About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

Streaming content to TV help

My father is a big UVA fan, and he'd like to be able to watch UVA's games on ESPN3 on his TV instead of his much smaller computer monitor. He's got Xfinity (i.e., Comcast) service and "dumb" TV. He's getting the games on the computer, so he doesn't need Sling for the ESPN access - he just needs a way to use his wi-fi to move the game stream from the computer to the TV.

Will a normal Chrome stick do this? Or Apple TV? I haven't done a serious investigation into any of the streaming devices, but a cursory look isn't giving me the info I want.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    My father is a big UVA fan, and he'd like to be able to watch UVA's games on ESPN3 on his TV instead of his much smaller computer monitor. He's got Xfinity (i.e., Comcast) service and "dumb" TV. He's getting the games on the computer, so he doesn't need Sling for the ESPN access - he just needs a way to use his wi-fi to move the game stream from the computer to the TV.

Will a normal Chrome stick do this? Or Apple TV? I haven't done a serious investigation into any of the streaming devices, but a cursory look isn't giving me the info I want.
    Here is a list of supported platforms for their app.
    http://www.espn.com/watchespn/apps
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Mountaindevil's dongle may work.

Kidding...

When you say "dumb" tv, do you mean the big box tv, or an LCD/LED that isn't a smart tv?

In other words, what signal input will his TV take? HDMI?

I use a chromecast plugged into an HDMI port on my TV. Pull the game up in the WatchESPN app on my android phone and tap the google cast icon to cast the game. The chromecast has watchespn built in, so it just takes over and streams the game. Works like a champ and was really easy to set up. You could do the same thing with an inexpensive android tablet if he doesn't have an android phone. Not sure about the minimum android version has built in google cast. I'm pretty sure it works as far back as Lollipop though.

The only complaint I have is that it's really hard to fast forward or rewind accurately with the app when watching replays.

Quote Originally Posted by jacone21 View Post
    I use a chromecast plugged into an HDMI port on my TV. Pull the game up in the WatchESPN app on my android phone and tap the google cast icon to cast the game. The chromecast has watchespn built in, so it just takes over and streams the game. Works like a champ and was really easy to set up. You could do the same thing with an inexpensive android tablet if he doesn't have an android phone. Not sure about the minimum android version has built in google cast. I'm pretty sure it works as far back as Lollipop though.

The only complaint I have is that it's really hard to fast forward or rewind accurately with the app when watching replays.
    We have a chromecast and an iPad. Just change the input on the tv and hit the little chromecast button on the WatchESPN app and it works perfectly. I watched every Duke football game on the big screen using this technique.

Amazon Firestick works the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    We have a chromecast and an iPad. Just change the input on the tv and hit the little chromecast button on the WatchESPN app and it works perfectly. I watched every Duke football game on the big screen using this technique.
    Good! I have a Chromecast stick I haven't installed yet, but plan to next time I need to watch a game that's not televised. Oh, wait, that'll be next season. Even the Elon game is on ESPN2.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Actually all you have to do is run a HDMI Cable from the computer to the TV. That's it. As long as the TV has a HDMI port that is. I watched one of the early season Duke games that way. Worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Actually all you have to do is run a HDMI Cable from the computer to the TV. That's it. As long as the TV has a HDMI port that is. I watched one of the early season Duke games that way. Worked fine.
    And the PC, of course...

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Mountaindevil's dongle may work.

Kidding...

When you say "dumb" tv, do you mean the big box tv, or an LCD/LED that isn't a smart tv?
    What huh?

Oh, yes. Rumors are true; this is precisely what the Google Chrome Cast is designed for. Cast from your phone/tablet/computer to your television through your HDMI input. Depending on your internet connection and the quality of the broadcast (which is generally pretty good, save a handful of Duke football games two years ago) someone walking into the room would not detect a difference in the quality of the picture.

Love Chromecast. I was an early adopter and couldn't believe what I was getting for under $40.

Roku does a beautiful job of getting WatchESPN, too.

I like Roku because I don't need another device in use (like Chromecast). It also has a nice interface that is friendly to those who aren't technologically gifted. The hardest part is helping the user understand how to change the input on the TV, which is an issue for all of the options.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    My dad is technologically challenged, but we've managed to help him figure out how to watch ESPN3 games, which is a minor miracle. Sounds like I can install the Chrome cast for him and give him just a couple more steps to watch his games from his recliner instead of his office.

I'll let you guys know if we have any trouble making this happen.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

I use the Amazon fire stick plugged into an HDMI port on my 'dumb tv'. The cool thing about the firestick is that if your Dad subscribes to Amazon Prime then he can get Amazon Prime Video for free. Between Netflix, the ESPN app and the Amazon Prime Video content, I have a lot of options on my TV (perhaps too many!)

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    My dad is technologically challenged, but we've managed to help him figure out how to watch ESPN3 games, which is a minor miracle. Sounds like I can install the Chrome cast for him and give him just a couple more steps to watch his games from his recliner instead of his office.

I'll let you guys know if we have any trouble making this happen.
    Super userfriendly. Once you figure it out, it takes just a click or two to get the action from your phone to your television.