Parish: Tatum #1 Draft pick, 5 from Duke in 1st round

"The 6-foot-8 small forward has good size for his position and is an elite scorer thanks to a mid-range game that already looks NBA ready. He's a safe pick but also one with tremendous upside. I really, really like him -- "

http://www.cbssports.com/college-bas...aft-prospects/

Is Lorenzo Romar the worst in-game coach?

He'll have 3 back-to-back-to-back lottery picks (including Michael Porter, if he's not smart enough to enroll at Washington next year) with no tournament appearances (no, the NIT doesn't count...)

I heard this on podcast yesterday: "Romar is like Calipari, minus the winning". Ouch...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Meanwhile NBADraft.net has the Dukies going:

Giles 7
    Tatum 9
    Bolden 14
    Allen 25
    Jackson 27
    Kennard 30

And DraftExpress says:
    Tatum 6
    Giles 13
    Bolden 16
    Allen 27
    They have Jackson as the #43 prospect but do not expect him to come out this season.

Perhaps worth noting that the Draft Express rankings have not been updated since December 5th, so they do not reflect what appeared to be a fully healthy Tatum against Florida and UNLV. NBADraft.net updated their mock yesterday.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

My Take

From a Duke not national perspective

It's all conjecture at this point,
    but it sure will be fun to watch it develop.

It's clearly a small and incomplete sample,
    but based on what we've seen so far,
    If the draft were today, this could be how
    the Dukies might be perceived.

1.Grayson, larger body of work to support this position, Can be a one man highlight reel when he kicks it into high gear,
    2.Tatum, said previously; (Tatum is a stud, plays within the game,heady ball player, does it all, freshman only in academics.) 1&2 here cold flip flop.
    3.Giles, this could go up based on on court performance and softening the NBA concern on durability.
    4 Kennard, we're seeing one really great sophomore year so far, he's earned it, really smart player, could make a case for a 3 position here too.
    5.Bolden, based on size and NBA potential, hasn't made the college adjustment yet though, large upside potential here.
    6.Jackson, this almost seems a bit unfair, it's more physical size and sampling related, he really has been a freshman bright spot, may just need more seasoning.
    Let's go DUKE !!!

I know that I am bucking the entire DBR assessment of our players trend around here, but I don't see the OAD potential for Bolden at this point. His body is O.K. IMO, but I haven't seen much otherwise. That is all. Over and out.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    I know that I am bucking the entire DBR assessment of our players trend around here, but I don't see the OAD potential for Bolden at this point. His body is O.K. IMO, but I haven't seen much otherwise. That is all. Over and out.
    I agree, but I think we need to wait and see how much he develops once he's completely back from his injury before we form final opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I think we need to wait and see....
    IMO, that's an appropriate statement for this entire subject. Especially hard to project a kid who has yet to play college hoops and was basically a OAD in HS.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I agree, but I think we need to wait and see how much he develops once he's completely back from his injury before we form final opinions.
    What? How can you say that about Bolden? He has alreasy played parts of three games; I think it is time to call a duck a duck.

All I know is this roster is littered with talent, and about to be the beneficiary of the NUMBER ONE RECRUIT from this year.

It is almost embarrassing how good this team has the potential to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    What? How can you say that about Bolden? He has alreasy played parts of three games; I think it is time to call a duck a duck.

All I know is this roster is littered with talent, and about to be the beneficiary of the NUMBER ONE RECRUIT from this year.

It is almost embarrassing how good this team has the potential to be.
    Bolden is going to be competing for playing time more now, than anytime previously that he has ever experienced.
    It will be interesting to see how he progresses, with healthy 5 on 5 contact practices he will have that opportunity to
    show what he can do.

On another thread one poster stated, (I can't find the exact post,) called it "an embarrassment of riches"..
    It's a nice set of problems for the staff to have to negotiate, to be sure.

To stop and think of how well the team has played to date, it's almost incomprehensible, how good they can be.
    Pass the popcorn, please!
    Let's go DUKE !!!

I believe the announcers said last week that Coach K stated Bolden has done nothing for weeks. I took that as no cardio, no running, and certainly no practice. He has looked out of shape.

He should be in decent to good condition by the ACC opener 12/31. It may take all of January for him and Giles to be commanding starter-level minutes though.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Meanwhile NBADraft.net has the Dukies going:

Giles 7
    Tatum 9
    Bolden 14
    Allen 25
    Jackson 27
    Kennard 30

And DraftExpress says:
    Tatum 6
    Giles 13
    Bolden 16
    Allen 27
    They have Jackson as the #43 prospect but do not expect him to come out this season.

Perhaps worth noting that the Draft Express rankings have not been updated since December 5th, so they do not reflect what appeared to be a fully healthy Tatum against Florida and UNLV. NBADraft.net updated their mock yesterday.
    Ummm, very interesting update (yesterday) to nbadraft.net mocks. They've got:

Tatum #7
    Giles #10
    Bolden #15 - a bit surprising to me that he is sticking in the late lottery based on what we have seen so far...
    Kennard #25
    Allen #34 ... wait for it ... IN 2018!!! Wow... if this reflects the NBA front office perception, Grayson had some work to do - demeanor- and play-wise. I guess we all know this already, but this sure supports it. Losing his cool again this year could be catastrophic for his draft prospects. But I'd still be shocked if Grayson does not make himself eligible for the 2017 draft.

Others of note in 2018 draft:
    Carter #3
    Bamba #5
    Knox #6
    Trent #12
    F. Jackson #26 (if I were doing a mock, I'd probably swap Trent and Jackson's places but maybe I should see Trent play before I decide!)

(Draftexpress hasn't been updated since 12/5.)
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    He'll have 3 back-to-back-to-back lottery picks (including Michael Porter, if he's not smart enough to enroll at Washington next year) with no tournament appearances (no, the NIT doesn't count...)

I heard this on podcast yesterday: "Romar is like Calipari, minus the winning". Ouch...
    Romar has been at UW for a long time, he's lucky their fanbase isn't like UK's.