Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Summer movies, 2017

Figured it was worth starting a collector thread because two huge trailers have dropped. I am only allowed to embed 1 video per message so I'll post the other trailer in a reply.

The first trailer for Spider-man Homecoming makes it almost seem to be a Spidey and Iron Man film, which is fine. The MCU has embraced the notion that these heroes are all in the same world and they would naturally interact with each other a lot. I like the feel of the trailer, though it does not appear we are getting much at all about Michael Keaton's Vulture character. Sony/Marvel released a US and an international trailer and this video contains both of them. There is a lot the same, but some stuff is different.

-Jason "up next, Caesar returns!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

War for the Planet of the Apes trailer seems good, but I'm not as sold as I was on the other two recent Apes movies. Woody Harrelson as the bad guy general leading the human army. The films need to continue to make the apes the good guys, but as we get closer and closer to the extinction of mankind, that could be difficult. Anyway, I'm sure it will be a big hit. Here is the trailer:

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but as long as we're posting early trailers for summer movies:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gua...xy_2/trailers/

Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 ... I love the use of the Baby Groot in this trailer

Toretto turns on his team! I am already excited for the 13 times I'm going to watch this on future cross country flights.

Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Toretto turns on his team! ...[/video]
    But there is a reason!

Oh, sorry. Was that a spoiler?

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    But there is a reason!

Oh, sorry. Was that a spoiler?
    For there to be a spoiler, doesn't there need to be a story?

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    For there to be a spoiler, doesn't there need to be a story?
    Not in The Fast and the Furious. There's a spoiler in most scenes.

A real-life, against-all-odds story from World War II, with Kenneth Branagh, Mark Rylance, and Tom Hardy (among others), plus Christopher Nolan directing, in IMAX? Yes, please.

"I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    Not in The Fast and the Furious. There's a spoiler in most scenes.
    Spoiler-Alert.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    A real-life, against-all-odds story from World War II, with Kenneth Branagh, Mark Rylance, and Tom Hardy (among others), plus Christopher Nolan directing, in IMAX? Yes, please.

This is the movie I am looking forward to this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    This is the movie I am looking forward to this summer.
    In the category of films I am not looking forward to... we just got our first trailer for Despicable Me 3. Ugh...

I am sorta intrigued that South Park's Trey Parker is voicing the villain. Parker has not been a guy interested in selling out for a buck and is fiercely independent. He and Matt Stone still run South Park even though they could have easily turned it over to others. Parker is the writer and director on every single episode of the show (the last time he wasn't solely credited as the writer of an episode was 5+ season ago when he and Matt Stone co-wrote one episode). Plus, it is not like Parker is a huge name who would sell tickets by having his name in the credits. I can't imagine that Universal said, "let's throw $10 mil at Trey Parker to get him to voice this character" and even if they did, I think Parker would have told them to shove it if he did not like the script.

So, that is a long way of saying that the script must be sorta special and interesting if Trey Parker agreed to be involved with it. Hmmmmmm, maybe this movie won't suck the way the last one did.

-Jason "gonna be a really tough summer to pick a Top 5, I suspect" Evans

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

So, that is a long way of saying that the script must be sorta special and interesting if Trey Parker agreed to be involved with it. Hmmmmmm, maybe this movie won't suck the way the last one did.

Weren't you kicking yourself for not picking Minions? (Not saying that was a great movie, but it's a tough franchise to say no to.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

2017 will go down as the year of the sequel/prequel...just sticking to the summer movies per the thread

Fast and Furius
    Smurfs
    Priates of the Caribbean
    Alien
    Diary of a Wimpy Kit
    The Nut Job
    Guardians of Galaxy
    Despibcable Me
    Cars
    World War
    Annabelle

...that's just over the summer. /smh

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    2017 will go down as ANOTHER year of the sequel/prequel...just sticking to the summer movies per the thread

... /smh
    Thus making the year of 2017 movies itself a sequel

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    In the category of films I am not looking forward to... we just got our first trailer for Despicable Me 3. Ugh...

I am sorta intrigued that South Park's Trey Parker is voicing the villain. Parker has not been a guy interested in selling out for a buck and is fiercely independent. He and Matt Stone still run South Park even though they could have easily turned it over to others. Parker is the writer and director on every single episode of the show (the last time he wasn't solely credited as the writer of an episode was 5+ season ago when he and Matt Stone co-wrote one episode). Plus, it is not like Parker is a huge name who would sell tickets by having his name in the credits. I can't imagine that Universal said, "let's throw $10 mil at Trey Parker to get him to voice this character" and even if they did, I think Parker would have told them to shove it if he did not like the script.

I think he's got a young child. Could be he sort of did it for the kid.

I can barely sit through the commercials for most kids' movies. They just seem infantile. I don't remember the old Disney animated films being that way.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    I can barely sit through the commercials for most kids' movies. They just seem infantile.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

2017 will go down as the year of the sequel/prequel...just sticking to the summer movies per the thread

Fast and Furius
    Smurfs
    Priates of the Caribbean
    Alien
    Diary of a Wimpy Kit
    The Nut Job
    Guardians of Galaxy
    Despibcable Me
    Cars
    World War
    Annabelle

...that's just over the summer. /smh
    Okay, I recognize most of the franchises you refer to, but what do you mean by "World War"? Is there a sequel to World War Z you are referencing or are you referring to Dunkirk?

I understand that there is at least one (much) earlier film of the same name, but Nolan's version doesn't see to fit as a sequel or prequel.

Or were you referring to another film I'm not aware of?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Okay, I recognize most of the franchises you refer to, but what do you mean by "World War"? Is there a sequel to World War Z you are referencing or are you referring to Dunkirk?

I understand that there is at least one (much) earlier film of the same name, but Nolan's version doesn't see to fit as a sequel or prequel.

Or were you referring to another film I'm not aware of?
    I dropped a Z there...it's a World War Z sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Not seeing the issue with my statement. There is a pretty wide gulf between infants and children of most ages. While infantile is something of a synonym for childish, it is a much stronger and more perjorative word. Beyond that, a movie can be made for kids or be kid-friendly without even being childish in the common sense of the word.

Wink

I dropped a Z there...it's a World War Z sequel.
    It'll be called World War AA (dumb MS Excel joke there)