Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Sorry folks.

I started this thread over a year ago so that those of us who are gun owners could have a place to discuss our hobby. I never wanted it to become PPB material, and I am sorry that it has started to slip down that path, that was certainly not the plan.

Here is the official gofunme page for the families of the victims. https://www.gofundme.com/stonemandouglasvictimsfund

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I'm interested in a nice entry level AR-15. Any suggestions?
    I'm planning on getting one this summer. I don't have the knowledge to give any advice now, but I'll pass on what I gather to the thread if someone with more experience hasn't already chimed in.

I'm interested in a nice entry level AR-15. Any suggestions?
    I'm not sure where you are located.but if your anywhere near south carolina.
    palmetto state arms has a very good deal every few months.you can get a ar15 and a M.p. 40 for 600 or 700 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    palmetto state arms has a very good deal every few months.you can get a ar15 and a M.p. 40 for 600 or 700 dollars.
    And if you're in North Carolina, Academy sports runs some good deals. Just gotta keep an eye out for the sale. If you're in Eastern North Carolina, I can point you to some local mom and pops stores that have the best deals all the time. I try to buy local whenever I can, as a general rule for all products.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    I was actually going to ask about that. I live in Asheville and have been to the PSA in Greenville before. It is only an hr away from me. I have heard mixed reviews about their products, but they do always have some really sweet deals though.

Folks,

While the moderation team understands that this thread is not about any public policy issue, the timing of the current discussion (only hours after a terrible incident of gun violence at a Florida school) makes it in extremely poor taste. The mod team is shutting this thread down temporarily. We will reopen in in a week or two when emotions have calmed a bit. Thanks for understanding.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Folks,

While the moderation team understands that this thread is not about any public policy issue, the timing of the current discussion (only hours after a terrible incident of gun violence at a Florida school) makes it in extremely poor taste. The mod team is shutting this thread down temporarily. We will reopen in in a week or two when emotions have calmed a bit. Thanks for understanding.
    After a long break, this thread is being reopened. The conversation is expected to stay non-political. If you stray over the line, you will be slapped with a very serious infraction.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Thanks, Jason.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/deals

I wanted to let you folks know that PSA has a lot of great Father's Day deals this weekend. I ordered a PSA Freedom kit last night. $259 for the upper (blemished), $30 for the lower, and 3 30 round mags for $6.99 each. Tax and shipping included the total came out to $350!

I have a few friends and relatives that have PSA rifles and they like them a lot. The internet seems to have a lot of positive reviews as well.

Thanks Jason!

Long story short...I've come into possession of a few handguns, a pair of rifles and a shotgun. Nothing exotic. What do I need to do to make sure I'm on the right side of the law regarding the possession of these weapons? We live in NC.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Thanks Jason!

Long story short...I've come into possession of a few handguns, a pair of rifles and a shotgun. Nothing exotic. What do I need to do to make sure I'm on the right side of the law regarding the possession of these weapons? We live in NC.
    Hmm...

You should be fine, depending on how you acquired them.

For the possession you should be fine, as long as you aren't concealing your handguns without a permit.

Hmm...

For the possession you should be fine, as long as you aren't concealing your handguns without a permit.
    Pretty much this. You may also be disallowed from open carry by certain cities (don't know which ones, could probably guess), even though open carry is legal at the state level. There are no gun lock or safe requirements in NC (of course if you have kids around they are still a good idea!)*

Basically, don't shoot them in a place you're not supposed to, and definitely don't shoot them into something you're not supposed to, and you should be pretty much good.

*Even though the law doesn't require it, there may be some liability stuff if an improperly secured gun gets used in a crime, I don't know

The truth is stranger than fiction...I do have a story to tell but this is not the place. I would consider it a transfer from one family member to another.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Basically, don't shoot them in a place you're not supposed to, and definitely don't shoot them into something you're not supposed to, and you should be pretty much good.
    Shouldn't be too hard. We didn't take any of the ammo. That limits our shooting options.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    After a long break, this thread is being reopened. The conversation is expected to stay non-political. If you stray over the line, you will be slapped with a very serious infraction.
    Not to complain about a good thing, but...about darn time.

For those in the DC metropolitan area, do you have any recommendations regarding ranges in Northern Virginia or Maryland?

Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Pretty much this. You may also be disallowed from open carry by certain cities (don't know which ones, could probably guess), even though open carry is legal at the state level. There are no gun lock or safe requirements in NC (of course if you have kids around they are still a good idea!)*

*Even though the law doesn't require it, there may be some liability stuff if an improperly secured gun gets used in a crime, I don't know
    Interesting - this might not be true for all states. I can't find the link now, but I read an article where someone in NYC got in trouble because he didn't register an inherited gun. Of course, they only found out about it because he shot an intruder.

Thanks Jason!

In NC you must get a permit to buy a handgun. I can only assume you probably need one in order to legally possess one even if you didn’t buy it. You do not need a permit to purchase a rifle or shotgun.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    In NC you must get a permit to buy a handgun. I can only assume you probably need one in order to legally possess one even if you didn’t buy it. You do not need a permit to purchase a rifle or shotgun.
    Double checked... by law in NC, you are required to have a permit in order to receive a handgun from a private party, whether purchased or received as a gift. You apply for the permit(s) at your county sheriff. Currently, you have to have a separate permit for each handgun you buy/own. There is no limit on the number of permits you can apply for and receive.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Double checked... by law in NC, you are required to have a permit in order to receive a handgun from a private party, whether purchased or received as a gift. You apply for the permit(s) at your county sheriff. Currently, you have to have a separate permit for each handgun you buy/own. There is no limit on the number of permits you can apply for and receive.
    Thanks! I work downtown Raleigh so that will be easy enough to do! I misspoke earlier, I'm only thinking about taking possession of these weapons.

I'll add that if you have a concealed carry permit you do NOT need to purchase a handgun permit.

I'll add that if you have a concealed carry permit you do NOT need to purchase a handgun permit.
    I assume a concealed carry permit has to be in my name? ...because I have one, just not mine.

I assume a concealed carry permit has to be in my name? ...because I have one, just not mine.
    Depends on how much the picture favors you...