Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Star Wars: Rogue One (early review, NO SPOILERS)

What has two thumbs and got to see the most anticipated movie of the season at an early screening today?

This guy!!

So, in many ways Rogue One is so very different from any other Star Wars movie. The nature of the story -- one confined to a small part of the Star Wars universe and not designed to be continued elsewhere -- makes it different in tone and structure. The film knows it is not like other Star Wars films and openly declares that by eschewing the opening crawl and even the familiar Star Wars theme music at the beginning. And yet, at various turns it is deeply connected to the original Star Wars film and has numerous moments that give more weight to that movie (and vice-versa). There are a million spoiler-related things I could say about it, but that discussion should be held until after the rest of your have experienced the film. Until then, here are a few items of note that will not contain any spoilers... except to say that the image below is perhaps the best moment in any Star Wars movie in a loooooong time --

1) The Story - This is a strong story, one which gives meaning to the sacrifices and trials the characters must endure. I know it has been described as a "heist" flick but I think that is wrong. It is not an Oceans 11/12/13 kind of film. I don't know how many of you saw Force Ten from Navarone, but this felt a bit like that film except in space. The film has a great deal of tragedy within it and relies on characters who develop deep connections to each other. It starts out a little slow and there are not a lot of big action pieces in the first half of the film. There is some mystery to keep it going early on, but not a lot of it. I was growing a tad frustrated through the first third or so, bu then it really picks up. The back half, especially the final battle (which takes up the last 40 minutes of the movie) is spectacular, both in the staging and in the stakes. It is a movie with real sacrifice and emotion, something we don't see all that often in the Star Wars universe. There are deaths here, and I almost feel like they carry more punch than Obi Wan or Han or anyone else in the other films.

2) The Characters - Interestingly, there are so many characters, we barely learn the names of all of them. Jyn (Felicity Jones) and Cassian (Diego Luna) are the main characters and both are complete and complex. It is impossible not to develop real feelings for some of the side characters, especially the blind monk who constantly prays to The Force and his skeptical machine-gun toting friend. Then there is K2SO, a robot who actually surpasses R2D2, C3PO, and BB8 in terms of being a real character that you connect with. He is hysterically funny at times, but never in a slapstick kind of way (like C3PO often is). Forest Whitaker's Saw Guerra and Mads Mikkelson's Galen Erso are ok, but I had hoped for a bit more of each of these. I would have liked them to each play a larger role in the story instead of largely being Jyn's back story and motivation. The bad guy, Ben Mendelsohn's Director Krennick, is ok, but no Darth Vader.

By the way, as you probably know, Darth does make a couple appearances in the film and he is great when he does. Additionally, the movie uses digital imagery to bring back some very familiar faces from the original Star Wars. Some of them look a bit too fake and digital, but the main one they use is actually pretty good digital work. I'll leave it at that.

3) The Action - As you might imagine, the effects are impressive and the action sequences never look cheap. There are a few truly memorable fights that I do not want to talk about for fear of spoiling things, but there are two brief ones in particular that are just spectacular, as good as anything we have seen in any Star Wars film. You will be on the edge of your seat throughout the final half hour of the movie, that's for sure.

4) The Bottom Line - Though it starts sort of slow and struggles early on with some of the character motivations, the back half of this film is up there with the best of the Star Wars movies. It is simultaneously a film about personal relationships and responsibility and also a film with big, big stakes. It may take a little time, but you will be drawn into the characters and care about them. It is a fine addition to the Star Wars cannon and well worth watching. That said, I'm not sure I am dying to see it 4 or 5 times like I was with Force Awakens, the original Star Wars, or Empire Strikes back. I'll probably only see it 2 or 3 times

-Jason "special note to Disney -- THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for taking Star Wars away from George Lucas, he would never have been able to make this film" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I don't know how many of you saw Force Ten from Navarone, but this felt a bit like that film except in space.
    That's all I needed to hear!

So, Jason, tell us -- did you detect the political slant in the movie that has led for Trump supporters to call for a boycott of the film?

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment...ne-anti-trump/

(this is from a legit site ... most of the other links I could have offered are from the kind of partisan sites we usually try and stay away from)

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    So, Jason, tell us -- did you detect the political slant in the movie that has led for Trump supporters to call for a boycott of the film?

(this is from a legit site ... most of the other links I could have offered are from the kind of partisan sites we usually try and stay away from)
    I propose that the board not make a thread about the most beloved movie franchise of all time into a thread about the most detestable election in modern memory.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    As a fan of the animated shows (Clone Wars and Rebels) that have filled in the space of years between the movies, I'm excited to see how Rebels may (or may not) tie in to R1. I know one of the trailers shows the Ghost (rebel ship) make a brief appearance, so it will be fun to see if any of the characters do, too. It may just be a fun easter egg. (If you know, save it for the non-existent but destined to be spoilers thread.)

Attached Images Attached Images
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Nice. I am excited to see if there's any evidence support Jyn being Rey's mother, or Jyn's dad purposely building in the Death Star's weak point. Back to this thread on Thursday night

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

Umm, this is silly.

The movie, and the entire series of films, are anti-totalitarianism. It is clear that George Lucas did not think it would be a good thing for a power-mad emperor to rule over everyone else. If one wants to see that as a commentary on any particular politician or party, that is up to the individual viewer but I did not see anything intentional in the film that clearly draws a line to any current political ideologies or politicians in the US.

-Jason "Put another way, at no point in the film does Darth Vader talks about the need to build a wall to keep the Wookies out" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Nice. I am excited to see if there's any evidence support Jyn being Rey's mother, or Jyn's dad purposely building in the Death Star's weak point. Back to this thread on Thursday night
    So, at what point is it ok for this thread to contain spoilers or do we need a separate thread for spoilers?

Actually, I have an answer... I will create a new thread for spoilers (in a couple hours, busy at the moment) and then we will merge the two after opening weekend. Frankly, after opening weekend there is no such thing as spoilers any more.

-Jason "moderator powers, activate!!" Evans

So, at what point is it ok for this thread to contain spoilers or do we need a separate thread for spoilers?

Actually, I have an answer... I will create a new thread for spoilers (in a couple hours, busy at the moment) and then we will merge the two after opening weekend. Frankly, after opening weekend there is no such thing as spoilers any more.

-Jason "moderator powers, activate!!" Evans
    The force is strong in this one, it is.

I sat next to critic Matt Goldberg in my screening. We are friends and quite often sit together for movies. Though he has a few more criticisms than I do, his review is excellent and does a very good job of summing up the movie. I strongly suggest you read it.

Despite a fairly direct plot—a group of rebels goes on a mission to steal the plans for the Death Star—the movie constantly stutters in its narrative. While this is likely the result of reshoots, Rogue One’s story only works in fits and starts. It’s a film with poor economy of storytelling and things never run smoothly from a plotting perspective. For example, since Jyn is Galen’s daughter, what’s the point of bringing in Saw?

This characterization problem runs throughout the cast as everyone gets neat details, but rarely enough to invest in them as individuals. Jones is a capable actress, but it feels like chunks of Jyn’s arc are missing as she goes from someone who was raised by a freedom fighter to someone who doesn’t care if the Empire rules the galaxy to someone who has a seat at the table in trying to get the rebellion to steal the Death Star plans. Her evolution doesn’t really track, and that’s probably a result of the reshoots. Cassian starts out as an interesting character who’s willing to do some surprisingly ruthless acts for the rebellion, but like Jyn, his transformation isn’t completely fleshed out.
    -Jason "Matt gives it a solid B, I would give it a B+ or an A-... the first half is a B- and the back half is an A+" Evans

Umm, this is silly.

The movie, and the entire series of films, are anti-totalitarianism.

So they're totally anti-totalitarian?

Seeing this on IMAX 3D on friday...will review it then. Should be fun...it's my first IMAX movie...and first 3D movie.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Seeing this on IMAX 3D on friday...will review it then. Should be fun...it's my first IMAX movie...and first 3D movie.
    Interestingly, the screening I attended was not shown in IMAX or 3D, which is really, really unusual for a film being released in those formats. They generally show it to critics in the most expensive format possible so we can comment on folks spending extra money for the premium viewing.

That said, several moments in the film are probably awesome in 3D. I bet you will enjoy it.

Excited to see the movie tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Excited to see the movie tonight!
    Just a few hours until I watch at the National Air and Space museum! I am AMPED!

The only thing I want to see is Bothans dying in large numbers. if there aren't many Bothan deaths, I'm gonna call shennanigans!

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    The only thing I want to see is Bothans dying in large numbers. if there aren't many Bothan deaths, I'm gonna call shennanigans!

Even after watching that elongated moment of silence, I can't tell if you're joking or not. Bothan spies were used to steal plans to the second Death Star in Return of the Jedi (and were spoonfed that limited info by a knowing Emperor). Rogue One is about stealing the plans to the original Death Star, the one Luke destroys in A New Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Even after watching that elongated moment of silence, I can't tell if you're joking or not. Bothan spies were used to steal plans to the second Death Star in Return of the Jedi (and were spoonfed that limited info by a knowing Emperor). Rogue One is about stealing the plans to the original Death Star, the one Luke destroys in A New Hope.
    I thought this was the spoiler free thread!

Loved it.

My overall rankings:
    A New Hope
    Empire
    Rogue One
    Force Awakens
    Sith
    Attack of the Clones
    Return of the Jedi
    Phantom Menace

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I blame NC State @#%!