Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    2017 will go down as the year of the sequel/prequel...just sticking to the summer movies per the thread

Fast and Furius
    Smurfs
    Priates of the Caribbean
    Alien
    Diary of a Wimpy Kit
    The Nut Job
    Guardians of Galaxy
    Despibcable Me
    Cars
    World War
    Annabelle

...that's just over the summer. /smh
    You left out a few Here are all the films being released in May-Aug (the summer season) that are sequels.

Guardians 2
    Despicable Me 3
    Wonder Woman (seeing as she was introduced in BvS, this is a sequel)
    Spider-man: Homecoming (seeing as he was introduced in Civil War, this is a sequel)
    Transformers: Last Knight
    Cars 3
    War for the Planet of the Apes
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
    Alien: Covenant (Prometheus 2)
    Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2
    Annabelle 2
    The Nut Job 2
    Bad Dads (sequel to Bad Moms)

--Jason "it is worth noting that sequel does not automatically mean bad... but I expect many of these to be significantly weaker than the original" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Transformers: Last Knight
    Cars 3
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

--Jason "it is worth noting that sequel does not automatically mean bad... but I expect many of these to be significantly weaker than the original" Evans
    Any given year, those three would be hard to vote against, but since they're all sequels to crappy sequels, I'm pretty sure I'll be leaving them off my list. Good Dinosaur was the first Pixar movie that I didn't vote to be in my top 5 with the assumption that it would suck, Cars 3 will be my second. (I've left off other Pixar movies, but not because I thought they'd suck.)
    That probably guarantees that at least one of them will make the winner's list.
    I'm also probably not going to vote for Spiderman, since none of the reboot attempts after the first one have been worth a flip, but the trailers make it look fun, and in summer that's what counts. It's possible Marvel makes the top 5 twice, but I think there is too much other good looking competition. At least that's what my spidey sense tells me.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It's possible Marvel makes the top 5 twice, but I think there is too much other good looking competition. At least that's what my spidey sense tells me.
    Marvel made it twice in 2014, when Cap Winter Soldier and Guardians were the #1 and #2 movies of summer.

I think you bet against anything with RDJr's Iron Man in it at your peril.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Marvel made it twice in 2014, when Cap Winter Soldier and Guardians were the #1 and #2 movies of summer.

I think you bet against anything with RDJr's Iron Man in it at your peril.
    Yep. Luckily I've got a few months to work the kinks out of my flux capacitor. If it doesn't work by April, then my internal top 5 selection debate is going to be ulcer inducing.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Refreshing this thread with a question for the masses...

Should we open and close the poll earlier than usual this year so we don't get the advantage of knowing too much about these summer films... or am I just making things more difficult in what is already a difficult process?

I was thinking about maybe opening it up on April 1 and closing the voting on April 15, more than 2 weeks before the first major film of summer opens (Guardians 2 on May 5th). What do folks think about that?

While I am at it, here are the films I am currently considering for the poll. Give me feedback if you think something is being left out:

• Guardians 2 (May 5)
    • King Arthur (May 12)
    • Alien Covenant (May 19)
    • Pirates 5 (May 26)
    • Baywatch (May 26)
    • Wonder Woman (June 2)
    • The Mummy (June 9)
    • Cars 3 (June 16)
    • Rough Night (June 16)
    • Transformers 5 (June 23)
    • Despicable Me 3 (June 30)
    • Spider-man: Homecoming (July 7)
    • War for the Planet of the Apes (July 14)
    • Dunkirk (July 21)
    • Valerian (July 21)
    • The Dark Tower (July 28)

That is 16 films and I can only list 15 films in the poll. That actually means I will have to exclude 2 from the list to make room for an "other" option in case folks want to go "off the board." In past years we have required anyone voting for "other" to list their pick in a post, but I am tempted to let anyone bold enough to vote other get everything else in the field aside from what is listed seeing as "other" is increasingly becoming a major longshot. I mean, when was the last time we had a truly unknown film bust into the summer top 5? I think it may have been the original Hangover.

-Jason "I'll be honest, there are a lot of films on that list that have no shot at all of making our top 5... sigh... I bet at least 4 films get more than 80% of the votes" Evans

As if I wasn't already excited for Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk... he just spoke at an industry conference and said the only way to see his film is through the immersive experience of being in a theater. Many in the movie biz have been talking about finding other channels for distribution. Hollywood is actively talking about the $30-$40 pay per view (cheaper than taking a family of 4 to the movies!) approx. 2 weeks after a major movie releases. Nolan is actively campaigning for films to be seen in theaters!

He said he wanted to immerse the audience as part of the story on the beach, flying over the beach, running with the troops. The film is not done, but noted that “it’s the first time we really have been able to use the IMAX cameras to its full effect.” Including, he said, using to film inside the cockpits of the planes.

“Most important to say here is this is a story that needs to carry you through the suspenseful situation and I make you feel like you are there and the only way to do that is through theatrical distribution. I want to thank you all for everything you’ve done for me throughout the years … I am depending and relying on all of you to try to present this film in the best way possible.”
    -Jason "Nolan has never released a film that failed to make our top 5... his last film to make less than $180 mil was The Prestige in 2006, before we started this little game" Evans

As if I wasn't already excited for Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk... he just spoke at an industry conference and said the only way to see his film is through the immersive experience of being in a theater. Many in the movie biz have been talking about finding other channels for distribution. Hollywood is actively talking about the $30-$40 pay per view (cheaper than taking a family of 4 to the movies!) approx. 2 weeks after a major movie releases. Nolan is actively campaigning for films to be seen in theaters!

-Jason "Nolan has never released a film that failed to make our top 5... his last film to make less than $180 mil was The Prestige in 2006, before we started this little game" Evans
    Dunkirk looks amazing.

Unfortunately, the Spider-Man trailer which I saw on IMDB yesterday (trailer 2) was less appealing than the first trailer. I think they were trying to emphasize the action in this trailer a little more. The first trailer was laugh out loud funny and emphasized that Peter Parker is still an awkward high school student. This one, by focusing more on the action, felt a little more generic.

Still...Iron Man. Spider-Man will end up securely in our top 5.

Refreshing this thread with a question for the masses...

Should we open and close the poll earlier than usual this year so we don't get the advantage of knowing too much about these summer films... or am I just making things more difficult in what is already a difficult process?

I was thinking about maybe opening it up on April 1 and closing the voting on April 15, more than 2 weeks before the first major film of summer opens (Guardians 2 on May 5th). What do folks think about that?

While I am at it, here are the films I am currently considering for the poll. Give me feedback if you think something is being left out:

• Guardians 2 (May 5)
    • King Arthur (May 12)
    • Alien Covenant (May 19)
    • Pirates 5 (May 26)
    • Baywatch (May 26)
    • Wonder Woman (June 2)
    • The Mummy (June 9)
    • Cars 3 (June 16)
    • Rough Night (June 16)
    • Transformers 5 (June 23)
    • Despicable Me 3 (June 30)
    • Spider-man: Homecoming (July 7)
    • War for the Planet of the Apes (July 14)
    • Dunkirk (July 21)
    • Valerian (July 21)
    • The Dark Tower (July 28)

That is 16 films and I can only list 15 films in the poll. That actually means I will have to exclude 2 from the list to make room for an "other" option in case folks want to go "off the board." In past years we have required anyone voting for "other" to list their pick in a post, but I am tempted to let anyone bold enough to vote other get everything else in the field aside from what is listed seeing as "other" is increasingly becoming a major longshot. I mean, when was the last time we had a truly unknown film bust into the summer top 5? I think it may have been the original Hangover.

-Jason "I'll be honest, there are a lot of films on that list that have no shot at all of making our top 5... sigh... I bet at least 4 films get more than 80% of the votes" Evans
    We could extend the cutoff slightly earlier and include Fate of the Furious (April 14) in the poll. I have a suspicion it's going to make boatloads of cash and could make the selection of the top 5 more complicated.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    We could extend the cutoff slightly earlier and include Fate of the Furious (April 14) in the poll. I have a suspicion it's going to make boatloads of cash and could make the selection of the top 5 more complicated.
    I had a snarky reply all cued up until I looked up the franchise box office history. Lots of money, and still climbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I had a snarky reply all cued up until I looked up the franchise box office history. Lots of money, and still climbing.
    Last three movies were over $200m and the F7 had a domestic take of $353 million and $1.5 billion worldwide! Domestic take was good enough for #5 for all of 2015.

Last three movies were over $200m and the F7 had a domestic take of $353 million and $1.5 billion worldwide! Domestic take was good enough for #5 for all of 2015.
    F7 worldwide doubled the take of it's predecessor.

Reminds me that my taste in movies is far from universal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    ...far from universal.
    i'm not even in the same galaxy.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I'm all for this. And I can't imagine anyone going 5 for 5.

If F8 is included, I will get two right before May is half over. So it would become "Top other 3" contest.

Pretty lame offerings for the kids, Despicable Me 3 (which will has minions and probably be top 5) and Cars 3. Really, Cars THREE?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Pretty lame offerings for the kids, Despicable Me 3 (which will has minions and probably be top 5) and Cars 3. Really, Cars THREE?
    Baywatch isn't a family friendly offering?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Baywatch isn't a family friendly offering?
    Just because there will be lots of mammaries on display...doesn't mean you should take an infant or toddler to see it!

Just because there will be lots of mammaries on display...doesn't mean you should take an infant or toddler to see it!
    The Rock and Zac Efron do sport quite a bit of cleavage ... sadly, so does Jon Bass ...

Valerian looks fun:

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Valerian looks fun:

-jk
    Love Luc Besson...that looks awesome. I wonder if it will be like The Fifth Element, and even though it's a movie that I can watch every time it comes on, isn't a blockbuster in the theaters. Will be tough to add to my list, but I want to see it...now!