Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1. #1

    MBB: Week 5 AP Rankings

    So the new AP rankings came out just now. Somehow, after our win over Michigan State, our manhandling of Maine, and the return of 2 of our top 3 freshmen prospects, we sat still at No. 5 while UCLA jumped 9 spots to No. 2 and Baylor jumped 5 spots to No. 4 (don't understand how beating No. 7 vaults you to No. 4). That just doesn't make sense to me at all. Anyone agree or disagree?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by atoomer0881 View Post
    So the new AP rankings came out just now. Somehow, after our win over Michigan State, our manhandling of Maine, and the return of 2 of our top 3 freshmen prospects, we sat still at No. 5 while UCLA jumped 9 spots to No. 2 and Baylor jumped 5 spots to No. 4 (don't understand how beating No. 7 vaults you to No. 4). That just doesn't make sense to me at all. Anyone agree or disagree?
    Baylor is getting lots of love because they now have 3 wins over top-10 teams: Oregon, Louisville, and Creighton (plus another one over then-#24 Michigan State). It's pretty tough to argue against that resume (and indeed, Baylor even got 6 first place votes).
    UCLA vaults thanks to a high-profile win over big, bad Kentucky (at Rupp, no less). Hard to argue against that win too; it's worlds better than anything on our resume.
    I don't care about December polls. I'm more than confident that the conference season will sort things out, the cream will rise to the top, and we'll be right in the mix at season's end. Plus, we're still ranked ahead of the cheats.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Baylor is getting lots of love because they now have 3 wins over top-10 teams: Oregon, Louisville, and Baylor (plus another one over then-#24 Michigan State). It's pretty tough to argue against that resume.
    UCLA vaults thanks to a high-profile win over big, bad Kentucky (at Rupp, no less). Hard to argue against that win too; it's worlds better than anything on our resume.
    I don't care about December polls. I'm more than confident that the conference season will sort things out, the cream will rise to the top, and we'll be right in the mix at season's end.
    Agree with everything in this post. Baylor and UCLA absolutely deserve to be ranked ahead of Duke. They have better resumes with zero losses.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

    President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by atoomer0881 View Post
    So the new AP rankings came out just now. Somehow, after our win over Michigan State, our manhandling of Maine, and the return of 2 of our top 3 freshmen prospects, we sat still at No. 5 while UCLA jumped 9 spots to No. 2 and Baylor jumped 5 spots to No. 4 (don't understand how beating No. 7 vaults you to No. 4). That just doesn't make sense to me at all. Anyone agree or disagree?
    Don't sweat it.

    I have no problem with UCLA and Baylor jumping ... in fact, if we were going strictly by resumes, I'd vote Baylor No. 1 -- wins over Oregon, Michigan State, Xavier, Louisville, VCU. Anybody else got six top 50 wins (and that doesn't count a very solid Florida Gulf Coast team)?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Don't sweat it.

    I have no problem with UCLA and Baylor jumping ... in fact, if we were going strictly by resumes, I'd vote Baylor No. 1 -- wins over Oregon, Michigan State, Xavier, Louisville, VCU. Anybody else got six top 50 wins (and that doesn't count a very solid Florida Gulf Coast team)?
    good to see crazy go nuts university back playing some good ball again!
    It's being reported that due to coronavirus fears, Harvard has asked students not to return from spring break, and for classes to be held online.

    Not to be outdone, UNC told students to stop coming to class 27 years ago under Dean Smith.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I don't care about December polls. I'm more than confident that the conference season will sort things out, the cream will rise to the top, and we'll be right in the mix at season's end. Plus, we're still ranked ahead of the cheats.
    All of this is the most important. Anyone who believes us not to be a top team will be served some crow between now and March.

    Have faith in the system. We are very good and getting better.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    All that matters is that we are ahead of the two lesser blues.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  8. #8
    I don't have a problem with it. UCLA and Baylor have some of the best wins of any team out there and they are undefeated. We'll have our time soon enough. The thing that makes college basketball better than college football is a.) the polls don't mean much and b) there's more games to average things out so that a team is not overranked just by having a handful of good wins, they've got to do it over the long haul and show those wins were who they really are.

  9. #9
    I agree with everyone about Baylor -- they not only have the wins against a bunch of top teams, but they demolished both Oregon and Michigan State.

    UCLA, though, I disagree. They have one decent win (two if you count Texas A&M). Pulling an upset, even a good one, doesn't make you the #2 team in the country. That's Bill-Walton-champion thinking.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    FWIW the Coach's poll has us at #4 (with 2 first place votes), ahead of UNCheat and then Baylor.

    We are in the top 5; ahead of the heels; and we have two of our three big freshmen just starting. I'm copacetic.
    "We're only tourists in this life
    Only tourists but the view is nice"

    -- David Byrne

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I agree with everyone about Baylor -- they not only have the wins against a bunch of top teams, but they demolished both Oregon and Michigan State.

    UCLA, though, I disagree. They have one decent win (two if you count Texas A&M). Pulling an upset, even a good one, doesn't make you the #2 team in the country. That's Bill-Walton-champion thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    FWIW the Coach's poll has us at #4 (with 2 first place votes), ahead of UNCheat and then Baylor.

    We are in the top 5; ahead of the heels; and we have two of our three big freshmen just starting. I'm copacetic.
    I certainly don't discredit what Baylor has done this season. But to my understanding the rankings aren't really supposed to look at body of work. That's what seeding is for in the Tournament. Rankings usually look at "what did you do this week?" And yes, sometimes I think it spills over into several weeks to see how you've been playing. But body of work doesn't always matter. It's why when you are undefeated and 17-0 and No. 1 in the country with wins over several top teams, if you lose your 18th game, you drop. Maybe you drop to 3 or 4, but the AP voters usually won't look at your body of work and say let's keep them at No. 1.

    I agree with Kedsy and have less an issue with Baylor as I do UCLA. At least Baylor has been steadily climbing the rankings. That said I still see no reason why they couldn't have jumped from No. 9 to No. 5 after defeating a No. 7 Xavier. But I really disagree with UCLA. There is no reason No. 11 should jump 9 spots to No. 2 because they happened to beat the No. 1 team. I mean if that's the measuring stick, then why didn't Kansas jump to No. 1 after defeating us? For me I think Villanova should have moved to No. 1, Kansas to No. 2, and Duke to No. 3. Baylor could have jumped to No. 4, and UCLA could have jumped to No. 5. That seems like a more realistic move for one week of basketball. Did UCLA prove they are a top 5 team by beating Kentucky? I'd say yes, but I certainly wouldn't say they deserve to be No. 2 right now. Just my two cents.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    All that matters is that we are ahead of the two lesser blues.
    As we are the Mo' Better Blue.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Apparently this is the first time in 22 years that Duke, UNC, UCLA, Kentucky, Kansas, and Indiana are all in the top 10 in the same week.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

    You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

    You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Macon, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by atoomer0881 View Post
    I certainly don't discredit what Baylor has done this season. But to my understanding the rankings aren't really supposed to look at body of work. That's what seeding is for in the Tournament. Rankings usually look at "what did you do this week?" And yes, sometimes I think it spills over into several weeks to see how you've been playing. But body of work doesn't always matter. It's why when you are undefeated and 17-0 and No. 1 in the country with wins over several top teams, if you lose your 18th game, you drop. Maybe you drop to 3 or 4, but the AP voters usually won't look at your body of work and say let's keep them at No. 1.

    I agree with Kedsy and have less an issue with Baylor as I do UCLA. At least Baylor has been steadily climbing the rankings. That said I still see no reason why they couldn't have jumped from No. 9 to No. 5 after defeating a No. 7 Xavier. But I really disagree with UCLA. There is no reason No. 11 should jump 9 spots to No. 2 because they happened to beat the No. 1 team. I mean if that's the measuring stick, then why didn't Kansas jump to No. 1 after defeating us? For me I think Villanova should have moved to No. 1, Kansas to No. 2, and Duke to No. 3. Baylor could have jumped to No. 4, and UCLA could have jumped to No. 5. That seems like a more realistic move for one week of basketball. Did UCLA prove they are a top 5 team by beating Kentucky? I'd say yes, but I certainly wouldn't say they deserve to be No. 2 right now. Just my two cents.
    I don't think there's any specific guidelines to AP poll voting. Probably why there's usually some inconsistency and unhappy fan bases with it.

    It should be noted that UCLA is undefeated, something Kansas couldn't claim after beating us. Also that UCLA win is the best win in the country so far. They beat the #1 team in a true road game. That's big even if it's early in the year. Lot's of games left to be played though.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cabbagetown, Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by atoomer0881 View Post
    I certainly don't discredit what Baylor has done this season. But to my understanding the rankings aren't really supposed to look at body of work. That's what seeding is for in the Tournament. Rankings usually look at "what did you do this week?" And yes, sometimes I think it spills over into several weeks to see how you've been playing. But body of work doesn't always matter. It's why when you are undefeated and 17-0 and No. 1 in the country with wins over several top teams, if you lose your 18th game, you drop. Maybe you drop to 3 or 4, but the AP voters usually won't look at your body of work and say let's keep them at No. 1.
    By your own definition, though, ranking look more at what you didn't do this week. If you don't lose (you win your games), you stay put or you move up slightly.

    If you win a particularly big game (UCLA) you are more likely to move up than if you did not win a big game (Creighton).

    Body of work is important too. Until Kansas loses again, it will be hard to rank us ahead of them, since we lost the head to head matchup. Of course by the methodology behind the poll, they'll stay ahead of us by virtue of not losing anyway.

    A big game/big win like UCLA taking out Kentucky at home tends to move the needle a bit more earlier in the season, before the dust has settled a bit and we have a better idea of just how good some of the teams are.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Apparently this is the first time in 22 years that Duke, UNC, UCLA, Kentucky, Kansas, and Indiana are all in the top 10 in the same week.
    Replying to myself - the other 4 teams to round out the top 10 that poll (January 17, 1994) were Arkansas, UMass, Arizona, and UConn. In terms of overall program history, that has to be one of the best top 10s of all time - the "other" programs collectively have 6 championships and 16* final fours to go along with the 37 championships** and 92 final fours* of the big 6. This year's group is Villanova, Baylor, Gonzaga, and Creighton, which is a step down.

    *includes one vacated
    **does not include bakery championships
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

    You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

    You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Apparently this is the first time in 22 years that Duke, UNC, UCLA, Kentucky, Kansas, and Indiana are all in the top 10 in the same week.
    It certainly isn't Duke fault that it has taken so long for such a thing to occur. UNLA and Indiana are almost certainly the teams in that group who have spent the most weeks outside the Top 10 during the past 22 years..
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Replying to myself - the other 4 teams to round out the top 10 that poll (January 17, 1994) were Arkansas, UMass, Arizona, and UConn. In terms of overall program history, that has to be one of the best top 10s of all time - the "other" programs collectively have 6 championships and 16* final fours to go along with the 37 championships** and 92 final fours* of the big 6. This year's group is Villanova, Baylor, Gonzaga, and Creighton, which is a step down.

    *includes one vacated
    **does not include bakery championships
    It's pretty close to the best top 10 of all time. Louisville, with their 3 titles, is sitting at #11. With two titles each, Florida (#21) and Cincy (#22) are close to making the Top 10 with a nice run this year. Michigan State (also 2 titles) has the talent to make it back there too. The only team truly struggling with multiple championships is UCONN (3-4).

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Replying to myself - the other 4 teams to round out the top 10 that poll (January 17, 1994) were Arkansas, UMass, Arizona, and UConn. In terms of overall program history, that has to be one of the best top 10s of all time - the "other" programs collectively have 6 championships and 16* final fours to go along with the 37 championships** and 92 final fours* of the big 6. This year's group is Villanova, Baylor, Gonzaga, and Creighton, which is a step down.

    *includes one vacated
    **does not include bakery championships
    Interesting that Krzyzewski, Williams and Calipari are the three coaches to be at the helm of top 10 teams in both polls, 22 years apart.

  20. #20
    The prob tho with saying this team beat such and such starts making it a football thing. By that virtue every team that has made a huge upset already should be in the top 10. It's also a bit much to say that UCLA should jump that many spots because UK was number 1. UK was number 1 by default., They had no big wins can't play defense worth a flip, but somehow beating them gets you 9 spots. So I guess we can expect some SEC teams making major poll jumps when UK loses a few games here and there. We all know good and well that when UCLA loses the first game that they shouldn't they won't fall 9 spots, because then it will be said oh they beat the number 1 team so not gonna punish them. So basically UCLA is the flavor of the week.

Similar Threads

  1. ACC Efficiency Rankings (Week 8) - One Week Left
    By loran16 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2011, 10:42 AM
  2. ACC Efficiency Rankings (Week 2)
    By loran16 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-22-2011, 11:14 AM
  3. Rankings for the week of March 1
    By GODUKEGO in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 03-01-2010, 07:57 PM
  4. Top 25 Rankings week of 2/1/2010
    By rotogod00 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 02-01-2010, 08:40 PM
  5. ESPN/USA rankings week of 2/23
    By jv001 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 02-26-2009, 05:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •