Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 164
  1. #121
    Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the S&W 442 purchase this weekend.
    Very good choice. Get +P ammo.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the NC Triad
    Has anyone had any luck buying ammo lately?
    God created all men, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Has anyone had any luck buying ammo lately?
    It's been about 3 weeks but I was able to get some .30-06 and some 00 Buck 12Ga.

    Haven't checked recently on .38 Special.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Thomasville, NC
    To duke79.

    Purchase an owl decoy. Horned owl models are great for deterring rodents. Lowe's has them.

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlanta 'burbs
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    To duke79.

    Purchase an owl decoy. Horned owl models are great for deterring rodents. Lowe's has them.
    Would the owls work for keeping birds away from pecking holes in my cedar siding?

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Elon, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Has anyone had any luck buying ammo lately?
    I was able to purchase 2 50ct boxes of Federal 9mm 114 gr ammo at my local Dunham Sports store yesterday. The ammo was on their Sunday-Monday special sale but I had to ask for them. The clerk told me that earlier in the day two separate customers had picked up whole cases of bullets from their sale table, so the clerk had to put the rest of the ammo behind the counter and limit customers to 4 boxes when requested.
    Tom Mac

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Summerville ,S.C.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Has anyone had any luck buying ammo lately?
    yes i have gotten 9mm ,45 and 223.
    I have a bag of 30 cal and a few boxes of 308 or 30 06 .i have no use for.
    Sold a m1 carbine .
    So my son could start his collection.
    9mm was the most abundant .223 not so much.

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Summerville ,S.C.
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Would the owls work for keeping birds away from pecking holes in my cedar siding?
    We have a large red headed wood pecker.that beats my chimney cap until i run him/her off.
    That may work for me aswell.

  9. #129
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    To duke79.

    Purchase an owl decoy. Horned owl models are great for deterring rodents. Lowe's has them.
    Of late, I have had to deal with highly destructive chipmunks. Had a few pest / wildlife control experts come out to give their opinion. I ended up with a combo of mole poison pellets and sharpshooting with my .177 nitro piston. Although I never took pleasure in hunting, it has been so effective, I sort of miss the challenge.

    I used to like the chipmunks and squirrels in my yard b/c they ate up the hickory nuts and acorns that would otherwise be much harder to rake up. But the chippers don't stop there, unfortunately.

    I'm kind of new to slinging lead, but it appears to me that here in my state, I can't just take out squirrels if I wanted to*, because there's a hunting season for them. Fortunately they're not the problem (well, I had to give up feeding birds b/c of them, but that's small potatoes compared to the chippers).

    One of our cats was a very effective chipmunk hunter. However, he's been retired from that for various reasons (first - by bringing in fleas a 2nd time despite flea medicine; second, he's over 14 now and probably wouldn't be so great at it anyway anymore. But in his prime - wow. It was his way of getting around our measured food limitations on him).

    I'll have to consider one of those owl decoys to add to my deterrents. Do they work better with a Tootsie Pop in their talons?

    * well, technically you can, if they're destructive of private property. But ... IMO their continual defeat of anti-squirrel bird feeder technologies isn't enough of a reason. Though maybe I could give them a harmless sting with a Daisy Red Ryder? As long as I don't shoot my eye out, of course.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    yes i have gotten 9mm ,45 and 223.
    I have a bag of 30 cal and a few boxes of 308 or 30 06 .i have no use for.
    Sold a m1 carbine .
    So my son could start his collection.
    9mm was the most abundant .223 not so much.
    Too bad we're not closer. I would take the 30 cal and 30-06 off your hands...
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

  11. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    yes i have gotten 9mm ,45 and 223.
    I have a bag of 30 cal and a few boxes of 308 or 30 06 .i have no use for.
    Sold a m1 carbine .
    So my son could start his collection.
    9mm was the most abundant .223 not so much.
    .22 is often available, in some form.

    WM still sells shotgun and some rifle ammo. It's behind the counter, and since it's often so hard to find someone to help you, it doesn't get turned over quite so quickly.

  12. #132
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Thomasville, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Would the owls work for keeping birds away from pecking holes in my cedar siding?
    Could, but you can buy falcon images that stick on windows that will work.
    https://www.amazon.com/Defenders-Fly.../dp/B00116R05A

  13. #133
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the NC Triad
    I have plenty of 556/223, but running very low on 9mm

    The problem during ammo shortages are people that panic-buy. I just wanted 2 boxes to shoot at the range
    God created all men, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

  14. #134
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Had some squirrels destroying the bird feeder up at the place at Smith Mountain Lake.

    Hadn't shot my old Marlin .22 in years, used to hunt squirrels with it when I was a kid.

    4 shots over 3 days, 4 squirrels.

    No more squirrels destroying the bird feeder.

    Going back up there this weekend after being away for a few weeks. I wonder if any will have returned?
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

  15. #135
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Thomasville, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Had some squirrels destroying the bird feeder up at the place at Smith Mountain Lake.

    Hadn't shot my old Marlin .22 in years, used to hunt squirrels with it when I was a kid.

    4 shots over 3 days, 4 squirrels.

    No more squirrels destroying the bird feeder.

    Going back up there this weekend after being away for a few weeks. I wonder if any will have returned?
    probably. Sure it's not a bear?

  16. #136
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    probably. Sure it's not a bear?
    Actually I should have clarified. The squirrels were simply eating everything I put out there. Then I took care of the squirrels. Then a bear came along and actually took down the feeder.

    It may end up being a losing battle.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

  17. #137

    speaking of 22....

    anyone have any experience with the new glock 44?

  18. #138
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Picked up a Winchester Model '94 30-30 the other day. Mostly for sentimental reasons as it is exactly like the first rifle I ever hunted deer with. There's just something about the size/weight/grip/feel of it. But also got a really good deal on a very nice looking used rifle. Hard to pass up.

    Can't wait to try it out.

    Got the last two boxes of ammo for it that they had, along with some 00Buck and some 30-06. No 9mm or 38special, as is usual these days.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

  19. #139
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the NC Triad
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Picked up a Winchester Model '94 30-30 the other day. Mostly for sentimental reasons as it is exactly like the first rifle I ever hunted deer with. There's just something about the size/weight/grip/feel of it. But also got a really good deal on a very nice looking used rifle. Hard to pass up.

    Can't wait to try it out.

    Got the last two boxes of ammo for it that they had, along with some 00Buck and some 30-06. No 9mm or 38special, as is usual these days.
    Sweet purchase!

    I need to hunt for some 9mm again this weekend.
    God created all men, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

  20. #140
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Sweet purchase!

    I need to hunt for some 9mm again this weekend.
    Good Luck!
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Similar Threads

  1. Duke History (new thread-- posts moved from unrelated thread)
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-25-2019, 07:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •