Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    Any advice for a first-time buyer? I keep putting it off because I'd like to get in some range time to evaluate options. I want something usable for CC, which probably means on the smaller side since I'm a short guy.
    My top five CC weapons and most of my friends favorites, (all military with combat experience)

1. Glock 19
    2. Glock 19
    3. Glock 19
    4. Glock 19
    5. Glock 19

and if I had to pick a sixth

6. Glock 19

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Cool! The .38 Special Centennial Airweight stainless shrouded. Awesome gun. Do you have the Lady Smith version (probably not) or the original with the black rubber grips? Do you have the post 1996 version or the pre 1992?
    I got mine in the 80's. It has stock rubber grips. Hundreds of rounds through it makes it shoot like an old friend.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Any fellow gun enthusiasts on DBR? What do you have? What do you want? If you have one, what is your EDC? Do you hunt or just shoot for fun?

I have never hunted, not really my thing as I could never kill an animal, but I do love going to the range. Right now all I have is a Glock 19 (3rd gen) that I got as a gift from my father about a year ago. It is the perfect handgun in my opinion because of it's versatility. The high capacity and concealable design make it ideal for those of us who don't have the means for an arsenal of handguns. It's recent adoption from the Navy Seals and USMC says a lot about the 19's reliability, imo. Being a 9mm, it is also budget friendly to shoot.

What do you guys/gals have?
    Glock fan here. Can't beat them. I have the GEN4 G19 & G22, and my wife has the GEN3 G26. All of them shoot great. I grew up hunting and fishing so have always had shotguns and rifles since I was a kid. started with the Daisy Pump BB Gun, then a Crossman Multi-Pump Crossman Pellet Rifle. It was a lot of fun squirrel hunting with that one! You had to be a great shot. I killed my fair share. Graduated to a 22 Rifle sometime around 11 or 12. Had that an a .410 single shot, shotgun. I was so small I was well into my teens before my shoulder could endure the recoil of a 12 Gauge.

I rarely hunt much anymore but we enjoy target shooting. It's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Glock fan here. Can't beat them. I have the GEN4 G19 & G22, and my wife has the GEN3 G26. All of them shoot great. I grew up hunting and fishing so have always had shotguns and rifles since I was a kid. started with the Daisy Pump BB Gun, then a Crossman Multi-Pump Crossman Pellet Rifle. It was a lot of fun squirrel hunting with that one! You had to be a great shot. I killed my fair share. Graduated to a 22 Rifle sometime around 11 or 12. Had that an a .410 single shot, shotgun. I was so small I was well into my teens before my shoulder could endure the recoil of a 12 Gauge.

I rarely hunt much anymore but we enjoy target shooting. It's fun.
    When I was 9 or 10 I went with my neighborhood best friend to his Uncle's farm up in south Alabama. Red clay everywhere. We went out back with his Uncle and he had is shotgun with him. I had been shooting .22's and even .38 revolvers by then, but never a shotgun. I put that 12 ga to my shoulder, aimed, squeezed the trigger and landed on my butt. A heck of an experience that I will never forget - though it was a lot of years ago now.

I have a sako 308 .ar 15 shoots both 5.56 and 223.a m1 garand .i have two rugur p95 dc one 9mm one 40.
    For home defense we have a utility mag pump 12 guage from mossburg.i use #6 bird shot .havent shot any of them in a while. I need to though.

... started with the Daisy Pump BB Gun...
    You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    When I was 9 or 10 I went with my neighborhood best friend to his Uncle's farm up in south Alabama. Red clay everywhere. We went out back with his Uncle and he had is shotgun with him. I had been shooting .22's and even .38 revolvers by then, but never a shotgun. I put that 12 ga to my shoulder, aimed, squeezed the trigger and landed on my butt. A heck of an experience that I will never forget - though it was a lot of years ago now.
    Funny story about shotguns:
    I lived on a farm as a kid. When I was 6, I started bugging my dad for a 12 gauge shotgun. To dissuade me, he told me that if I could shoot his 12 gauge pump three times, he would get me one for Christmas. He loaded it with super high power shells, knowing it would knock my scrawny butt on the ground. It did. With tears in my eyes, I got back up and repeated the sequence two more times. He muttered a few of his words (learned in the Navy, but forbidden by mom), but kept his word . . . sorta.

He got me a 12 gauge, 34" barrel, full choke, breach action shotgun, thinking that I would not be able to break it open to actually load it. Initially I couldn't, but after trying for several days I found that if I sat the stock on the ground with my legs wrapped around the stock, I could break it open using my arms and back. Again he muttered the forbidden words. After some serious safety lessons (he was a Gunners Mate in the Navy) he and I became hunting partners.

Still have that shotgun,along with his 12 gauge pump (RIP, dad). Since then I also added a .22 semi automatic rifle, a single shot .22 rifle, a S&W .357 revolver, and a S&W MR15.

Just for the record, I would like to state that if a novice wants to purchase a handgun for protection, I highly recommend that you consider a revolver instead of a semi automatic. There are far too many accidental firings of semi's by inexperienced users (and even absent minded experienced users). And in either case, please take safety courses and refresher courses!!!

(And no, my dad passed away from natural causes, not from hunting with his idiot son.)
    Last edited by TruBlu; 12-15-2016 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Clarification

Great story. You remind me of myself... very stubborn.

Interesting thread. I am confused, since most are using handguns. I thought that for home defense (as opposed to CC) the general rule was that a pump shotgun would be the best all around weapon. Is this wrong?
    I currently own no weapon, last one was a Ruger 22 rifle for killing groundhogs at a country home I owned. Quite effective if you could get two quick shots in.
    We travel a lot (by motorhome), and there seems to be confusion about CC from state to state (at least I was confused). I could carry a shotgun in the motorhome, as many friends do, and have some protection that way.
    I am willing to be educated.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Interesting thread. I am confused, since most are using handguns. I thought that for home defense (as opposed to CC) the general rule was that a pump shotgun would be the best all around weapon. Is this wrong?
    I currently own no weapon, last one was a Ruger 22 rifle for killing groundhogs at a country home I owned. Quite effective if you could get two quick shots in.
    We travel a lot (by motorhome), and there seems to be confusion about CC from state to state (at least I was confused). I could carry a shotgun in the motorhome, as many friends do, and have some protection that way.
    Pump action shotguns are solid guns for home defense if you have the money. They are better for the "fortified" home defense method I talked about earlier upthread. Some people worry if they are going to roam the house that the two feet of steel preceding the home owner around corners can cause issues (from announcing your presence to being vulnerable to grabbing in close).

However, many people can't afford multiple guns so a handgun is often better for all around use. Recent advances in hollow point ammo have helped handguns make up some ground on the shotgun.

As for concealed carry laws in states, they change all the time. Best thing to do is check http://www.handgunlaw.us as they have an interactive map updated constantly with the laws of each state. There are some wild laws out there, so I recommend checking often. In DC, for example, you can be arrested for having a spent shell casing in your car. How crazy is that?!

Pump action shotguns are solid guns for home defense if you have the money. They are better for the "fortified" home defense method I talked about earlier upthread. Some people worry if they are going to roam the house that the two feet of steel preceding the home owner around corners can cause issues (from announcing your presence to being vulnerable to grabbing in close).

However, many people can't afford multiple guns so a handgun is often better for all around use. Recent advances in hollow point ammo have helped handguns make up some ground on the shotgun.

As for concealed carry laws in states, they change all the time. Best thing to do is check http://www.handgunlaw.us as they have an interactive map updated constantly with the laws of each state. There are some wild laws out there, so I recommend checking often. In DC, for example, you can be arrested for having a spent shell casing in your car. How crazy is that?!
    The website I mentioned includes laws for carrying firearms of all types through states/DC in an RV or other vehicle for many states.

Several great thoughts and words of advice upthread. I'd also advise that, if you have a concealed carry permit, to look up reciprocity agreements between states. My wife carries a concealed carry S&W Airweight .38 (has a nice little CC pouch in her purse), has a NC CC permit, and is very careful about looking up reciprocity for any states we're driving to, or through.

Our primary home defense weapon is Casey, our 85 pound Czech Border Patrol German Shepherd. Our secondary home defense weapon is a Mossberg 500 Tactical 12 gauge shotgun. The 18.5 inch barrel makes it easier for moving around the house. Fine piece of equipment. Looks and sounds almost as intimidating as Casey, and is almost as lethal. But, lets be honest, if I had to choose one or the other to clear the house of bad guys, I'd take Casey. Fortunately, I don't have to go with "or". "Or" sucks. I'll take the b-a dog AND the b-a shotgun.

My wife and I each have a S&W Airweight, although I still need to take the time to get my CC permit. So my Airweight is currently our tertiary home defense weapon, since I can't really take it out anywhere. So, I rely on harsh language and/or the forbearance of my fellow man for personal defense when I'm out and about (assuming I don't have Casey with me). My wife, having a more practical nature, has her CC and relies on hollow point .38 cal rounds in her Airweight for personal defense when she's out and about. So far, fortunately, our tactics have been equally effective.

We have a S&W MP 15 for target shooting but it has no functional home defense use in our house given that the houses of our burbclave have typical TMAWH orientation and construction and I'm not particularly interested in shooting through the bad guy, my wall, the neighbors wall, and the neighbor.

PS: Bonus points and eternal respect for correctly identifying the literary reference in my last paragraph.

Sorry, I can't identify it. However, I love it and use it at least once or twice a year. I'd love to know where I heard it.

As for the CC laws, that handgunlaws.us website I linked above has the reciprocity laws for each state. I use it all the time. There are some books about it, but the laws change so often that many of them are obselete by the time you can read them.

Sorry, I can't identify it. However, I love it and use it at least once or twice a year. I'd love to know where I heard it.

As for the CC laws, that handgunlaws.us website I linked above has the reciprocity laws for each state. I use it all the time. There are some books about it, but the laws change so often that many of them are obselete by the time you can read them.
    Thanks for that. I'll bookmark it. I think my wife has gone through the effort of going to each state's website. This looks easier.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    You are correct in that the shotgun is the best option for sure. Especially for females. Having both that and a good handgun is a bonus for sure. Also, just a note... in all states except for New Jersey, and I think California, possibly New York too, it is legal to carry a handgun in a vehicle as long as it isn't concealed, which in reality means, place it on the dash if you go through a license check, or get pulled. Most people are confused on that and think you need a permit. You don't. NC is actually an open carry state, meaning you can carry your handgun in a holster on your hip or whatever legally. There are several other states that are open carry. That said, for those that do own handguns and carry them in their vehicle some of the time or all of the time, I always recommend that them and their spouse get their CC License. It's important that both do it in cases where maybe the husband has his CC and has a handgun in his vehicle, forgets to remove it and the wife hops in the vehicle and drives it not knowing the gun is in there.

In most states, it is not against the law and one does not need a permit to have a long gun (shotgun or rifle) in their vehicle. The shotgun would be a great choice for your motorhome. Especially the Mossberg w/18in Barrel mentioned up thread. Just be sure to check the website linked by others to educate yourself on the laws and rules in any state you may be traveling through or to.

Hope that helps!

You are correct in that the shotgun is the best option for sure. Especially for females. Having both that and a good handgun is a bonus for sure. Also, just a note... in all states except for New Jersey, and I think California, possibly New York too, it is legal to carry a handgun in a vehicle as long as it isn't concealed, which in reality means, place it on the dash if you go through a license check, or get pulled. Most people are confused on that and think you need a permit. You don't. NC is actually an open carry state, meaning you can carry your handgun in a holster on your hip or whatever legally. There are several other states that are open carry. That said, for those that do own handguns and carry them in their vehicle some of the time or all of the time, I always recommend that them and their spouse get their CC License. It's important that both do it in cases where maybe the husband has his CC and has a handgun in his vehicle, forgets to remove it and the wife hops in the vehicle and drives it not knowing the gun is in there.

In most states, it is not against the law and one does not need a permit to have a long gun (shotgun or rifle) in their vehicle. The shotgun would be a great choice for your motorhome. Especially the Mossberg w/18in Barrel mentioned up thread. Just be sure to check the website linked by others to educate yourself on the laws and rules in any state you may be traveling through or to.

Hope that helps!
    Nah, way to common sense. You need more statistics and advanced metrics to make a meaningful argument. Also, the post needs to be about 15 paragraphs longer.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post

We have a S&W MP 15 for target shooting but it has no functional home defense use in our house given that the houses of our burbclave have typical TMAWH orientation and construction and I'm not particularly interested in shooting through the bad guy, my wall, the neighbors wall, and the neighbor.

PS: Bonus points and eternal respect for correctly identifying the literary reference in my last paragraph.
    Neal Stephenson?

Hope that helps!

great info! Thanks a lot.

Hope that helps!
    Woah, woah, woah. That is simply not true. MANY states require a handgun to be unloaded and locked in the trunk or in a lockbox, inaccessible the driver and passengers. There are states that allow open carry in a car, but many states, unless you have a CC for that state or one it reciprocates with, require the gun be unloaded and locked up. See here for details: http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/gun-...united-states/ These states or city (DC) that prohibit loaded handguns in cars include but are not limited to: Alabama, California, Connecticut, DC, Florida (requires snapped holster), Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine (can be in plain view but must be unloaded), Maryland, Massachussetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska (different areas have different laws), New Jersey basically doesn't want it in their state period, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Washington state. Several states that allow open carry don't want the gun accessible in the car. I guess they're trying to avoid road rage shootings.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Neal Stephenson?
    You are my Hiro Protagonist.