Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Firearm Thread

Any fellow gun enthusiasts on DBR? What do you have? What do you want? If you have one, what is your EDC? Do you hunt or just shoot for fun?

I have never hunted, not really my thing as I could never kill an animal, but I do love going to the range. Right now all I have is a Glock 19 (3rd gen) that I got as a gift from my father about a year ago. It is the perfect handgun in my opinion because of it's versatility. The high capacity and concealable design make it ideal for those of us who don't have the means for an arsenal of handguns. It's recent adoption from the Navy Seals and USMC says a lot about the 19's reliability, imo. Being a 9mm, it is also budget friendly to shoot.

What do you guys/gals have?

Cool thread. Thanks for starting it. I've enjoyed shooting for a while and I've become and avid hunter over the past 6 years. For trap, I own an old Ithica 12 gauge that will break your shoulder and a Benelli Vinci that shoots like a dream. I also use the Benelli to hunt turkey. For deer I use a Tikka T3 .30-06 and my son hunts with a Ruger American .243. I have two rifles I enjoy taking to the range. The first is a little Cricket .22 LR I bought for my kids. Very safe and accurate rifle that the kids (or you) can shoot all day. The second is a SIG 516 Patrol FDE. It's a 5.56/.223 patrol rifle that I equipped with an Aimpoint red dot sight. It's great at the range and will be my go to weapon during the zombie apocalypse. My only handgun is a Springfield XD 40. Also fun at the range and good for personal protection when camping in the George Washington National Forest. I like the Glock but went with them XD because the slightly smaller grip felt better in my hand. I'm thinking about adding a laser sight to the XD but haven't made up my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Any fellow gun enthusiasts on DBR? What do you have? What do you want? If you have one, what is your EDC? Do you hunt or just shoot for fun?

I have never hunted, not really my thing as I could never kill an animal, but I do love going to the range. Right now all I have is a Glock 19 (3rd gen) that I got as a gift from my father about a year ago. It is the perfect handgun in my opinion because of it's versatility. The high capacity and concealable design make it ideal for those of us who don't have the means for an arsenal of handguns. It's recent adoption from the Navy Seals and USMC says a lot about the 19's reliability, imo. Being a 9mm, it is also budget friendly to shoot.

I'm similar to you as I don't hunt (like to fish though) and like to visit the range on occasion. I also have a Glock 19 but mine is a 4th gen. It's hard to beat a Glock for reliability and ease of use.

I also have a Sig Sauer P238 which is a really cool little .380. It's built like a miniature 1911 in that it has the exposed hammer and is single action. Very fun to play with and very accurate to be such a little firearm because of the single action. It has the wood grips and stainless steel barrel and is gorgeous in my opinion.

Lastly, I own a Kahr PM9 which is a compact 9mm. Sweet little gun and super accurate to be that small and firing a 9mm round.

If you like to look at different guns and hear about the pros and cons I would highly recommend watching Hancock45 on YouTube. He has the most awesome shooting range in his backyard I've ever seen and I don't think there is a firearm made he hasn't reviewed.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

I have a few guns. Been shooting since I was 10 with my dad. Right now, I'm lusting after the Sig Sauer P226 Legion Series in .357 Sig and .40 convertible. Just something I think is very cool.

My pride and joy is my Smith & Wesson .38 Special M&P 6" barrel round heel revolver. It's from 1928, and it was my great grandfather's last service piece when he retired from the secret service. It's in almost perfect condition with just the slightest wear on the muzzle and cylinder edge from him holstering it. I'm a sucker for old revolvers. I feel like they're tangible pieces of our history.

For home defense, I love the first gun I ever purchased with my own money. Back in 1996 when I was 21, I plunked down around $600 for an H&K USP in .40 S&W. At the time, I figured if the USP was good enough for the Navy Seals, it was good enough for me. I liked the mechanical safety and exposed hammer. It's a DA/SA. I still love that thing. Very smooth and accurate. Back then I chose the .40 over the 9mm or .45 because I was a little worried about the kick and lower capacity of a .45, but wanted more stopping power than a 9mm. The .40 seemed like a good compromise at the time, and I haven't regretted it.

I'm an NRA certified RSO and BPI (basic pistol instructor). So, you could say firearms are my job. I also write for a website called gun values board. We help people figure out the age and value of guns they've found, bought, are thinking of buying, or inherited. I work in the S&W section, but there are sections for almost any gun. There's also great advice on there for legally and safely purchasing and selling guns, and even some repair. Check it out if you want. It's completely free.

I only have one...an antique muzzle loader.

It makes a great home defense weapon. The 6' long barrel makes a great blunt weapon!

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I only have one...an antique muzzle loader.

It makes a great home defense weapon. The 6' long barrel makes a great blunt weapon!
    I have one like it but the holster hits my ankle when I walk.

Any advice for a first-time buyer? I keep putting it off because I'd like to get in some range time to evaluate options. I want something usable for CC, which probably means on the smaller side since I'm a short guy.

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    Any advice for a first-time buyer? I keep putting it off because I'd like to get in some range time to evaluate options. I want something usable for CC, which probably means on the smaller side since I'm a short guy.
    Take a look at the KelTec line. I have two and find them quite reliable. You can have .32, .380 or 9mm in a very concealable weapon.

There are tons of things to think about with CC but the absolute most important piece of advice I can give you is purchase a firearm you can comfortably carry. If you don't you will not carry it. You might think you will but I'm telling you if it is cumbersome in the least you will quit carrying it.

There are tons of epic debates about carrying .380's for personal defense and whether or not it's enough but if you buy bigger and don't carry it, then what do you have? YMMV and you may be able to carry something larger just fine and plenty of people do but my personal experience is start small and if you are comfortable then try something larger. Usually folks do just the opposite. My Sig P238 fits this bill perfectly as I hardly ever carry anything larger anymore.

Also, I'll second your own advice about trying out options on the range first.

Definitely see what's comfortable in the hand as well as to conceal. Take a course. Or two. Or three. Practice A LOT. If this is your first gun purchase, and you have limited experience with firearms in general, I know it's cliche, but nothing is safer and more reliable than a good, old-fashioned revolver. There are several of them that are easily concealed. Reliability and repeatability are SO important, especially if the unthinkable happens and you have to actually use it, and a revolver has, by far, the shortest path to repeatability.

If you absolutely want to go semi-auto, I really like the Smith & Wesson Shield.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Definitely see what's comfortable in the hand as well as to conceal. Take a course. Or two. Or three. Practice A LOT. If this is your first gun purchase, and you have limited experience with firearms in general, I know it's cliche, but nothing is safer and more reliable than a good, old-fashioned revolver. There are several of them that are easily concealed. Reliability and repeatability are SO important, especially if the unthinkable happens and you have to actually use it, and a revolver has, by far, the shortest path to repeatability.

[B][B]If you absolutely want to go semi-auto, I really like the Smith & Wesson Shield.
    I will second this.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    If you absolutely want to go semi-auto, I really like the Smith & Wesson Shield.
    I love the M&P line from Smith & Wesson. I have the FS .40 cal, as well as the Shield for my concealed carry. Love the single stack of the Shield - conceals nicely.

What everyone here has suggested has been great advice. the Keltec PF-9 would be a fine choice. They retail for around $350 brand new and are very reliable, and easy for cc.

If you have smaller hands, the Glock 26 (9) or Glock 27 (40) are nice choices as well, if you don't mind paying about $200 more. If you are OK with a .380, the Glock 42 is a great single stack .380 so you may prefer it over the others named since you are smaller framed. The 42 may actually be my next purchase as the 19 can be a little more difficult to carry in the summer time. Can you tell I'm a Glock fanboy?

But again, you can'y go wrong with anything that has already been suggested. Smith and Wesson makes some great options, as well as Ruger. I would recommend checking out different manufacturers websites to see what is available, and of course, go to a local gun range and shoot a few different styles.

IMO, the debate over caliber size for handguns is pointless. As a previous poster said, get what you are comfortable with. I would also add that hollow point ammo is the only kind of ammunition I recommend for concealed carry.

My top five CC weapons and most of my friends favorites, (all military with combat experience)

1. Glock 19
    2. Glock 19
    3. Glock 19
    4. Glock 19
    5. Glock 19

and if I had to pick a sixth

6. Glock 19

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    I'm similar to you as I don't hunt (like to fish though) and like to visit the range on occasion. I also have a Glock 19 but mine is a 4th gen. It's hard to beat a Glock for reliability and ease of use.

I also have a Sig Sauer P238 which is a really cool little .380. It's built like a miniature 1911 in that it has the exposed hammer and is single action. Very fun to play with and very accurate to be such a little firearm because of the single action. It has the wood grips and stainless steel barrel and is gorgeous in my opinion.

Lastly, I own a Kahr PM9 which is a compact 9mm. Sweet little gun and super accurate to be that small and firing a 9mm round.

If you like to look at different guns and hear about the pros and cons I would highly recommend watching Hancock45 on YouTube. He has the most awesome shooting range in his backyard I've ever seen and I don't think there is a firearm made he hasn't reviewed.
    Love that guy, but I think it is hickok45. I have been subscribed to him for a while, and I agree, his range is bad-I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.!

Love that guy, but I think it is hickok45. I have been subscribed to him for a while, and I agree, his range is bad-I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.!
    You are right, it is Hickok45

Ithaca Single shot 12 gauge shotgun.

.357 magnum Smith and Wesson revolver.

Eight shot Ruger double action .22 revolver.

Strictly home defense, as I don't hunt, but may take it up when I've caught all the bass on earth. But since I practice catch and release, that's not possible.

I just recently purchased my first handgun, a Smith & Wesson MP Shield 9mm. Last week I shot a friend's Glock 19 and loved it. Thinking about buying one for myself. It seemed more accurate on the range and held 14 bullets. The S&W would probably be better sized for concealed use though.
    Tom Mac

I have always liked wheel guns. I have a Smith & Wesson 642 that, with +P ammo is quite a weapon. In considering concealed carry, I look at weight and dimensions. I have no expectation of getting into a Falusia style gunfight, so large capacity mags or # of cylinders is not a concern. Double stack mags just get too thick. That is one reason I like the KelTec PF-9 - 12.9 oz empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I have always liked wheel guns. I have a Smith & Wesson 642 that, with +P ammo is quite a weapon.
    Cool! The .38 Special Centennial Airweight stainless shrouded. Awesome gun. Do you have the Lady Smith version (probably not) or the original with the black rubber grips? Do you have the post 1996 version or the pre 1992?