Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Y'all are going to be amazed at this. I have a theory that came to me just the other day regarding the sorta minor continuity errors in Rogue One and A New Hope.

Prepare to have your...

I think the two movies were made at different times. I don't mean like a year or two apart. I mean, I think they may have been made 20 or 30 years apart... heck, one dude told me it might have been almost 40 years. I find that sorta hard to believe though because Darth Vader sure looked the same age in both movies.

And if you really want to freak out, there's a rumor that A New Hope was made before Rogue One. I can't full explain it, but if that is true it could explain some of these small, not easy to spot, inconveniences in how the two films mesh together. What's more, if these crazy rumors I have heard are true, it might also explain why Leia looked a little glassy eyed and weird at the end of Rogue One. Someone told me they thought she was stoned out of her mind in that scene, but I think there was some special effects stuff going on there instead.

-Jason "I'm going to head over to Snopes to see if they have heard anything about this insane rumor" Evans
    Kudos for Jedi Master level snark :-)

And everyone who watches crime procedurals know that they should have some holes in their story or they've collaborated on a cover story. ("Which tire" notwithstanding...)

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    And everyone who watches crime procedurals know that they should have some holes in their story or they've collaborated on a cover story. ("Which tire" notwithstanding...)

-jk
    Actually, small inconsistencies are quite common in literary and screen epics.

There are numerous scholars who have used the many inconsistencies on Homer's Iliad and Odyssey to "prove" that the great epics were originally oral compositions. (redacted)

But the best analogy to what we've been debating here is another popular cinematic masterpiece -- Citizen Kane.

Everybody knows the great problem with Welles' storytelling -- no one is in the room to hear Kane's last word. On screen, he gasps "Rosebud" and drops the globe. It shatters on the floor ... THEN a nurse rushes into the room check Kane, then covers him with a sheet.

That raises the question, Who heard him say Rosebud, which drives the plot of the movie?

Well, there is a throwaway line later in the film where Raymond (the Butler) claims that Kane said the word when his second wife left and adds "that other time too." That could be taken to mean that the Butler heard his last word. Was he in the room what Kane died? I guess anything is possible, but Welles doesn't show it -- and it sure looks like the room is empty when the nurse rushes in. On the other hand, the reporters only talk to Raymond late in their search to discover the meaning of Rosebud.

Either way, it is a very sloppy and inconsistent moment in a film that is often touted as the greatest of all time.

I guess Rogue One can survive an inconsistency or two (not that anybody is going to tout it as the greatest film of all time).
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 01-12-2017 at 08:09 AM. Reason: removed religious content

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    ... I guess Rogue One can survive an inconsistency or two (not that anybody is going to tout it as the greatest film of all time).
    But it is the immediate prequel to the greatest movie of all time ...

Well, no mater what they do with the size of her role, something will have to be done. She can't just disappear... right? The story must explain her absence.
    Realizing that she had murdered the one true love of her life she leaps into the open maw of the Sarlac Pit Monster so she can spend eternity with her beloved Jabba.

Well, no mater what they do with the size of her role, something will have to be done. She can't just disappear... right? The story must explain her absence.
    Simplest and most touching thing might be Luke to feel a terrible disturbance in the force and find out the terrible news: General Organa died from a heart attack.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Simplest and most touching thing might be Luke to feel a terrible disturbance in the force and find out the terrible news: General Organa died from a heart attack.
    This is the best single idea I have heard.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    This is the best single idea I have heard.
    Agreed, that would be wonderful, especially since it would echo Leia's own reaction to Han's death.

Apart from how her absence will impact the story, another question that comes to mind is: in Star Wars, our heroes usually shuffle off this mortal coil in such a way as to render funerals impractical. I think Vader is the only precedent for a main character dying and leaving a body behind. Do they leave Leia's death as just an offscreen acknowledgment, or do they include a more forceful memorial to Leia and/or Carrie Fisher - a service, a graveside scene, an epitaph, etc.?

Also, for any who are interested in a discussion of cuts and reshoots, check out this video. Near the end, it includes a supercut of the trailer footage that never made it to the movie proper, which quite highlights that this was once indeed a different movie.

I still think this is how it should be (and should have been) done:

https://youtu.be/MDUrw7j0UA4

Quote Originally Posted by IrishDevil View Post
    Apart from how her absence will impact the story, another question that comes to mind is: in Star Wars, our heroes usually shuffle off this mortal coil in such a way as to render funerals impractical. I think Vader is the only precedent for a main character dying and leaving a body behind. Do they leave Leia's death as just an offscreen acknowledgment, or do they include a more forceful memorial to Leia and/or Carrie Fisher - a service, a graveside scene, an epitaph, etc.?
    As far as I know, Obi Wan and Yoda were the only two to do this. Qui Gon Jinn left a body, so did the jedi murdered by the clones, as did those murdered by Anakin at the temple.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I still think this is how it should be (and should have been) done:

https://youtu.be/MDUrw7j0UA4
    Have you seen the animated version?
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    As far as I know, Obi Wan and Yoda were the only two to do this. Qui Gon Jinn left a body, so did the jedi murdered by the clones, as did those murdered by Anakin at the temple.
    Sorry, I was unclear: I wasn't saying that no person or no jedi leaves a body behind when s/he dies. I also wasn't referencing only the jedi-disembodiment death, but more the tendency of the heroes in the Star Wars saga to die in a way that renders funerals impossible - disembodiment (Yoda, Obi Wan, and I suspect Luke, when the time comes), explosions (Biggs, Bail Organa), or long falls (Han, Mace Windu, and I supposed Palpatine, though we wouldn't see his funeral anyway), and thus the lack of a need for funerals of these characters.

But you are absolutely right, I had neglected the prequels - Qui Gon had a pyre similar to Vader's in that movie I wish hadn't happened, and Padme had her own funeral procession after she died of a broken heart (oy). So I suppose precedent exists for main character funerals, albeit precedent I assiduously try to forget. Personally, I hope Leia gets a lighter treatment than Padme did, especially since I suspect her death will need to be at least mostly offscreen, but I suppose we just have to wait and see.

Luke gives Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru a funeral in ANH.

LucasFilm/Disney have announced that they will not digitally recreate Princess Leia for Episode IX.

LucasFilm/Disney have announced that they will not digitally recreate Princess Leia for Episode IX.
    Guess they couldn't get the rights, I read they were looking into it with Carrie's estate.

Looks like I am third to the party with the news.
    Link:
    https://www.cnet.com/news/lucasfilm-...source=twitter

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Looks like I am third to the party with the news.
    Link:
    https://www.cnet.com/news/lucasfilm-...source=twitter
    Lucasfilm says they have "no plans" to use CGI to recreate Princess Leia for Episode IX. This is very different than saying that they will not use CGI.

I'm picking up an undertone that CGI would be disrespectful for some reason? Am I reading this right? Why is it OK to recreate Peter Cushing's likeness, but not Carrie Fisher's?

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Lucasfilm says they have "no plans" to use CGI to recreate Princess Leia for Episode IX. This is very different than saying that they will not use CGI.

I'm picking up an undertone that CGI would be disrespectful for some reason? Am I reading this right? Why is it OK to recreate Peter Cushing's likeness, but not Carrie Fisher's?
    Time, most likely.

Seems creepy either way.

Interesting that Carrie Fisher WILL appear in the next Star Wars (episode VIII).

She had already completed shooting before her death.

The story I read said that she was going to have a larger role in Episode IX -- obviously that has to change. I wonder if they play with the story in VIII to set up her death?

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    Time, most likely.

Seems creepy either way.
    I thought they paid cushing's estate for the rights