Thread: Loki Season 2

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Loki Season 2

Amazingly, wife is stoked for this one. Like literally yelling from the other room "Hey did you know that Loki 2 is out?!"

I question which variant she is. We'll find out when we watch this weekend while camping.
    I'm curious to know how much of anything we need to know since the first outing, I've not watched a single Marvel movie with Kang yet.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I have seen the first 4 episodes and... well... I was underwhelmed.

The first season was really about exploring the development of these characters (especially Loki and Sylvie). This season largely eschews character development for quests -- "We need to find A to do B which will solve problem C." It is fine, but lacks some of the spark and surprise that made season 1 so great. There is a lot of technological gobblygook coming out of their mouths that had me rolling my eyes. A lot of the season thus far has been a battle of sorts for control of the TVA, which comes out of left field and doesn't feel consistent with what was set up in season 1 at all. There are characters who act completely differently in season two than they did in season one with no real explanation for why.

Lastly there is the character of He Who Remains/Kang/Victor Timely... I have no idea what they are doing with this character in season two. He's timid, has a stutter, and seems anything but imposing. There was a menacing and confident quality to both He Who Remains and Kang
    that doesn't show up at all in Victor Timely. It really serves to undo much of the drama that was these characters in other iterations.

Everything in season two happens either at the TVA or on Earth. There is zero jumping around to other planets or places in the multiverse. That just feels like lazy writing and cheap producing and it makes the whole thing feel small and unimportant compared to Season 1.

I'm not saying the series is bad or not worth watching, but temper your expectations. I will say that episode 4 ended on a banger of a cliffhanger and I am eager to see where it goes next.

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I probably wrote more in the above post, but here is my 100 word review of Loki Season Two--

https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2023/1...iews-loki.html
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Did you have a preview copy? It starts tonight for us normal folks, right?

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    Did you have a preview copy? It starts tonight for us normal folks, right?
    Yes, I believe the first two episodes drop tonight (Ep 1 is just a quest to stop Loki from slipping through time) and future episodes drop one-at-a-time each Thursday over the next month. Critics were given screeners of the first 4 episodes.

As I said, episode 4 ends on a whale of a cliffhanger.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    We watched the first episode tonight and had lots of fun. It was a little confusing, but not too bad. Ke Huy Quan's character is great!

The end credits scene was an enjoyable blast from the past.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

The first season had the same director (Kate Herron) for all 6 episodes, and Michael Waldron was the show-runner and lead writer. Herron is not back for the second season, and I believe Waldron is only a producer this season, with show-running/head writer duties taken up by Eric Martin (who, it should be said, was on the writing staff in season 1).

There are certainly other variables between Season 1 and Season 2, but one has to wonder if turnover in significant behind-the-camera staffs plays a role in the change of tone & approach for the show. I do believe Loki Season 1 stands head and shoulders above all the other MCU shows to-date (maybe just a head, no shoulders, above WandaVision), largely for the character work and for the unsettling but exhilarating feeling of being unmoored from the typical plot anchors of most comic book films/shows. I really had no idea where the show would turn in each episode from a character, plot, and setting standpoint.