was going through his mind and what he was saying when he threw that tantrum...he was either justifying what he did, upset with himself, or saying the call was unjustified. I'm sure he knows the backlash that will come from this, considering everything last year.

I hope K sets the penalty, not the league

Giles will be good just give him time...he needs to regain trust in his knees. Any player would be hesitant after having two major knee surgeries and a third minor one. He definitely made progress today.

Grayson's our best PG and had some great assists that helped jump spark the offense when he came back. Luke remains our best player. Tatum was a beast. Amile was a bit quiet. Jackson struggled but looks like he is recovering from minor sprain as he just doesn't have the same lift as before and announcers mentioned something about managing his minutes. Matt Jones played well especially on defense had at least 3 steals. Bolden and Chase will just not get much playing time against small teams that are either quick or rely on the 3 point shot.

VT will be a challenge but I don't think our guys will come out flat as we did these past two games as they will respect VT. We should have at least 2 full practices prior to the game. I think Giles will get his first dunk against them also!

Anyone know any anger management doctors or reputable mental health psychiatrists in the Durham area? Grayson could use some help...

Tatum needs to learn when to pass. He was too much of a black hole.

I guess Jason Williams didn't catch this game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdkaw9Hw0UA

I might make Grayson sit out the first half of a game but that's it. Did the ACC suspend Chris Paul for his Johnny Cage nut shots?

Quote Originally Posted by Hancock 4 Duke View Post
    I think Grayson needs to be punished. But I also want to know what was going through his mind and what he was saying when he threw that tantrum...he was either justifying what he did, upset with himself, or saying the call was unjustified. I'm sure he knows the backlash that will come from this, considering everything last year.
    You can read his lips...he was mad at the call. That was an embarrassment to himself and Duke University. K should not have played him in the second half and he should be suspended. Even if he was antagonized you have to rise above it. He deserves all the backlash he gets.

Elon is a fundamentally sound team. It's a good thing Duke shot 16 more free throws, because Elon won on the boards and shot better from three point range. Matt Jones has taken a lot of heat the past several weeks, but I thought he had a sound game.

Quote Originally Posted by 6th Man View Post
    You can read his lips...he was mad at the call. That was an embarrassment to himself and Duke University. K should not have played him in the second half and he should be suspended. Even if he was antagonized you have to rise above it. He deserves all the backlash he gets.
    Couldn't agree more. I also can't help but wonder why K hasn't taken a tougher stance with him. When is enough enough?

What's the point of these games if we're going to give Giles and Bolden less than 20 minutes over these two games? It's not going to get easier to find them minutes against ACC competition. I know both look rough and rusty. I don't care. These were a great opportunity to let them play off some of that rust. Instead? Ugh.

And Allen shouldn't have been on the floor the second half. Jay might be over the top, but the idea that Grayson needs punishment for this given his past actions is, IMO, dead right.

I don't think I have ever felt as sad about a single event in a Duke game.

1. Duke looked lost tonight after the Grayson event. Duke should have won by 30+ based on talent. Kudos to Elon for playing a disciplined game but the height/talent disparity was huge.

2. Grayson is a great player and, by all accounts, a great kid. I was so distressed to see him trip/kick his opponent. I was very concerned about his emotional reaction on the bench. This could be a season changer for Grayson and the team.

I've coached at a low level. I've mentored students in high school, college, law school, and seminary. My unscientific observation is that some young people are just wired wrong in certain areas. Otherwise good people react in an instinctive, and unacceptable, manner to some stimuli.

I'm worried about Grayson and this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Hancock 4 Duke View Post
    It was an apparently incongruous reaction, you would think from the way he reacted that it happened because he lost his balance and he was frustrated. The replay looked like an intentional trip, so unless there's some energy beam that lifted his leg against his will I don't see a basis for his attitude.