Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the S&W 442 purchase this weekend.
    Very good choice. Get +P ammo.

Has anyone had any luck buying ammo lately?

It's been about 3 weeks but I was able to get some .30-06 and some 00 Buck 12Ga.

Haven't checked recently on .38 Special.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

To duke79.

Purchase an owl decoy. Horned owl models are great for deterring rodents. Lowe's has them.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    To duke79.

Purchase an owl decoy. Horned owl models are great for deterring rodents. Lowe's has them.
    Would the owls work for keeping birds away from pecking holes in my cedar siding?

I was able to purchase 2 50ct boxes of Federal 9mm 114 gr ammo at my local Dunham Sports store yesterday. The ammo was on their Sunday-Monday special sale but I had to ask for them. The clerk told me that earlier in the day two separate customers had picked up whole cases of bullets from their sale table, so the clerk had to put the rest of the ammo behind the counter and limit customers to 4 boxes when requested.
    Tom Mac

yes i have gotten 9mm ,45 and 223.
    I have a bag of 30 cal and a few boxes of 308 or 30 06 .i have no use for.
    Sold a m1 carbine .
    So my son could start his collection.
    9mm was the most abundant .223 not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Would the owls work for keeping birds away from pecking holes in my cedar siding?
    We have a large red headed wood pecker.that beats my chimney cap until i run him/her off.
    That may work for me aswell.

To duke79.

Of late, I have had to deal with highly destructive chipmunks. Had a few pest / wildlife control experts come out to give their opinion. I ended up with a combo of mole poison pellets and sharpshooting with my .177 nitro piston. Although I never took pleasure in hunting, it has been so effective, I sort of miss the challenge.

I used to like the chipmunks and squirrels in my yard b/c they ate up the hickory nuts and acorns that would otherwise be much harder to rake up. But the chippers don't stop there, unfortunately.

I'm kind of new to slinging lead, but it appears to me that here in my state, I can't just take out squirrels if I wanted to*, because there's a hunting season for them. Fortunately they're not the problem (well, I had to give up feeding birds b/c of them, but that's small potatoes compared to the chippers).

One of our cats was a very effective chipmunk hunter. However, he's been retired from that for various reasons (first - by bringing in fleas a 2nd time despite flea medicine; second, he's over 14 now and probably wouldn't be so great at it anyway anymore. But in his prime - wow. It was his way of getting around our measured food limitations on him).

I'll have to consider one of those owl decoys to add to my deterrents. Do they work better with a Tootsie Pop in their talons?

* well, technically you can, if they're destructive of private property. But ... IMO their continual defeat of anti-squirrel bird feeder technologies isn't enough of a reason. Though maybe I could give them a harmless sting with a Daisy Red Ryder? As long as I don't shoot my eye out, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Sold a m1 carbine .
    Too bad we're not closer. I would take the 30 cal and 30-06 off your hands...
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Sold a m1 carbine .
    .22 is often available, in some form.

WM still sells shotgun and some rifle ammo. It's behind the counter, and since it's often so hard to find someone to help you, it doesn't get turned over quite so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Could, but you can buy falcon images that stick on windows that will work.
    https://www.amazon.com/Defenders-Fly.../dp/B00116R05A

I have plenty of 556/223, but running very low on 9mm

The problem during ammo shortages are people that panic-buy. I just wanted 2 boxes to shoot at the range

Had some squirrels destroying the bird feeder up at the place at Smith Mountain Lake.

Hadn't shot my old Marlin .22 in years, used to hunt squirrels with it when I was a kid.

4 shots over 3 days, 4 squirrels.

No more squirrels destroying the bird feeder.

Going back up there this weekend after being away for a few weeks. I wonder if any will have returned?

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Had some squirrels destroying the bird feeder up at the place at Smith Mountain Lake.

Hadn't shot my old Marlin .22 in years, used to hunt squirrels with it when I was a kid.

4 shots over 3 days, 4 squirrels.

No more squirrels destroying the bird feeder.

Going back up there this weekend after being away for a few weeks. I wonder if any will have returned?
    probably. Sure it's not a bear?

probably. Sure it's not a bear?
    Actually I should have clarified. The squirrels were simply eating everything I put out there. Then I took care of the squirrels. Then a bear came along and actually took down the feeder.

It may end up being a losing battle.

speaking of 22....

anyone have any experience with the new glock 44?

Picked up a Winchester Model '94 30-30 the other day. Mostly for sentimental reasons as it is exactly like the first rifle I ever hunted deer with. There's just something about the size/weight/grip/feel of it. But also got a really good deal on a very nice looking used rifle. Hard to pass up.

Can't wait to try it out.

Got the last two boxes of ammo for it that they had, along with some 00Buck and some 30-06. No 9mm or 38special, as is usual these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Picked up a Winchester Model '94 30-30 the other day. Mostly for sentimental reasons as it is exactly like the first rifle I ever hunted deer with. There's just something about the size/weight/grip/feel of it. But also got a really good deal on a very nice looking used rifle. Hard to pass up.

Can't wait to try it out.

Got the last two boxes of ammo for it that they had, along with some 00Buck and some 30-06. No 9mm or 38special, as is usual these days.
    Sweet purchase!

I need to hunt for some 9mm again this weekend.

Sweet purchase!

I need to hunt for some 9mm again this weekend.
    Good Luck!